VAR

1731 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by BR0B0T » 01 Jan 2020 14:14

there is no workable way of VAR doing offside that doesn't come down to measuring a finite point

other than making it subjective

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 01 Jan 2020 15:46

BR0B0T there is no workable way of VAR doing offside that doesn't come down to measuring a finite point

One of my suggestions which got laughed at for was to have sensors at the side of the pitch that emit rays, and attach pads to the players which are different for each team so then it will by the MM say which player is where. Foolproof.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 Jan 2020 21:26

Simmops
BR0B0T there is no workable way of VAR doing offside that doesn't come down to measuring a finite point

One of my suggestions which got laughed at for was to have sensors at the side of the pitch that emit rays, and attach pads to the players which are different for each team so then it will by the MM say which player is where. Foolproof.

Not bad for an accountant.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 01 Jan 2020 21:57

Platypuss
Simmops

Having an accountancy qualification doesn't mean you have to be an accountant.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jan 2020 22:13

Simmops
Platypuss
Simmops

I'm also part qualified* ACCA...did a finance degree made sense to do a few of the exams

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 01 Jan 2020 23:40

BR0B0T
Simmops
Platypuss

I'm also part qualified* ACCA...did a finance degree made sense to do a few of the exams

I did mine fully intending to go right to the top as a CFO of an international conglomerate, but I took a different path. Although 1st of all I did make use of the accountancy.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 01 Jan 2020 23:44

I don't understand the VAR decision in the Watford-Wolves match...…..the ref saw the whole thing and decided a yellow and the VAR overturned that to a red.

But the VAR didn't show anything the ref hadn't seen, that was literally re-refereeing a decision rather than spotting something the ref missed.

Didn't realise that was a thing

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jan 2020 13:41

John Madejski's Wallet I don't understand the VAR decision in the Watford-Wolves match...…..the ref saw the whole thing and decided a yellow and the VAR overturned that to a red.

But the VAR didn't show anything the ref hadn't seen, that was literally re-refereeing a decision rather than spotting something the ref missed.

Didn't realise that was a thing

And indeed overturned Cresswell's red to a yellow at the London Stadium.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Jan 2020 14:45

I guess you could argue the ref might not have been able to see the tackle properly at full speed, but for the VAR to offer a different opinion on denying a clear goal scoring chance is a bit sh*t if you ask me. It absolutely undermines the refs, something the FA have never wanted to do. And surly not what VAR was brought in for

What's so special about the VAR ref that he gets to overrule the infield ref with a matter of opinion?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2020 00:41

Think it’s ridiculous and completely unfair that only some FA Cup games get VAR and others don’t. Just let it go Let’s just hope we don’t get an away Prem draw!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jan 2020 01:06

URZZZZ Think it’s ridiculous and completely unfair that only some FA Cup games get VAR and others don’t. Just let it go Let’s just hope we don’t get an away Prem draw!

Why is it unfair?

Who gains / loses any advantage as a result of only some games having VAR coverage?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2020 08:15

Royal Rother
URZZZZ Think it’s ridiculous and completely unfair that only some FA Cup games get VAR and others don’t. Just let it go Let’s just hope we don’t get an away Prem draw!

Why is it unfair?

Who gains / loses any advantage as a result of only some games having VAR coverage?

VAR kept Tranmere in the cup at Watford while not having it at Cardiff probably kept Cardiff in the competition.

I think it’s wrong that games in the FA Cup from the 3rd round onwards are being refereed differently depending on where they’re played.

More importantly what happens next season? Will the clubs relegated from the PL be allowed to use VAR in the FL while existing Championship clubs clubs can’t?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Jan 2020 11:12

Isnt a big part of cup competitions the unlevel playing field?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2020 12:38

Winston Biscuit

Not from a refereeing perspective.

Completely agree with URZzz different rules for different games in the same competition is crazy. And it is different rules because of the way offsides are officiated with VAR at the very least.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Jan 2020 13:15

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit

Completely agree with URZzz different rules for different games in the same competition is crazy. And it is different rules because of the way offsides are officiated with VAR at the very least.

Are the same rules in place all the way back to the first round?

Not trying to be argumentative here, genuinely interested. And I hate VAR

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2020 13:41

Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit

Are the same rules in place all the way back to the first round?

Not trying to be argumentative here, genuinely interested. And I hate VAR

In terms of VAR, no because it's only at PL grounds isn't it... otherwise yeah I can't think of anything different otherwise.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jan 2020 13:54

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit

But there is no advantage to anyone as a result of VAR so it would be daft not to use it to give more accuracy in the officiating.

If anything there might be a slight gain (not advantage) to the lower ranked teams against PL teams as there is a valid perception that the latter TEND to be given the rub of the green in marginals.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2020 15:44

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit

But there is no advantage to anyone as a result of VAR so it would be daft not to use it to give more accuracy in the officiating.

If anything there might be a slight gain (not advantage) to the lower ranked teams against PL teams as there is a valid perception that the latter TEND to be given the rub of the green in marginals.

There may not be an advantage to anyone with VAR but then surely there’s a disadvantage for teams without VAR who are on the end of incorrect decisions

For example Preston vs Norwich. Two goals of Norwich’s were offside and if played at Carrow Road wouldn’t have been given. Preston therefore lose out because of it

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jan 2020 16:07

Which is why if VAR is available it should be used.

Thanks for underlining my point.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jan 2020 22:48

Good to see the pitch side monitor being used today but.... if the abuse thrown at ref Oliver whist he was walking to and at the monitor is anything to go by no wonder they don’t want to use it.

Palace fans like a pack of animals trying to get at him. Absolute joke.

1731 posts