211 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: FA Cup 19/20

by John Smith » 28 Jan 2020 16:22

boycey F that
I'm all in for the FA cup
Decent chance of getting to the QF's here
Going to football is all about the days out, on the sauce, and a QF away at one of the bog boys or local rivals would be hands down the highlight of the season.

We aint making the play offs so lets give it a bash.
Full strength team, for the replay please.

+10000

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 28 Jan 2020 16:23

John Smith
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews No I think we can get to the quarters or semi finals. Both are huge ocassions and very, very exciting.

Yawn.

League is key to doing well next season. 8th to 13th is realistic and would make a bigger difference to next season than 14th to 16th and a huge difference compared to 17th - 21st.

Certainly more than a 5th / QF / SF or maybe even Final would IMO. Though the money would certainly be a bonus

Wow. Snowflake Royal in talking complete and utter bollocks again shocker

Do I read that right , 13th in the league is better than being in the FA Cup Final ? Now that is bonkers

boycey

by boycey » 28 Jan 2020 16:27

Hendo
boycey F that
Going to football is all about the days out, on the sauce, and a QF away at one of the bog boys or local rivals would be hands down the highlight of the season.

Ok, lets say that Swift gets injured in the replay (he has a patchy history with fitness after all). Our main creative player is then out for the rest of the season, the goals dry up and while we might not make the play-offs, without a creative spark, we could quite easily get dragged into another relegation fight.

And before anyone says "why bother playing him in a league game then?" The league is and should always take priority and is worth the risk to play players who might be suspect to injuries.

He's paid handsomely to play for Reading and the FA cup is one of only two cups that we're ever likely to win.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2020 16:29

boycey
Hendo
boycey F that

Ok, lets say that Swift gets injured in the replay (he has a patchy history with fitness after all). Our main creative player is then out for the rest of the season, the goals dry up and while we might not make the play-offs, without a creative spark, we could quite easily get dragged into another relegation fight.

And before anyone says "why bother playing him in a league game then?" The league is and should always take priority and is worth the risk to play players who might be suspect to injuries.

He's paid handsomely to play for Reading and the FA cup is one of only two cups that we're ever likely to win.

I'm not 100% sure that your point is relevant to what I said, but there you go.

FTR, I don't think Reading are ever likely to win either the FA or League Cup. I'd rather keep him fit and make sure he contributes in a competition where we do have a chance of success/preventing failure.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Jan 2020 16:30

The fact is that the FA Cup is worth very little financially whereas promotion to the PL is worth squillions.

And so IMO the next two games will decide our approach to the FA Cup replay. Two wins and we will have 43 points from 30 and have a very realistic chance of the play offs - 30/32 off the last 16 looks doable considering we have 9 of the 16 at home and mainly against lower ranked sides. 73/75 points is normally enough for the play offs.

However, lose the next 2 games and Bowen might decide that the play offs are too much of a stretch and it will be worth risking the First Team squad playing an extra game next Tuesday night.

If we win one and lose one of the next two that will make Bowen's decision harder - but the truth is that whatever any of us think the League will take precedence over the Cup these days because of the money issue.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 16:30

Hendo
boycey F that

So by that logic, let’s just not play Swift at all as soon as we are mathematically confirmed to be in the league next season on the off chance he gets injured

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 28 Jan 2020 16:41

Bowen did make the point on Saturday that Bristol City had a free day and that i feel was his main consideration in picking the team he did. (the 3rd round was just after the busy Christmas and New year period) Cardiff are also playing tonight so i see no reason for him not to put out a stronger side on Tuesday.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2020 16:42

URZZZZ
Hendo
boycey F that

So by that logic, let’s just not play Swift at all as soon as we are mathematically confirmed to be in the league next season on the off chance he gets injured

But that isn't my logic at all.

I can guarantee that if Bowen played him against Cardiff and his hamstring went again, keeping him out of the side, Bowen would get so much oxf*rd grief, it would be unreal.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 16:47

Hendo
URZZZZ
Hendo

I can guarantee that if Bowen played him against Cardiff and his hamstring went again, keeping him out of the side, Bowen would get so much oxf*rd grief, it would be unreal.

I agree with your second point

But you said "make sure he contributes in a competition where we do have a chance of success/preventing failure". What if we get to a stage where we can't do either? What's the point of therefore playing him?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2020 16:58

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

I agree with your second point

But you said "make sure he contributes in a competition where we do have a chance of success/preventing failure". What if we get to a stage where we can't do either? What's the point of therefore playing him?

But we need Swift to make sure that we are in a position to do both, once we can't really do anything I am happy to rest him.

boycey

by boycey » 28 Jan 2020 17:05

Its a ridiculous argument really.
We're saying we wont try our hardest to win one of only two competitions that we're in.
If promotion to the premier league and coming straight back down is the only thing we're aiming for then I give up.

We've all been brainwashed by the "big 4" .

Reading FC dont have a chance of European glory.... unless we win the FA cup... Bosh!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 17:55

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal Yawn.

League is key to doing well next season. 8th to 13th is realistic and would make a bigger difference to next season than 14th to 16th and a huge difference compared to 17th - 21st.

Certainly more than a 5th / QF / SF or maybe even Final would IMO. Though the money would certainly be a bonus

Were you preemptively yawning about the post you were about to type?

Nothing is key to how we do next season, the play off final season under Stam is clear evidence of that. We finished like 19th the season before it. :roll:

The FA Cup is sacred and of the highest importance.

Just to add to that, we didn’t win any of our last 7 games in that 15/16 season (0-1-6 was the record) so I’m not sure how well you end a season correlates to how well you start the next one

The Championship, in general is just a weird league, you can easily go from 18th from one season to 5th in the next and it’s never really that surprising

I haven't done the stats, but I'd be very wary of isolated outliers if I were you.

Of the last few seasons, how many have we finished well and how many poorly... how many resulted in a much better performance the next season.

Because it's arguably no strong finishes (maybe PO year, but that ended on a real downer), lots of poor finishes that translated into poor seasons and one that translated into a great one - with a manager change too.

I'm simply saying if you play the odds, finishing stronger has a better correlation with a good following season than finishing poorly. And similarly with league position.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 18:30

Gunny Fishcake
John Smith
Snowflake Royal Yawn.

Wow. Snowflake Royal in talking complete and utter bollocks again shocker

Do I read that right , 13th in the league is better than being in the FA Cup Final ? Now that is bonkers

No you read it wrong. 13th would have a bigger impact on a better next season than a SF.

Beat Cardiff or not, we're still extremely unlikely to make a semi so too early to prioritise the cup. That's 5th round / QF territory, not 3rd / 4th round.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2020 18:31

Ian, you know you're talking complete bollocks. Give it up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 18:33

URZZZZ
Hendo
boycey F that

Shit predictable strawman in being shit and predicted shocker. :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 18:38

Old Man Andrews Ian, you know you're talking complete bollocks. Give it up.

Fyi, my patience with your continued rudeness to everyone and inability to discuss alternate view points has expired.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2020 18:43

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews Ian, you know you're talking complete bollocks. Give it up.

Fyi, my patience with your continued rudeness to everyone and inability to discuss alternate view points has expired.

Er look at your post above you utter goon.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 19:26

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Hendo

Shit predictable strawman in being shit and predicted shocker. :roll:

I mean not really

Read the posts. He said Swift should be rested in case of the chance of success (playoffs) and failure (relegation). To which I responded with if we have nothing to play for, then there’s no point of playing him by the same logic

To which he responded to. So really there wasn’t much point of that dig. But each to their own

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jan 2020 07:57

andrew1957

However, lose the next 2 games and Bowen might decide that the play offs are too much of a stretch and it will be worth risking the First Team squad playing an extra game next Tuesday night.

If we win one and lose one of the next two that will make Bowen's decision harder - but the truth is that whatever any of us think the League will take precedence over the Cup these days because of the money issue.

If we lose the next two games then we will be on a league run of 1 point out of 15 or something equally bad.
Who's to say we'd fare any better with the so called 1st Team when they can't buy a win themselves.

It's often tempting to think making a lot of changes means we're worse off but it's always worth considering that if your regulars also start to believe cup competitions are inferior then perhaps that extra little zip and effort required to win games in the cup simply isn't there anyway.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 29 Jan 2020 10:11

Zammo Woman at work is our One Show cup draw representative tonight. Done it before apparently.

Has she been on BBC RB before, like for their midweek sports show last season? Think her name and voice was familiar.

211 posts