Rumour - Glenn Murray

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Glenn Murray

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2020 16:50

John Smith
Snowflake Royal
John Smith Who's to say one of those wouldn't make way?

It's the fact at least three, if not all four would have to make way that's the point John.

Not much point bringing in Murray to be 4th choice if we're playing 1 upfront is there.

Not really. If he came he'd be used in favour of Joao, Meite and Baldock. I think we should get rid of Meite and use Loader as an impact man while Puscas gets back to full fitness.

I think that's an awful idea.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Jan 2020 16:53

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Snowflake Royal It's the fact at least three, if not all four would have to make way that's the point John.

Not much point bringing in Murray to be 4th choice if we're playing 1 upfront is there.

Not really. If he came he'd be used in favour of Joao, Meite and Baldock. I think we should get rid of Meite and use Loader as an impact man while Puscas gets back to full fitness.

Well you would

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2020 17:00

John Smith
Snowflake Royal
John Smith Not really. If he came he'd be used in favour of Joao, Meite and Baldock. I think we should get rid of Meite and use Loader as an impact man while Puscas gets back to full fitness.

Well you would

Call me daft, but the idea we should sell a consistent scorer who is useful in multiple positions and 23 to bring in a 36 year old who could break down at any moment and will probably want more money to play ahead of our currently reasonably successful attack that needs more time to gel and improve for the many years of future plenty of them could have with us, is absolutely baffling bonkers.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2020 17:07

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Snowflake Royal It's the fact at least three, if not all four would have to make way that's the point John.

+1

No idea why he’s suggesting selling our first choice RM for a striker :wink:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jan 2020 17:13

I’d be surprised if this happened. Murray clearly didn’t enjoy his previous loan here, couldn’t wait to get out and didn’t exactly impress with his general attitude. Obviously everything at the club is different but I can imagine these negative perceptions might mean he just doesn’t even consider a return.
As others have said I’m also not convinced he’d be what we might need.

Barb

by Barb » 10 Jan 2020 17:34

I'd give anything to not see Meite at the club anymore, but in place of two wingers, not a striker as we don't need one.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 10 Jan 2020 17:43

Snowflake Royal
John Smith

+1

We simply do not need a striker. I’ve said it before, Meite is the only player that put in 100% during our poor run under Gomes. Bloke would run through walls for this club.

IF we NEEDED to get rid of a striker I’d nominate Baldock tbh. Some signings just don’t work out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2020 17:45

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal
John Smith Not really. If he came he'd be used in favour of Joao, Meite and Baldock. I think we should get rid of Meite and use Loader as an impact man while Puscas gets back to full fitness.

+1

We simply do not need a striker. I’ve said it before, Meite is the only player that put in 100% during our poor run under Gomes. Bloke would run through walls for this club.

IF we NEEDED to get rid of a striker I’d nominate Baldock tbh. Some signings just don’t work out.

Consensus at the moment seems to be that Baldock is one of our key players. Out of all of them my order of who we can most easily afford to lose is:

Loader
Puscas
Joao
Meite
Baldock

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 10 Jan 2020 18:02

I just haven’t seen enough from Sam Baldock tbh. Looked lost in pre season and had a couple of good games in November.

Feel similar about Loader. Just not sure where they fit in to this side and whether they can cut the mustard playing for a team which ‘might’ challenge for the playoffs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jan 2020 18:41

Snowflake Royal
royalp-we
Snowflake Royal I think that's an awful idea.

+1

Consensus at the moment seems to be that Baldock is one of our key players. Out of all of them my order of who we can most easily afford to lose is:

Loader
Puscas
Joao
Meite
Baldock

Funny that. Baldock would be bottom of my list!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2020 19:35

I’d say any 2 up front has to include Baldock.

If it’s one up front then I’d rather Joao or Puscas

Main issue with Baldock is, and has always been here, and that’s his dreadful injury record

Every time he gets a bit of form he seems to then pick up a 3/4 week injury

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2020 20:59

No thanks

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2020 22:14

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
royalp-we
+1

Loader
Puscas
Joao
Meite
Baldock

Funny as in we agree he'd be the last one we'd move on?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jan 2020 12:20

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Consensus at the moment seems to be that Baldock is one of our key players. Out of all of them my order of who we can most easily afford to lose is:

Loader
Puscas
Joao
Meite
Baldock

Funny as in we agree he'd be the last one we'd move on?

Sadly no. I think he earns the most, has the least re-sale value and is far better in a striking partnership. If we continue with the current formation he is less valuable than Joao, who has proven to be very good up front by himself, Meite, who is our starting AMR and Puscas, our record signing, who has time on his side. Loader I probably over value because I like the idea of having academy players in the team...

Imo it's important to remember Baldocks best run of form came as as a second striker and he lacks certain attributes required to play up front by himself which, coincidentally, the other 3 options have. While he is perfect adept at playing on the left I havent seem any evidence that Bowen plans to play him there. If that changes I'll reevaluate.

Also the rumours of potential fees owed to Brighton based on appearances and promotion is another weight on the negative side of the scale.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2020 13:32

I think his influence is really strong off the pitch (hard to justify I know, but his attitude seems exemplary and we know Meite and Joao can be somewhat fragile and Puscas hasn't settled yet) and he offers so much off the bench, in a pair or from wide that he's essential. None of our other strikers really work very well with each other.

I wouldn't be extending or anything, but short term he's just very very useful.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jan 2020 13:57

Snowflake Royal I think his influence is really strong off the pitch (hard to justify I know, but his attitude seems exemplary and we know Meite and Joao can be somewhat fragile and Puscas hasn't settled yet) and he offers so much off the bench, in a pair or from wide that he's essential. None of our other strikers really work very well with each other.

I wouldn't be extending or anything, but short term he's just very very useful.

That's a very fair point. He does help others around him play better and that is useful off the bench. Rumour has it he will be starting today up front so let's see what's what!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Jan 2020 14:40

Baldock starts. Let’s see how he gets on

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 11 Jan 2020 17:48

Joao out for 8 weeks, this makes more sense now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2020 17:56

WoodleyRoyal Joao out for 8 weeks, this makes more sense now.

+1. Bugger

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2020 10:19

WoodleyRoyal https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/murray-reading-return-latest-odds-17543795

Reading have been installed as the new favourites so sign Brighton and Hove Albion striker Glenn Murray in January.

Murray has made 13 appearances for Brighton in the Premier League this term but is yet to find the net, having struck 13 times in the top-flight last season.

The 36-year-old striker is set to leave the Seagulls this window after falling out of favour under new manager Graham Potter.

The ex-Swansea City head coach has instead opted for Neal Maupay in attack, after his summer move from Brentford.

That leaves Murray on the lookout for a new temporary home, with a host of Championship clubs queuing up to take him on loan for the remainder of the season.

Forest are also after him.

For the record Glen was a second half sub for Brighton at Goodison yesterday and almost managed an equaliser.