BFTG Millwall Away

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Millwall Away

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2020 22:59

Jagermesiter1871 How much is that big lad they had upfront? He looked like he knew where the goal was.

Matt Smith

Came from QPR, been around for a while but never really been given a consistent chance

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2020 23:11

That Bodvarsson chap got a goal too I hear.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2020 23:14

Snowflake Royal That Bodvarsson chap got a goal too I hear.

I really liked Bod, was really disappointed to see him go

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Jan 2020 23:21

Reality check. The team is a work in progress.

The defeat was self inflicted. Too many wayward passes/poor decisions.

Without someone to hold the ball upfront. Going to struggle to put any opposition under pressure.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 19 Jan 2020 00:51

Very below par performances there, with credit to Millwall for being well organised both on and off the ball. I didn’t think either team were particularly special but Millwall were worth their 2-0 win. Where we overplayed it, they played it simple...where we were lethargic, they were hurrying our players in possession.

Meite for me was particularly poor, but I guess it’s academic to point him out when no one else was particularly good....but I have....

Raphael and the back four were ‘ok’, everything in front of them looked as if they had been on the piss the night before...*shrugs*.

Thought their home support were pretty non-existent tbh, all in on a bang average day.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Jan 2020 04:28

St Pauli
windermereROYAL
Jagermesiter1871 What's all this racist chanting about?

Homophobic, there is a difference.

From which end?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 19 Jan 2020 04:56

BR0B0T
St Pauli
windermereROYAL
Homophobic, there is a difference.

From which end?

:lol:

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 Jan 2020 09:27

Imagine going to Millwall with the most lightweight midfield in the league. I get the "don't change a winning team" mantra but come on.. have some common sense

Millwall were closing us down so quickly, and we weren't going to win any long balls against their massive players. So it was obvious we would need to pass the ball quickly around their press. But what did we do? Receive the ball, stand still and wait for Millwall to close us down, and then try to dribble it around 3 players from a standing start. It was men against boys at points.

Rafael - 6

Blackett - 2 normal service has resumed, better rip up that contract offer
Moore - 6 coped with Smith well
Morrison - 6 ditto
Gunter - 5 ineffectual

Pele - 4 lots of mistakes
Swift - 5 too slow
Adam - 6 only player up for it

Ejaria - 5 not a game for fancy tricks
Meite - 4 another poor performance, time to look at other options
Baldock - 5 wrong choice against their massive defenders

Puscas - 4 mistake led to their second goal
Obita - 5
McCleary - 5

I'd line up like this for the next game -

----------------- Rafael
Yiadom Moore Morrison Obita
----------------- Pele
------ Adam --------- Ejaria
---------------- Swift
---------Puscas Baldock

Forget wide players, we don't have the quality

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jan 2020 09:41

blueroyals Imagine going to Millwall with the most lightweight midfield in the league. I get the "don't change a winning team" mantra but come on.. have some common sense

Millwall were closing us down so quickly, and we weren't going to win any long balls against their massive players. So it was obvious we would need to pass the ball quickly around their press. But what did we do? Receive the ball, stand still and wait for Millwall to close us down, and then try to dribble it around 3 players from a standing start. It was men against boys at points.

Rafael - 6

Morrison - 6 ditto
Gunter - 5 ineffectual

Swift - 5 too slow

Obita - 5
McCleary - 5

----------------- Rafael
----------------- Pele
---------------- Swift
---------Puscas Baldock

What’s that - one defeat in ten ?
Unless you’re supporting Liverpool, your team is always going to have a dodgy one now and again.
Proof of the team will be how they react

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jan 2020 09:48

blueroyals Imagine going to Millwall with the most lightweight midfield in the league. I get the "don't change a winning team" mantra but come on.. have some common sense

Rafael - 6

Morrison - 6 ditto
Gunter - 5 ineffectual

Swift - 5 too slow

Obita - 5
McCleary - 5

----------------- Rafael
----------------- Pele
---------------- Swift
---------Puscas Baldock

We don’t have the quality for wide players when we just beat the best two home teams in the league with wide players, where three of our four goals came from out wide?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Jan 2020 10:10

URZZZZ

Rafael - 6

Morrison - 6 ditto
Gunter - 5 ineffectual

Swift - 5 too slow

Obita - 5
McCleary - 5

----------------- Rafael
----------------- Pele
---------------- Swift
---------Puscas Baldock

We don’t have the quality for wide players when we just beat the best two home teams in the league with wide players, where three of our four goals came from out wide?

Forget the ratings, the substantive point is we got the tactics wrong.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 19 Jan 2020 10:36

Bowen's post match analysis has been mentioned on here before but I was really impressed by how specific the manager was post-Millwall about what went wrong and his understanding of how and why certain things failed. It kind of gives you a bit of faith having someone both articulate and passionate in charge.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2020 10:57

bcubed
URZZZZ

Rafael - 6

Morrison - 6 ditto
Gunter - 5 ineffectual

Swift - 5 too slow

Obita - 5
McCleary - 5

----------------- Rafael
----------------- Pele
---------------- Swift
---------Puscas Baldock

What tactics would have won us the game out if interest - and why should we have changed from what has given us a 9 match unbeaten run?

I’ve sympathy with the idea of Going back to 2 up top as I don’t think Baldock or Puscas can play 1 up, but other than that I’m not sure he should have done a lot different

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 19 Jan 2020 11:05

Just seen the highlights.

I know Keith Stroud has a rep,but how on earth did he miss that handball for the first goal.

Did seem a very fair result though.

Disappointed in Swift for his chance.

Puskas an apology of a footballer.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jan 2020 11:05

Hound
bcubed
URZZZZ

What tactics would have won us the game out if interest - and why should we have changed from what has given us a 9 match unbeaten run?

I’ve sympathy with the idea of Going back to 2 up top as I don’t think Baldock or Puscas can play 1 up, but other than that I’m not sure he should have done a lot different

Is the obvious answer

In hindsight, it probably would have made sense, given Millwall’s style of play to go with a back 5 with Miazga in there and without Joao up top to compete with a tall, physical Millwall defence

But if he had changed the formation/tactics and we had still lost, then people would have said that was the wrong thing to do anyway

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jan 2020 11:07

Westwood52 Just seen the highlights.

I know Keith Stroud has a rep,but how on earth did he miss that handball for the first goal.

Did seem a very fair result though.

Disappointed in Swift for his chance.

Puskas an apology of a footballer.

Not gonna complain about the handball when Rafael should have given a penalty away on Smith in the first half. They’re never given but it was a foul IMO

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2020 11:45

URZZZZ
Hound
bcubed

Is the obvious answer

In hindsight, it probably would have made sense, given Millwall’s style of play to go with a back 5 with Miazga in there and without Joao up top to compete with a tall, physical Millwall defence

But if he had changed the formation/tactics and we had still lost, then people would have said that was the wrong thing to do anyway

Well yeah. If we hadn’t just been unbeaten in 9, Miazga playing would have been a no brainer - it’s not easy being the manager in the situation

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Jan 2020 12:08

Blackett showing his liability again. Desperate for a decent left back for years. Puscas losing ball lead to their goal. Meite useless. Ejaria wasted on wing. Millwall fans absolute detestable c*nts as usual, spooked the ref who was utter shite. Defence battled well.

But excuses aside, we were totally shit and deserved to lose by more than 2.

Finally a defeat. No big deal. We had it coming. Onwards and upwards.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jan 2020 12:11

2 world wars, 1 world cup Blackett showing his liability again. Desperate for a decent left back for years. Puscas losing ball lead to their goal. Meite useless. Ejaria wasted on wing. Millwall fans absolute detestable c*nts as usual, spooked the ref who was utter shite. Defence battled well.

But excuses aside, we were totally shit and deserved to lose by more than 2.

Finally a defeat. No big deal. We had it coming. Onwards and upwards.

To be fair, whilst Blackett was poor, his cross in for Swift was a dream ball in, he does have a really good cross on him

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Jan 2020 12:13

Hound
bcubed
URZZZZ

5 at the back for a start.

But it's in midfield where we just didn't compete. Given recent form and plaudits he was unlikely to change things but probably needed Rinomhota in there somewhere. And maybe Obita. But he would have been slated if he'd made wholesale changes and lost.

Didn't think Adam was as bad as some said. On the ball he was ok but looked off the pace otherwise.

Maybe we just don't have the personnel for a game like this especially where the pitch doesn't help slick passing.