Will we get found out again? v2

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Will we get found out again? v2

by Millsy » 02 Jan 2020 21:11

So after Gomes great run I asked this. The answer turned out to be yes. Quite easily.

Now Bowen has had his magic run with 4-4-2 I ask the same question.

Will we be found out again?

Or do we now at least have two plans to play with?

Discuss.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Will we get found out again? v2

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 21:37

So Gomes best run was P8, W3, D4, L1. Thats 1.6 ppg, and he never won 3 games in a row.

By contrast, Bowen's is:
P8, W5, D2, L1. 2.1 ppg, winning 4 games in a row.

So even if Bowen inevitably regresses and can't keep this up, he'll have to really fall apart for us to drift back into real trouble. I don't see it happening.

Quite happy with the idea that we will go on a poor run at some point, but don't think it will be too prolonged or awful.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jan 2020 21:57

Snowflake Royal So Gomes best run was P8, W3, D4, L1. Thats 1.6 ppg, and he never won 3 games in a row.

By contrast, Bowen's is:

So even if Bowen inevitably regresses and can't keep this up, he'll have to really fall apart for us to drift back into real trouble. I don't see it happening.

Quite happy with the idea that we will go on a poor run at some point, but don't think it will be too prolonged or awful.

Ian. You know you cant say stuff like that. You're a massive jinx. Why do you do this to us.

Barb

by Barb » 02 Jan 2020 23:38

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal So Gomes best run was P8, W3, D4, L1. Thats 1.6 ppg, and he never won 3 games in a row.

By contrast, Bowen's is:

Ian. You know you cant say stuff like that. You're a massive helmet. Why do you do this to us.

I think everyone is getting a bit carried away. Fantastic run and all and I hope this continues, however after the last few years it will take me a while to truly believe that we are in the right track.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jan 2020 23:45

Bowen has found a system that works for this group of players. The fact that he doesn't tinker with the team unless forced to is a major plus.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 02 Jan 2020 23:57

The players are playing for the manager again which is what matters. Let the chickens come to nest and the eggs will come

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jan 2020 00:14

Problem was a lack of Plan B under Gomes, we often found ourselves in trouble once conceding the first goal

Bit more belief under Bowen now, ability to shake it up, change it around when it isn’t working etc etc

We may be found out but I have a little more belief we’d be able to get out of a rut it it happens again

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 07:10

I’m not sure we’re doing anything to get found out. It’s not like we have some wacky system that needs to be unpicked or we are doing something especially new

We’ve not really dominated games either, so I don’t think teams don’t know what’s coming - though they may have been a bit surprised that we are no longer weak and passive

Gomes was trying something a little different with the FBs pushed right up and things like Moore at RCB. Once teams were aware of this they learnt quickly to counter it

That’s not to say we won’t hit a bad run - of course we will. If teams let us have possession and sit deep, I’ll be interested to see how we work round it. We’ve played on the counter in the last 4.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Jan 2020 08:30

What is a plan B?
There are several......We now play a counter attacking style, pick a chance or two, take it and then sit back and let the opponents wear themselves out trying to break us down.
Theres also the style we played against Derby, bring the wingers more into it going forward and plonk a few crosses in.
Then theres to Gomes way still available with the 3 cb's.....
He has several plans now and we seem more flexible.
He has bought back players that Gormless treated rather shabbily now it seems and they have proved way more than their worth.
Personally its a non question.
I cant believe people are still showing love for Gomes and looking backwards, the fact we arnt embracing Bowen more is rather sad.
As Snowflake has rightly shown, Bowen has done way more than any of us could have dreamed of when he took over.
12 points from 12, and 2 of those teams, on their own patch who were serious playoff contenders and one who had murdered us at home and are still dreaming of an automatic place.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2020 09:37

We have one of the best defensive records in the division. We are tough to break down and we keep it simple. That's the big difference. Under Gomes, we were trying to be too clever and always good for giving away a silly goal and if it was the opener, it was usually game over.

I'm not going to slag Gomes off because he was what we needed at the time, a bit of positivity and charisma to lift the mood but Bowen has been a revelation on the pitch.

Hound If teams let us have possession and sit deep, I’ll be interested to see how we work round it. We’ve played on the counter in the last 4.

We defeat that with movement and trickery. Ejaria draws defenders to him, Adam had the ability to pick a pass and Swift has great energy and movement. That's potentially a great combination in midfield against a packed defence. Throw in a couple of mobile forwards like Baldock and Puscas and you work the defence, trying to pull players out of position and create gaps.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 10:15

From Despair To Where? We have one of the best defensive records in the division. We are tough to break down and we keep it simple. That's the big difference. Under Gomes, we were trying to be too clever and always good for giving away a silly goal and if it was the opener, it was usually game over.

I'm not going to slag Gomes off because he was what we needed at the time, a bit of positivity and charisma to lift the mood but Bowen has been a revelation on the pitch.

Hound If teams let us have possession and sit deep, I’ll be interested to see how we work round it. We’ve played on the counter in the last 4.

We defeat that with movement and trickery. Ejaria draws defenders to him, Adam had the ability to pick a pass and Swift has great energy and movement. That's potentially a great combination in midfield against a packed defence. Throw in a couple of mobile forwards like Baldock and Puscas and you work the defence, trying to pull players out of position and create gaps.

yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of ways how we do counter it - just saying I'm interested to see how it works. We did dominate to an extent vs Derby in the 2nd half, but we'll find teams coming to the Madejski and trying to play the sit deep/counter game against us. Be nice to see us overcome that challenge regularly as we do seem to have the 'perfect away performance' set up working well

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 03 Jan 2020 11:17

I think it helps a lot that we are now away from the relegation zone. It certainly takes some of the pressure off, allows the players to express themselves more and isn't all doom and gloom if we concede first.

It's got to a situation of what do we have to lose..

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 03 Jan 2020 16:29

Plan B presence / absence of, will be revealed next time Swift can’t play. We seem to have a stable team, but both defensively and offensively, Swift is the one connecting all the dots.

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1