MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Jason Bowen

206 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Jason Bowen

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 08:55

Old Man Andrews
Stranded I know but I am struggling to think of who will go out wide or fill that gap who isn't going to be involved against Bristol - pretty much left me with Aluko.

Think I would rather have any youth team player there, could even put Loader out on the left I guess and play Puscas up top. It is the sort of game Puscas needs right now imo.

Agreed. Would like Puscas to get another run.

But Loader and Boye will probably be in ahead of him for this

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jan 2020 09:05

Stranded
Hound Disappointed if Aluko starts tbh, unless he has been showing something in training

Would start a few more of the fringe players I think. Something like

Walker

Howe
Blackett
Miazga
McIntyre

McCleary
Adam
Rino
Olise
Richards

Puscas

Rafael, Baldock, Swift, Ejaria, Burley, Gunter, Loader

I'll be surprised if anyone likely to be involved on Tuesday night starts on Saturday esp. with the short gap to the Cardiff league game too.

Think Burley will get another start and Richards will play again if fit at the back. Would expect same back 5 as the Blackpool replay win.

McCleary is a definite but the other wing is a question mark, think it may be Aluko - Olise will be involved on Tuesday esp if Meite is still on compassionate leave, which is likely.

Team for me will be:

Walker

Howe
Miazga
Burley
Richards

McLeary
Rinomhota
East
Aluko

Boye
Loader

Bench: Boniah-Clarke, Baldock, Puscas, Blackett, Medford-Smith, Adam, A.N. Other academy graduate who will get 5 mins if we are 2-0up

Loader maybe in a number 10 role so 4-4-1-1.

East has been on the bench in the last 2 cup games and with Olise not involved think he may get a start.

You forgot about McIntyre too

Think it'd be an awful mistake if we make 11 changes but can see Bowen doing it. Primarily depends on what Cardiff do though because I think our "B" team could be stronger than theirs

The problem will start to arise though if we do get further into the competition. Do we keep playing the players that have got us here or start to strengthen up?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 09:45

URZZZZ
Stranded
Hound Disappointed if Aluko starts tbh, unless he has been showing something in training

Would start a few more of the fringe players I think. Something like

Walker

Howe
Blackett
Miazga
McIntyre

McCleary
Adam
Rino
Olise
Richards

Puscas

Rafael, Baldock, Swift, Ejaria, Burley, Gunter, Loader

I'll be surprised if anyone likely to be involved on Tuesday night starts on Saturday esp. with the short gap to the Cardiff league game too.

Think Burley will get another start and Richards will play again if fit at the back. Would expect same back 5 as the Blackpool replay win.

McCleary is a definite but the other wing is a question mark, think it may be Aluko - Olise will be involved on Tuesday esp if Meite is still on compassionate leave, which is likely.

Team for me will be:

Walker

Howe
Miazga
Burley
Richards

McLeary
Rinomhota
East
Aluko

Boye
Loader

Bench: Boniah-Clarke, Baldock, Puscas, Blackett, Medford-Smith, Adam, A.N. Other academy graduate who will get 5 mins if we are 2-0up

Loader maybe in a number 10 role so 4-4-1-1.

East has been on the bench in the last 2 cup games and with Olise not involved think he may get a start.

You forgot about McIntyre too

Think it'd be an awful mistake if we make 11 changes but can see Bowen doing it. Primarily depends on what Cardiff do though because I think our "B" team could be stronger than theirs

The problem will start to arise though if we do get further into the competition. Do we keep playing the players that have got us here or start to strengthen up?

Yep - fair point, he slipped my mind.

Yeah, agree it becomes a problem changing the side so much if we progress but the 5th round is not until the first week of March, so assuming we win on Saturday, we'll have 8 league games before we get to that game - and still 6 if we need a replay.

So by the time we get to the 5th round we'll only have 10 games left and have a pretty solid idea of if we can still reach the play-offs (or if we have slipped back into some form of trouble) or if we are essentially playing out the season.

If the latter, then I would imagine you'll see stronger cup teams and some of those currently involved in the cup only getting league minutes. The real challenge will be what to do if we say get a home tie against the winner of Pompey/Barnsley for example but we are just 4 or 5 points off the play-offs. Stick or twist.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 09:54

without looking, I'm guessing the fixtures are more evenly spread out by the next round, and there will be far less need to rest players.

I'd expect us to play a first 11 from the next round on

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2020 09:57

Hound without looking, I'm guessing the fixtures are more evenly spread out by the next round, and there will be far less need to rest players.

Depends on the draw I guess. If we get a Northampton or a Coventry at home I could see us starting a weakened team with a strong bench. Also depends on the league for by that point. If we are a couple of points outside the playoffs when the round 5 tie is played Bowen will rest the key players imo. The amount he bangs on about the playoffs thats clearly his one and only aim.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jan 2020 10:09

Perfect opportunity to test some players mixed in with the first team.

-------------------Rafael
Howe---Miazga---McIntyre---Richards
----------------Rinomhota
--------------Olise---Adam
McCleary----------------------------Loader
------------------Baldock

Walker
Yiadom?
Blackett
Swift
Ejaria
Boye
Puscas

Suggesting Baldock up front because he scored. Puscas to play final 20 minutes if he doesnt..

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Jan 2020 11:15

Old Man Andrews
Stranded I know but I am struggling to think of who will go out wide or fill that gap who isn't going to be involved against Bristol - pretty much left me with Aluko.

Think I would rather have any youth team player there, could even put Loader out on the left I guess and play Puscas up top. It is the sort of game Puscas needs right now imo.

I'd rather my dead granny played there, her ghost would put in as much effort, but I'm sure JLow said that Bowen said that Aluko would start on Saturday

I'm going to the game too, so bang goes my blood pressure.

I suppose there's a faint hope that playing him shows that he's fit, and some club will come in for him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 11:19

muirinho
Old Man Andrews

I'd rather my dead granny played there, her ghost would put in as much effort, but I'm sure JLow said that Bowen said that Aluko would start on Saturday

I suppose there's a faint hope that playing him shows that he's fit, and some club will come in for him.

Assuming he starts then this is a relative risk free way of putting him in the shop window whilst letting him know if he performs he has a chance at full reintegration to the squad if no-one wants him.

Reintegration has worked for both Gunter and McCleary so it is possible (but unlikely) that it could work for Aluko too.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jan 2020 14:24

Hound without looking, I'm guessing the fixtures are more evenly spread out by the next round, and there will be far less need to rest players.

If we get to the 5th round, we play on the 22nd, 26th and 29th Feb before that

Then the cup game is on the Wednesday preceding that 29th Feb game. We have no game midweek between the 7th and 14th March but a midweek game between the 14th and 21st. So the fixtures do look pretty congested still, in particular if we were to draw the 5th round game because I presume they'd put that on the 10th/11th March

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jan 2020 14:25

Stranded
muirinho
Old Man Andrews

Assuming he starts then this is a relative risk free way of putting him in the shop window whilst letting him know if he performs he has a chance at full reintegration to the squad if no-one wants him.

Reintegration has worked for both Gunter and McCleary so it is possible (but unlikely) that it could work for Aluko too.

Agree, we need all the players that we can in the run in. If Aluko performs in training, works hard behind the scenes, he deserves a shot. No-one here is able to judge that

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Jan 2020 15:52

I reckon Bowen will go all in with players who did not play last night/youth and that it will be:

-------------------Walker
------------Rinomhota----
----------McCleary----Adam---
Boye----------------------------Aluko
-----------------Loader-----

Andressen/CBC
Watson
Burley
Dorsett
Medford-Smith
East
House

If that team plays as well as they did in the Blackpool match it might have enough about it. And Cardiff play Tuesday and Fridays nights next week too and so will probably rest a good number of first teamers.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jan 2020 16:02

andrew1957 I reckon Bowen will go all in with players who did not play last night/youth and that it will be:

Andressen/CBC
Watson
Burley
Dorsett
Medford-Smith
East
House

If that team plays as well as they did in the Blackpool match it might have enough about it. And Cardiff play Tuesday and Fridays nights next week too and so will probably rest a good number of first teamers.

Apart from Boye who was/is tragic and probably needs to go.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 16:07

URZZZZ

If we get to the 5th round, we play on the 22nd, 26th and 29th Feb before that

Then the cup game is on the Wednesday preceding that 29th Feb game. We have no game midweek between the 7th and 14th March but a midweek game between the 14th and 21st. So the fixtures do look pretty congested still, in particular if we were to draw the 5th round game because I presume they'd put that on the 10th/11th March

No replays in the 5th round this year. Goes to extra time and penalties if needed.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Jan 2020 18:25

John Smith
andrew1957 I reckon Bowen will go all in with players who did not play last night/youth and that it will be:

Andressen/CBC
Watson
Burley
Dorsett
Medford-Smith
East
House

Apart from Boye who was/is tragic and probably needs to go.

Odd comment as Boye was very good against Blackpool. Scored and hit the woodwork twice. I agree he has not had a good time here but give him a chance.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 23 Jan 2020 19:10

I suspect that Adam, Loader, Boye Miazga and Gmac will be invloved. The rest. Who knows? :roll:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2020 19:31

Andressen/CBC
Watson
Burley
Dorsett
Medford-Smith
East
House

I think this will be very close to the team Bowen choses. It’s very decent for a reserve team.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2020 19:32

Just to add Cardiff have sold around 2200 tickets to date so they will have a decent support at the game. Their fans in the Only One Cardiff City messageboard are being complementary about trips to Reading saying it’s a good day out, decent ales in the fanzine area etc. Rare to have positive stuff about going to our ground.

Also positive on the Cardiff City football messageboard ccmb where I have been posting for donkeys years.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Jan 2020 20:45

Looking forward to most of the team being rested so we concentrate all our efforts on a memorable 12th place league finish. We are long shots for both promotion and relegation.

We are exactly the type of club that should be giving the cup a proper go. Mid table and improving. Shades of 2009/10. That cup run gave us a launch that led to a play off final and a league title.

But we wont, as would most other championship clubs. Its pathetic and totally self defeating.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2020 22:29

Tony Le Mesmer Looking forward to most of the team being rested so we concentrate all our efforts on a memorable 12th place league finish. We are long shots for both promotion and relegation.

We are exactly the type of club that should be giving the cup a proper go. Mid table and improving. Shades of 2009/10. That cup run gave us a launch that led to a play off final and a league title.

But we wont, as would most other championship clubs. Its pathetic and totally self defeating.

The one defence is that we have a settled team who are playing a lot of League games at the moment. There is though a real possibility that the season could be very flat if we get knocked out on Saturday.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Jan 2020 22:44

Old Man Andrews

Puscas has a shoulder problem that needs to be carefully managed.

No point risking making it worse for a meaningless cup competition.

206 posts