Blackett to Turkey.

162 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Blackett to Turkey.

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jan 2020 17:37

Very much improved this season, earned an extension IMO.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 17:43

I'm definitely in support of a new deal, but what does it mean for Obita and Richards? We don't need 3 left backs, and Richards is in his third full season now. He should be looking to become a regular starter; not one for the future.

If we're settled on a back 4 and Blackett extends, it may be that it's Richards' best interests to move on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 17:46

Yes, as mentioned he strikes me as a Bowen player. Big, strong a bit ‘nasty’ and can pick a pass. Has combined well with Ovie as well

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 17:47

WestYorksRoyal I'm definitely in support of a new deal, but what does it mean for Obita and Richards? We don't need 3 left backs, and Richards is in his third full season now. He should be looking to become a regular starter; not one for the future.

If we're settled on a back 4 and Blackett extends, it may be that it's Richards' best interests to move on.

I like Obita, but he’s on a big wage I suspect, ooc at the end of the year. Also if he genuinely can’t manage two games a week then he’ll struggle to stay on here

The other option is to move him or Richards into LM

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2020 17:53

Just on Blackett he is a big lad. He must be about 6 foot 4 because he towered above Osho. He is always an option at centre back.
I still think Obita is worth keeping hold of but maybe only a one year deal when his existing contract expires.

Richards is a problem. I like him but not defensively. As is being suggested perhaps he needs to be converted into a winger where we are not exactly overflowing with options.

Barb

by Barb » 07 Jan 2020 18:24

WestYorksRoyal I'm definitely in support of a new deal, but what does it mean for Obita and Richards? We don't need 3 left backs, and Richards is in his third full season now. He should be looking to become a regular starter; not one for the future.

Obita will drift away unfortunately. His legs have gone and he'll hopefully get a club in league 1.

Barb

by Barb » 07 Jan 2020 18:25

Hound Yes, as mentioned he strikes me as a Bowen player. Big, strong a bit ‘nasty’ and can pick a pass. Has combined well with Ovie as well

Blackett nasty? :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 19:16

Barb
Hound Yes, as mentioned he strikes me as a Bowen player. Big, strong a bit ‘nasty’ and can pick a pass. Has combined well with Ovie as well

He got sent off 5 minutes into Gomes’ first game...

Barb

by Barb » 07 Jan 2020 19:17

Hendo
Barb

That's stupid, not nasty. Are you honestly basing your opinion on him on that?

He's probably the most lethargic, languid defender we've had in years. Played well the last few games though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 19:20

Barb
Hendo
Barb

He's probably the most lethargic, languid defender we've had in years. Played well the last few games though.

He’s been sent off 5 times in 188 career games, I’d say there was a bit of nastiness in him yes. Lethargic and languid doesn’t mean nice either.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2020 19:26

Hendo
Barb
Hendo

He’s been sent off 5 times in 188 career games, I’d say there was a bit of nastiness in him yes. Lethargic and languid doesn’t mean nice either.

Yes he has had the occasional edge to his game. Wasn’t he sent off against Millwall last Christmas for trampling over someone?

Barb

by Barb » 07 Jan 2020 19:27

Zip
Hendo
Barb

Yes he has had the occasional edge to his game. Wasn’t he sent off against Millwall last Christmas for trampling over someone?

Just what we need. Stupidity

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Jan 2020 19:42

If Blackett wants to go, I honestly wouldn't blame him...he probably remembers the stick he's received from the fans; one game he was subbed as a sub when he made one bad mistake - I felt genuinely embarrassed at the time.

I go back 50 years and apart from a chap called Malcolm Swain (only older fans will remember as was early 1970's) I cannot remember a player getting worse in one particular incident from the home fans.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Jan 2020 20:05

Mid Sussex Royal If Blackett wants to go, I honestly wouldn't blame him...he probably remembers the stick he's received from the fans; one game he was subbed as a sub when he made one bad mistake - I felt genuinely embarrassed at the time.

I go back 50 years and apart from a chap called Malcolm Swain (only older fans will remember as was early 1970's) I cannot remember a player getting worse in one particular incident from the home fans.

To be fair, unlike Blackett, Malcolm Swain was a complete and utter donkey (apologies if he's lurking on here!).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 20:44

RoyalBlue
Mid Sussex Royal If Blackett wants to go, I honestly wouldn't blame him...he probably remembers the stick he's received from the fans; one game he was subbed as a sub when he made one bad mistake - I felt genuinely embarrassed at the time.

To be fair, unlike Blackett, Malcolm Swain was a complete and utter donkey (apologies if he's lurking on here!).

I didn’t go to that game so not too sure how it came about but it was a proper depressing time

I never thought it was that much about Blackett, more he just became an easy scapegoat at that time - i think he’s generally be pretty popular

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jan 2020 21:38

This site says Fenerbahce are close to signing Blackett

http://sportwitness.co.uk/director-talk ... aid-close/

Meanwhile Reading are set to offer Blackett a new 2.5 year deal

Big decision for Tyler this month then.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jan 2020 22:05

Seems rejuvenated under Bowen. Would be a loss at this point of the season.

Basildon

by Basildon » 08 Jan 2020 09:30

Certainly wouldn't want to see him go, been really handy in the last few weeks. Currently first choice left back and if he continues the way he's played recently he wouldn't be losing that spot anytime soon.

Just seen that Fenerbahce are also looking at Masuaku from West Ham so hopefully they pursue him instead.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 10:13

From Blackett's perspective, Fenerbahce would surely be an exciting prospect when compared with a contract extension? European football, massive crowds, better weather. A step up in many ways. I guess moving a long way from home and living and playing in a foreign culture is a big challenge though.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jan 2020 10:19

RoyalBlue

And he didn't cost £1 million.
Paul Bodin was probably the worst full-back that I can remember (sorry Zip, Welsh again :wink: )

162 posts