Rival Watch

17149 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2020 16:40

Royalwaster
From Despair To Where? Not so rich that they haven't gone into administration twice.

And their history consists of fcuk all before Revie turned up (OK, maybe 1 Division 2 title) and 1 title since.

Only Forest are more defined by 1 man.

But to be fair apart from the 106 points we have no history whatsoever.

Not strictly true.

We were runners up in 95, won again in 2012, won the Simod in the 80s, got an FA Cup semi in the 20s and recently. Death's record 70s/80s, the 13 wins in the 80s(?)

Obviously Leeds success is on a different level to ours, but the success we've had is spread out over about 4 / 5 different decades.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 20 Jan 2020 18:07

Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster
From Despair To Where? Not so rich that they haven't gone into administration twice.

And their history consists of fcuk all before Revie turned up (OK, maybe 1 Division 2 title) and 1 title since.

Only Forest are more defined by 1 man.

But to be fair apart from the 106 points we have no history whatsoever.

Not strictly true.

We were runners up in 95, won again in 2012, won the Simod in the 80s, got an FA Cup semi in the 20s and recently. Death's record 70s/80s, the 13 wins in the 80s(?)

Obviously Leeds success is on a different level to ours, but the success we've had is spread out over about 4 / 5 different decades.

Still don’t get the Reading penis-envy thing with Leeds. Yeah, they’re a massive club & most of their fans would fit in & replenish the stock with the baboons at a Zoo. So what? They couldn’t find us on the map anymore than the average citizen of Huntsville, and to them we re utterly irrelevant. Rival watch? Hardly.

Now the entitled metros from Fulham are much closer to home, in every sense.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2020 21:53

Stoke beating WBA who look absolutely shit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jan 2020 22:13

Yeah WBA, defo the best team in the league 100%. Should have listened to all of you experts..... :roll:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2020 22:18

Leeds lose
West Brom lose
Forest lose?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2020 22:49

For the best two teams in the league, they really do have some poor striker choices

Bamford is inconsistent
Austin only scored off the bench
Zohore wouldn’t look out of place in the Conference
Kanu is OK and does a decent enough job but won’t get you the goals for promotion

I’m surprised neither have splashed big yet in that department this window so far considering the deficiencies in front of goal

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2020 22:50

tidus_mi2 Leeds lose
West Brom lose
Forest lose?

A lot of pressure on Forest to win on Wednesday given the situation now

Really fancy us to get something there now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2020 23:27

Old Man Andrews Yeah WBA, defo the best team in the league 100%. Should have listened to all of you experts..... :roll:

Still top for now champ.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2020 07:46

WBA 1 win from 8, Leeds 1 from 7. Wonder what odds you would get on neither being top 2 come May.

Maybe they had subconciously taken their foot off the pedal due to the gap they had but they are 23rd and 20th respectively in the current form table (6 games)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 07:48

WBA are the greatest team in Championship history according to some of you, why would they take their foot off the gas?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jan 2020 07:59

Old Man Andrews WBA are the greatest team in Championship history according to some of you, why would they take their foot off the gas?

Nice rewrite of history. You were saying Leeds were a “great team”.

We’re the greatest team in Championship history. Just look at the record books.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 08:03

leon
Old Man Andrews WBA are the greatest team in Championship history according to some of you, why would they take their foot off the gas?

Nice rewrite of history. You were saying Leeds were a “great team”.

We’re the greatest team in Championship history. Just look at the record books.

Leeds are a great team. They are also about to sign Andre Gray, thats the league won.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2020 08:04

Not to me they are not - neither of the top are the greatest they've ever seen and currently lots of questions about if they are either the 2 best teams in the league which a month or so ago seemed unquestionable.

I referred to taking the foot off the gas as it is often human nature to do so when you have opened up a large gap to your opponents and it feels like the finishing line is nearly there (it is one of the reasons why Liverpool's ruthlessness this year is, to date, very impressive). On Xmas Day, WBA had a gap of 11 points to 3rd and Leeds 8 - so possible that mentally they eased up slightly.

Those gaps have now been halved and if Forest beat us tomorrow then the gap is suddenly just 1 game (3pts and 2pts) - this may help focus minds and they may kick on again or given momentum is hard to change in this league they may continue to slip back into the play-off pack and be replaced by 2 of Forest, Fulham and Brentford who are building momentum right now.

Leeds next 4 games are massive:

Millwall (H)
Wigan (H)
Forest (A)
Brentford (A)

So 3 games against the immediate chasing pack and an expected home win v Wigan. If they can pick up 7-9 points they will look good again - 4 or less (both really possible) and they are probably out of the top 2.

WBAs next 4:

Cardiff (A)
Luton (H)
Millwall (A)
Reading (A)

So one "home banker" and 3 tricky away trips for a team out of form. Could really see them slipping out of the top 2 as well.
Last edited by Stranded on 21 Jan 2020 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jan 2020 08:04

Jesus h Christ

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 08:22

Anyone else hoping both Leeds and West Brom fail to get automatic promotion now? Would be hilarious.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 08:24

NewCorkSeth Anyone else hoping both Leeds and West Brom fail to get automatic promotion now? Would be hilarious.

It would be unjust if that happened to Leeds, this is their year. I think that club with a big summer transfer window could easily replicate Sheffield United's achievements.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 08:29

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Anyone else hoping both Leeds and West Brom fail to get automatic promotion now? Would be hilarious.

It would be unjust if that happened to Leeds, this is their year. I think that club with a big summer transfer window could easily replicate Sheffield United's achievements.

I'm not saying this to join in the Leeds bashing but I think that's slightly disrespectful to Sheffield United.

While Bielsa is obviously a top manager and coach, he is doing it with players that most in the league would quite like. Wilder did it, and is still doing it, with players most in the league wouldnt have wanted to sign.

If Leeds go up and invest heavily I think they could survive. But if Brentford go up I reckon they would be more likely to do well. Better run club with a significantly better record of signing players.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 08:34

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

I'm not saying this to join in the Leeds bashing but I think that's slightly disrespectful to Sheffield United.

While Bielsa is obviously a top manager and coach, he is doing it with players that most in the league would quite like. Wilder did it, and is still doing it, with players most in the league wouldnt have wanted to sign.

If Leeds go up and invest heavily I think they could survive. But if Brentford go up I reckon they would be more likely to do well. Better run club with a significantly better record of signing players.

I meant achievements in terms of holding their own in the Premier League, I think that is a good benchmark for any promoted team. Sheffield United are now the standard bearer for Championship teams getting promoted, they are more than respected. I also agree Wilder is a top drawer manager who is already manager of the year IMO.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 08:37

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews It would be unjust if that happened to Leeds, this is their year. I think that club with a big summer transfer window could easily replicate Sheffield United's achievements.

I meant achievements in terms of holding their own in the Premier League, I think that is a good benchmark for any promoted team. Sheffield United are now the standard bearer for Championship teams getting promoted, they are more than respected. I also agree Wilder is a top drawer manager who is already manager of the year IMO.

100%. I know Klopp is on his way to go unbeaten in the league and is clearly one of the best managers in the world but Wilder has turned Enda Stevens into a premier league LWB. I dont think I need to ask which is more impressive.

Leeds could survive. But honestly I can also see them (if they go up) doing a Fulham. Or a Norwich.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 21 Jan 2020 08:39

Please please please...can the poster who loves LUFC and tells us on and on and on and on how great Leeds are......just now stop telling us.

You really don't need to tell us every day. Honestly, you don't. Change the record.

17149 posts