Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by sandman » 02 Jan 2020 12:01

Hound Fulham were pretty much as I expected - lots of pretty triangles, but spent a lot of time not really going anywhere.

Considering the apparent quality in their squad - Mitrovic, Cairney, Knockeart, Cavaleiro etc, and the undoubted cost of building that team - they really should be a lot more than 2 points clear of Millwall (and 4 ahead of us if we win that game in hand). Can't see them going up

That's what happens when the owners son is in charge of the recruitment.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jan 2020 12:25

Coppells Lost Coat
leon
WestYorksRoyal My friend also said we deserved to win. They're not all numpties.

So we’ve identified two that aren’t.

Its all ok, my Fulham supporting mates have shifted the balance back to the norm. A few quotes from the exchange.

- Stunned that we lost to a team like Reading
- Fulham won the game for Reading
- Reading were boring and cheated through out.
- Parker is the worst manager they have ever had
- Hughton will be the next manager

Worst fans in the country by a mile.

To be fair, their squad should comfortably be good enough to get out of this league and we're 14th. We'd also be livid in their shoes.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Jan 2020 12:44

WestYorksRoyal
Coppells Lost Coat
leon
So we’ve identified two that aren’t.

Its all ok, my Fulham supporting mates have shifted the balance back to the norm. A few quotes from the exchange.

- Stunned that we lost to a team like Reading
- Fulham won the game for Reading
- Reading were boring and cheated through out.
- Parker is the worst manager they have ever had
- Hughton will be the next manager

Worst fans in the country by a mile.

To be fair, their squad should comfortably be good enough to get out of this league and we're 14th. We'd also be livid in their shoes.

They aren't that much better off than us points wise....plus we have a game in hand.
Add to that we had pretty decent form going into the game. But Fulhams mentality was clearly, its only Reading, we'll walk over them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2020 13:34

tbf to them, seeing how utterly woeful, passive and unintelligent we were last time we played them, I'd have expected to thrash us as well

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 13:50

Nobody cries quite like the Fulham supporters do when we beat them, they really hate us and think we are some sort of rival. In truth I think we kind "nothing" them as a fanbase.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2020 13:56

Nah, it's one of those where the supporters of each team think the the opposition is tinpot and irrelevant, and are convinced the supporters of the other team are obsessed and want a rivalry.

We had the same with Brighton. It's all a bit weird

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2020 14:17

I reckon it's an issue of a lot of their fanclub being weaned the last 20 years of Premiership football and being complexly oblivious to the pre Fayad days when they were by and large, lower league fodder.

We have a similar problem on a lower level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 15:52

Hound tbf to them, seeing how utterly woeful, passive and unintelligent we were last time we played them, I'd have expected to thrash us as well

You'd have to be pretty thick to think you'll easily beat a team who haven't lost in 5 and are on a 4 game streak of clean sheets and 3 game streak of wins.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jan 2020 16:43

sandman
Hound Fulham were pretty much as I expected - lots of pretty triangles, but spent a lot of time not really going anywhere.

Considering the apparent quality in their squad - Mitrovic, Cairney, Knockeart, Cavaleiro etc, and the undoubted cost of building that team - they really should be a lot more than 2 points clear of Millwall (and 4 ahead of us if we win that game in hand). Can't see them going up

Last season was a shambles, but Tony Khan broadly has the fans' support after this summer's dealings - and to Hound's point, Parker should really be getting more out of his attacking players (Mitrovic excepted) that they should be up there with West Brom and Leeds. Fulham's will be about the best squad I've seen not get promoted, should they fail.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2020 18:44

But, according to their fans, they gift a silly goal every game. You can have all the attacking threat in the world but if you can't defend for shit, you're going to have problems. Was it Dean Aston last night who said that we got the tactics spot on by sitting a bit deeper, drawing them in then picking up loose balls and hitting them on the break.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jan 2020 13:47

Sanguine
sandman

Last season was a shambles, but Tony Khan broadly has the fans' support after this summer's dealings - and to Hound's point, Parker should really be getting more out of his attacking players (Mitrovic excepted) that they should be up there with West Brom and Leeds. Fulham's will be about the best squad I've seen not get promoted, should they fail.

Well it’s certainly an expensive team.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 03 Jan 2020 14:03

So was the team that stank out the Premier League during their last brief stay but the fans still insist that someone at their club flushes a few more tens of millions down the pan to get them “back where they belong”, like spoilt kids.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jan 2020 14:19

Having spent a lot of time around Fulham FC, I find it both amusing and laughable the stink some of our fans kick up about the club, seemingly unable to substitute a particular dislike for Fulham and a perceived sense of entitlement from the fact that every club, even our own, has fans of that ilk.

What actually happened last season was that broadly Fulham fans were up in arms at the manner in which their excellent promotion winning side was ripped to pieces on the basis of buying supposed Premier League players in their place, and demanded of the owners that they sort their own mess out, which to be fair is exactly the reaction Reading fans have had in the past to awful squad overhauls.

Think our 'magnificent seven' on Tommy Burns' deadline day, just £100m of players instead.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 03 Jan 2020 14:47

Sanguine Having spent a lot of time around Fulham FC, I find it both amusing and laughable the stink some of our fans kick up about the club, seemingly unable to substitute a particular dislike for Fulham and a perceived sense of entitlement from the fact that every club, even our own, has fans of that ilk.

What actually happened last season was that broadly Fulham fans were up in arms at the manner in which their excellent promotion winning side was ripped to pieces on the basis of buying supposed Premier League players in their place, and demanded of the owners that they sort their own mess out, which to be fair is exactly the reaction Reading fans have had in the past to awful squad overhauls.

Think our 'magnificent seven' on Tommy Burns' deadline day, just £100m of players instead.

I understand the point you are making but respectfully disagree, other than the all clubs have some bell ends part!

I am sure Fulham fans were perfectly happy in summer 2018 with the spending of £100m on new players and the perceived ambition and statement of intent the owners were showing. It was only when it became apparent most of the signings were duds and the money wasted that they pined for the Championship play off winning team.

The Burns (not so) magnificent 7 is not really comparable as it was a deadline day overhaul weeks before the end of a season to try and keep us up, by a new manager. Many of the 7 signings were a mixture of relatively low cost reserve team players and loans.

A truer comparison is Villa’s spending this summer and they could ad things stand still “do a Fulham” by May!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jan 2020 15:01

Mr Optimist
I am sure Fulham fans were perfectly happy in summer 2018 with the spending of £100m on new players and the perceived ambition and statement of intent the owners were showing. It was only when it became apparent most of the signings were duds and the money wasted that they pined for the Championship play off winning team.

Well what is clear is I won't be changing your mind, so we'll leave it there, save for me repeating that, as someone around the club a lot, the prevailing mood that summer was 'what the fcuk are they doing?!' There were no huge expectations that that new team was going to do anything at all and the only two things that really buoyed the fans were the signings of Mawson (because centre-back was considered a weak point), and Mitrovic, who have ironically proven to be the long-term wins.

It suits your narrative for this not to be the case, but you're simply wrong. If you think I'm lying to you, then there's little I can do about that.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Jan 2020 15:11

Old Man Andrews Nobody cries quite like the Fulham supporters do when we beat them, they really hate us and think we are some sort of rival. In truth I think we kind "nothing" them as a fanbase.

Where is Fulham anyway? Isn't it a small place near Chelsea? It's that bit you drive through when you get to central London IIRC.

To be fair, I'd rather Fulham thinking we're some sort of rival than Swindon/Oxford (or Aldershit).

Shows how far we have come when the likes of Fulham and You'veLetUsDownAgain hate us 8)

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 03 Jan 2020 15:41

Fair enough Sanguine, you are/were obviously a lot closer to the ground than many in terms of what was going on at Fulham after promotion, and certainly than I am/was an outside observer taking snippets from fans forums etc, which as we know is not always a true or accurate barometer of fans opinion!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2020 15:47

All very interesting but doesn't explain why Fulham fans were already acting like a bunch of entitled pricks 3 seasons ago when we beat them in the playoffs and they were coming out with the same shit about us being cheats and lucky and how they shouldn't be losing to teams like Reading.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jan 2020 15:51

Have to say I know quite a few Fulham fans and they are to a man a very decent bunch. The sort who would happily meet you for a beer pre match and then meet you afterwards for another whatever the result of the game.
They enjoy going on about Bobby Moore and George Best and Johnny Haynes but then we go on about Robin Friday and Gylfi. It would be odd if fans didn’t take pride in the players who have worn the shirt.
I would guess Fulham have attracted other fans who are a bit more mouthy, a product of the social media age. We have them too,

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jan 2020 16:03

From Despair To Where? All very interesting but doesn't explain why Fulham fans were already acting like a bunch of entitled pricks 3 seasons ago when we beat them in the playoffs and they were coming out with the same shit about us being cheats and lucky and how they shouldn't be losing to teams like Reading.

What do you mean by 'Fulham fans' ?
Do you mean, like Mr O, a few you came across on internet forums?

As Nameless suggests, they are generally a good bunch (as are most fans, tbf) - maybe before next season's game (assuming we play each other) go in the Crabtree before the match and see how many entitled gobby pr*cks you find.

Football fans. Lol.

4464 posts