Upset the Apple cart.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Upset the Apple cart.

by Westwood52 » 03 Jan 2020 13:16

Westwood52
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Yiadom was pretty good in a shite team, but Rino was a consistently good revelation who barely put a foot wrong last year. Very worthy PotS.

Maybe poorly worded by me. I think Yiadom deserved it more. Not that Rinomhota shouldnt have been there or thereabouts.

Bit of second season syndrome for Rino this year.Pele is currently the better player.I saw Pele take five or so corners a few weeks ago and all but one were very good.He seems to be better than Swift or Adam or corners,which is a bit weird,given their dead all quality.

Fat thumb ,dead ball !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 13:23

Adam's corners have been surprisingly poor so far. Swift is and always has been a bit up and down - mixing brilliant ones with awful ones

Agreed Pele's were good

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2020 13:33

Hound Yiadom is out until the end of Jan. Couple of weeks after that to get fully fit.

No point even having the debate now. If Gunter continues to play well then there is a decision to make then. However, just as possible that we play rubbish again, change the system or pick up injuiries before that date

Agreed, shirt is his for at least another month - there will be earlier decisions to make in other positions.
When is Pușcaș due back?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 13:37

couple of weeks I think. Can't see him getting past Joao or even Baldock/Joao for a little while though

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 13:50

WestYorksRoyal What it does show is what poor management by Gomes it was to treat Gunter, McCleary and, to a lesser extent, Baldock in the way he did. All excellent professionals who have contributed in a big way since their return to the fold.

Yep very much so. All model pros who were treated very poorly.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 13:51

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth I'm not saying his assists trump that. I'm saying he is better than Gunter. Hes better defensively and offensively. The only thing Gunter is better at is crossing into the box.

Rinomhota shouldnt have won. Yiadom was our best and most consistent player last season.

Seth. Agree Yids should have won PoTS. Can’t agree re the first part of your post. Gunter is also a better passer of the ball than Yiadom.

Is he? He still seems overly cautious to me. Doesnt seem like a coincidence that we play out left now yet when Yiadom was in the team we played out right?

He often will play a cautious ball but when he does play it forward his passing is accurate.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2020 14:20

Zip
WestYorksRoyal What it does show is what poor management by Gomes it was to treat Gunter, McCleary and, to a lesser extent, Baldock in the way he did. All excellent professionals who have contributed in a big way since their return to the fold.

I found it interesting to see how they reacted to it as well, publicly at least. McCleary made it known far and wide he wasn't happy, with some snidey tweets and instagrams, culminating in that interview. Baldock was more diplomatic about it in an interview with getreading, but made it clear he found it difficult, Gunter essentially retreated from social media (and any media in fact) relating to Reading altogether (maybe brought up with the dictum of "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing").
This is pretty much the only thing he's said all year (in Instagram)

Much rubbish spoken, and written throughout 2019, glad to see the end of it. Will never forget.
Delighted to reach 300 appearances for Reading, with a win. #dontyouknow
@gmccleary12 Thank you for being the friend everybody needs in difficult times.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6zueDBAk2Q/

(Baldock's interview in getreading - https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... s-17140699)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 14:39

muirinho
Zip

I found it interesting to see how they reacted to it as well, publicly at least. McCleary made it known far and wide he wasn't happy, with some snidey tweets and instagrams, culminating in that interview. Baldock was more diplomatic about it in an interview with getreading, but made it clear he found it difficult, Gunter essentially retreated from social media (and any media in fact) relating to Reading altogether (maybe brought up with the dictum of "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing").

Much rubbish spoken, and written throughout 2019, glad to see the end of it. Will never forget.

(Baldock's interview in getreading - https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... s-17140699)

Spot on. Gunter made reference to Wales but not Reading earlier this season. His New Year tweet is the first in a long while relating to the club. Baldock did go on the summer tour so was at least back in Gomes thinking before the season started.
I didn’t like the way they were treated at the time and clearly they were angry about it.
Good that things have improved for all three.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2020 14:53

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip
Seth. Agree Yids should have won PoTS. Can’t agree re the first part of your post. Gunter is also a better passer of the ball than Yiadom.

Is he? He still seems overly cautious to me. Doesnt seem like a coincidence that we play out left now yet when Yiadom was in the team we played out right?

He often will play a cautious ball but when he does play it forward his passing is accurate.

Agree Gunter is more cautious (my main complaint of him - though I think Yiadom goes a little too far the other way).

Their stats don't really paint the picture of Gunts being the better passer though.

Gunter / Yiadom
Passes pg - 28 / 34
Pass accuracy - 75 / 74
Key passes - 0.7 / 1.4
Crosses - 0.9 / 0.4
Long balls - 1.7 / 0.9

Pretty much tells us what we know, Yiadom more involved and creative, but Gunter more likely to cross.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 15:09

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NewCorkSeth Is he? He still seems overly cautious to me. Doesnt seem like a coincidence that we play out left now yet when Yiadom was in the team we played out right?

Agree Gunter is more cautious (my main complaint of him - though I think Yiadom goes a little too far the other way).

Their stats don't really paint the picture of Gunts being the better passer though.

Gunter / Yiadom
Passes pg - 28 / 34
Pass accuracy - 75 / 74
Key passes - 0.7 / 1.4
Crosses - 0.9 / 0.4
Long balls - 1.7 / 0.9

Pretty much tells us what we know, Yiadom more involved and creative, but Gunter more likely to cross.

You mean your main complaint currently? Everyone's main complaint about Gunter should be his history of giving wingers far too much space in the final 3rd. Which I cant say has been obvious recently but it certainly was a trend of his in previous seasons.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 15:13

Zip
muirinho
Zip

Spot on. Gunter made reference to Wales but not Reading earlier this season. His New Year tweet is the first in a long while relating to the club. Baldock did go on the summer tour so was at least back in Gomes thinking before the season started.
I didn’t like the way they were treated at the time and clearly they were angry about it.

Hadn't seen that from Gunter, he was clearly throughly pissed off. Both him and McCleary had a significant role to play in us staying up last year, so I'm not too surprised they were so annoyed

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Jan 2020 15:21

Zip
muirinho
Zip

Wales, Golf, Reading
:D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2020 15:45

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Gunter / Yiadom
Passes pg - 28 / 34
Pass accuracy - 75 / 74
Key passes - 0.7 / 1.4
Crosses - 0.9 / 0.4
Long balls - 1.7 / 0.9

You mean your main complaint currently? Everyone's main complaint about Gunter should be his history of giving wingers far too much space in the final 3rd. Which I cant say has been obvious recently but it certainly was a trend of his in previous seasons.

No it's always been my primary complaint. And that standing off wingers is a defensive symptom of the same problem IMO.

Stand off and don't get beaten, rely on others to deal with the cross.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jan 2020 15:49

Not much Gunter could instagram about his Reading experience even if he wanted.

Great day at the Hogz with my bestie @gmccleary12 and the Under 12's. Nearly done a goal. Me and @mccleary12 sat on benches together eating our Happy Meals. Shat in a bucket outside the building as wasn't allowed to poo inside with the big boys. @mccleary12 stole the last of the bog paper so I had to use my socks. Great Bantz @mccleary12
https://www.instagram.com/guntsandmccleary/

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 16:04

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Agree Gunter is more cautious (my main complaint of him - though I think Yiadom goes a little too far the other way).

Gunter / Yiadom
Passes pg - 28 / 34
Pass accuracy - 75 / 74
Key passes - 0.7 / 1.4
Crosses - 0.9 / 0.4
Long balls - 1.7 / 0.9

No it's always been my primary complaint. And that standing off wingers is a defensive symptom of the same problem IMO.

It’s always been my primary issue with Gunter too although not with Wales where he has tended to be tighter to his opponent.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 16:06

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NewCorkSeth Is he? He still seems overly cautious to me. Doesnt seem like a coincidence that we play out left now yet when Yiadom was in the team we played out right?

Gunter / Yiadom
Passes pg - 28 / 34
Pass accuracy - 75 / 74
Key passes - 0.7 / 1.4
Crosses - 0.9 / 0.4
Long balls - 1.7 / 0.9

He has the higher pass accuracy 8) just........

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2020 16:44

Zip
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth You mean your main complaint currently? Everyone's main complaint about Gunter should be his history of giving wingers far too much space in the final 3rd. Which I cant say has been obvious recently but it certainly was a trend of his in previous seasons.

It’s always been my primary issue with Gunter too although not with Wales where he has tended to be tighter to his opponent.

Not interested in the slightest how Gunter plays for Wales.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2020 16:49

Ascotexgunner
Zip
muirinho

Wales, Golf, Reading
:D

Did actually cross my mind, that! Couldn't blame him, tbf

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 18:32

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal No it's always been my primary complaint. And that standing off wingers is a defensive symptom of the same problem IMO.

Not interested in the slightest how Gunter plays for Wales.

I’m making a general point and don’t care in the slightest whether it’s of interest to you or not.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2020 20:06

Any stats ZIP on how many times he turns his back, allows the player room to run inside, ducks out of a header or indeed how many finger points and back passes he does in a game? :wink:

All in all not really what you want from a full-back and as posted earlier the good news is that it looks as though Bowen has him sussed.

Hurry up and get fit Andy-we said at the time he should have come off earlier when he got injured and now we are looking at a similar situation to when Sonko was allowed to stay on when clearly injured,