BFTG - Preston (a)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Preston (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 23:14

2 world wars, 1 world cup Big question of the day:

Did Charlie Adam sing for The Communards?

That was Ian Hislop.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Dec 2019 00:09

Hound Just listening to Bowen’s interview

He’s genuinely the first manager for a while I enjoy listening to. Rather than just bland cliches he does give a bit of insight into what the plans were etc

The stuff about just keeping positions and ‘enjoying defending’ are quite interesting imo

Clarke and Clement were known for the cliches. Adkins was likeable but slightly odd

Gomes said the right things but it was a bit repetitive after losing our tenth game in a row

Stam’s used to drive me mental, by large the bloke could talk nonsense

To be honest, most press conferences are pointless, as a manager, you’re very unlikely
To reveal your tactics or throw your players under the bus

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2019 08:11

Snowflake Royal

That was Ian Hislop.

Haha oh yeah

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2019 08:37

URZZZZ

He’s genuinely the first manager for a while I enjoy listening to. Rather than just bland cliches he does give a bit of insight into what the plans were etc

The stuff about just keeping positions and ‘enjoying defending’ are quite interesting imo

Clarke and Clement were known for the cliches. Adkins was likeable but slightly odd

Gomes said the right things but it was a bit repetitive after losing our tenth game in a row

To be honest, most press conferences are pointless, as a manager, you’re very unlikely

Press conferences are easy when you win.

When Stam started people loved his press conferences.
When Clement started, people loved his press conferences and said he was refreshingly honest and open.
Same for Gomes.
Now same for Bowen.

If he starts doing badly (which hopefully won't happen), he'll be derided for cliched bullshit interviews.

It's also hard to Keep saying open, honest and interesting things after 20 games, when all the questions are exactly the same and largely inane each time.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 31 Dec 2019 08:56

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

When Clement started, people loved his press conferences and said he was refreshingly honest and open.
Same for Gomes.
Now same for Bowen.

If he starts doing badly (which hopefully won't happen), he'll be derided for cliched bullshit interviews.

It's also hard to Keep saying open, honest and interesting things after 20 games, when all the questions are exactly the same and largely inane each time.

Going off-piste from "cliched bullshit interviews" when doing badly did not work out well for Rogers!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2019 10:06

When's the last time we won 3 in a row?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2019 10:09

2 world wars, 1 world cup When's the last time we won 3 in a row?

Looks like it was 4th April 2017. We also had a 4 in a row earlier that season.

We need to beat that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2019 11:27

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Same for Gomes.
Now same for Bowen.

I can’t say I ever learnt too much from the others though. I’m not sure people loved Gomes, Stam or Clements interviews as such. Gomes waffled positive vibes which was fine at the time but grew very tired, Clement was just brutally honest when maybe he shouldn’t have been and Stam’s were always awful

I listen to Bowen’s and can actually see what he means after watching a match. Where the emphasis has been - ie playing deep, winning second ball, asking Blackett to sit rather than go forward etc. Sure it will wear off (and the ‘nasty’ is already wearing a little thin), but for now I actually look forward to hearing or reading them

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2019 12:17

Hound
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Same for Gomes.
Now same for Bowen.

I can’t say I ever learnt too much from the others though. I’m not sure people loved Gomes, Stam or Clements interviews as such. Gomes waffled positive vibes which was fine at the time but grew very tired, Clement was just brutally honest when maybe he shouldn’t have been and Stam’s were always awful

I listen to Bowen’s and can actually see what he means after watching a match. Where the emphasis has been - ie playing deep, winning second ball, asking Blackett to sit rather than go forward etc. Sure it will wear off (and the ‘nasty’ is already wearing a little thin), but for now I actually look forward to hearing or reading them

For me interviews are really only worth it when there are some direct decent Qs and not the usual cliche "You must be happy/disappointed with that?" etc, usually ends up with a telling response as managers aren't usually good at evading like politicians are.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head

- that question to Brendan --> he imploded.
- Direct Q to Stam abotu persevering with Stamball --> he basically revealed he had little control over the players anymore
- " for Jose
- the question to Clement(?) about Barrow --> pretty much admitted the rift iirc
- that question to Coppell about the windmill .... (ok this one might not have happened).

I'm sure I'm missing loads.

I think Dellor is quite good at working out what needs to be asked and has no fear doing so. When we win it's all quite boring really nothing to say. It's really only when things are going badly and especially when the manager is in trouble that there may be something interesting to ask.

One Q they mentioned post match for Bowen is would he have chosen 442 had it not been imposed on him by injuries. That'd be a good one to get an answer to, not that it matters anyway.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Dec 2019 13:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Hound
Snowflake Royal Press conferences are easy when you win.

Same for Gomes.
Now same for Bowen.

For me interviews are really only worth it when there are some direct decent Qs and not the usual cliche "You must be happy/disappointed with that?" etc, usually ends up with a telling response as managers aren't usually good at evading like politicians are.

- Direct Q to Stam abotu persevering with Stamball --> he basically revealed he had little control over the players anymore
- " for Jose
- the question to Clement(?) about Barrow --> pretty much admitted the rift iirc
- that question to Coppell about the windmill .... (ok this one might not have happened).

I think Dellor is quite good at working out what needs to be asked and has no fear doing so.

Really?! IMO the guy is the irritating little kid at school, making snide remarks, trying to stir up trouble and then running off to hide behind his big, tough, brother i.e. Ady

On numerous occasions he's raised very pertinent points in discussions with Mick and Ady but not been prepared to get straight to that point with the manager. Instead he eludes to things during the interview, allowing the manager to skirt around them, and leaves it to Ady to raise the issue directly.

Perhaps understandably, he was always particularly nervy about pressing points with Stam!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2019 13:07

RoyalBlue
Hound

- " for Jose

I think Dellor is quite good at working out what needs to be asked and has no fear doing so.

Really?! IMO the guy is the irritating little kid at school, making snide remarks, trying to stir up trouble and then running off to hide behind his big, tough, brother i.e. Ady

On numerous occasions he's raised very pertinent points in discussions with Mick and Ady but not been prepared to get straight to that point with the manager. Instead he eludes to things during the interview, allowing the manager to skirt around them, and leaves it to Ady to raise the issue directly.

Perhaps understandably, he was always particularly nervy about pressing points with Stam!

Yeah I see what you're saying. Ady is more ballsy.

But remember Dellor isn't some armchair pundit who can just shout questions out at the radio or on a forum. He has to have a working relationship with managers and the club and be answerable to the BBC not to alienate people too much. I can imagine it's not easy but I have no experience I'm just speculating.

I wonder how many people here though face to face with a Reading manager or player live on air (having to keep that relationship possibly for years) would have the balls to say or ask half the stuff they come up with here. Remember Dellor is quite outspoken about stuff when chatting with Mick and Ady.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Dec 2019 13:16

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Same for Gomes.
Now same for Bowen.

I just wish managers were more honest

E.g “What did you think of the penalty decision”
Responds “I didn’t see it”

Everyone knows it’s a lie, so why bother saying it

The new one is VAR. Asking the same questions each game about it. The chances are they’ll have the exact same opinion on VAR as they did the week before

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Dec 2019 13:17

Hound
Snowflake Royal Press conferences are easy when you win.

Same for Gomes.
Now same for Bowen.

- " for Jose

I think Dellor is quite good at working out what needs to be asked and has no fear doing so. When we win it's all quite boring really nothing to say. It's really only when things are going badly and especially when the manager is in trouble that there may be something interesting to ask.

One Q they mentioned post match for Bowen is would he have chosen 442 had it not been imposed on him by injuries. That'd be a good one to get an answer to, not that it matters anyway.

The Dellor - McDermott - Vydra question too

McDermott really bit that one time (IIRC Boro away). Completely out of character for a level headed bloke

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 31 Dec 2019 17:31

Snowflake Royal

That was Ian Hislop.

David Speedie, shirley?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Dec 2019 19:19

Ark Royal
Snowflake Royal

That was Ian Hislop.

David Speedie, shirley?

Stop calling him Shirley.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jan 2020 10:42

URZZZZ The Dellor - McDermott - Vydra question too

McDermott really bit that one time (IIRC Boro away). Completely out of character for a level headed bloke

What a moment that was :D

"I'm just here to ask you the question, Brian"
"Well go on then! Ask it!"

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jan 2020 15:37

No surprise to see us take all three points from this one given that Daniel Johnson was missing for the home side.