Blackett to Turkey.

162 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Blackett to Turkey.

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2020 10:23

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ I always thought Watson looked good when he burst onto the scene, disappointed it didn’t quite work for him

That injury really set him back. He was great in that U18 team and looked very promising in his first couple of appearances as you say.

You could see how a long term injury could really oxf*rd up a young footballer with a decent irst 7professional contract. Lots of time, lots of money and nothing to do, easy to go off the rails, lose focus, lose fitness or whatever.

Not saying that's what happened, but hard to get back into the senior game at that stage.

I didn’t know he got injured to be honest, thought he just could never get ahead of Gunter

Never really worked out for him too much on loans either, he barely had a kick at Coventry this season

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Jan 2020 15:15

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ I always thought Watson looked good when he burst onto the scene, disappointed it didn’t quite work for him

That injury really set him back. He was great in that U18 team and looked very promising in his first couple of appearances as you say.

You could see how a long term injury could really oxf*rd up a young footballer with a decent irst 7professional contract. Lots of time, lots of money and nothing to do, easy to go off the rails, lose focus, lose fitness or whatever.

Not saying that's what happened, but hard to get back into the senior game at that stage.

I didn’t know he got injured to be honest, thought he just could never get ahead of Gunter

Never really worked out for him too much on loans either, he barely had a kick at Coventry this season

I thought he looked good when he first broke into the first team but he seems to have failed on loan elsewhere. Sometimes it just comes down to luck and a player in front of you getting injured.

He still has two years left on his contract but with Howe now ahead of him I will be surprised if he is here next season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Jan 2020 10:56

So with Tyler back to his old self would we really be that disappointed if he went off to Turkey this week (not just for a holiday)?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jan 2020 11:18

From
https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-17648516

Bowen on Blackett's contract

We asked Mark Bowen last night about the latest on Tyler Blackett and his contract situation.

The defender has been offered a new deal amid interest from Turkey but he is yet to commit.

Bowen said: “Not sure [about his situation]. I’ve told my wishes to the board and am letting them get on with it.”

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jan 2020 11:47

morganb From
https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-17648516

Bowen on Blackett's contract

We asked Mark Bowen last night about the latest on Tyler Blackett and his contract situation.

The defender has been offered a new deal amid interest from Turkey but he is yet to commit.

Bowen said: “Not sure [about his situation]. I’ve told my wishes to the board and am letting them get on with it.”

It’s so hard to make up your mind about Blackett. He’s got talent, a good cross on him, generally defends well but yesterday, once again shows up his deficiencies, standing there and letting his marker get ahead of him

Personally wouldn’t be too upset to see all three of him, Obita and Richards moved on. They can all do a job in the Championship but if we want to progress as a club, I think we could do with a bit more there

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Jan 2020 13:05

im defo not up for getting shot of 3 of our full back options, unless its for two better options. which it wont be

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jan 2020 14:16

Maneki Neko im defo not up for getting shot of 3 of our full back options, unless its for two better options. which it wont be

I just think our recent successes have been based off a stable regular back four

Murty - Ingimarsson - Sonko - Shorey
Cummings - Pearce - Gorkss - Harte

Yet none of our left backs are really ever able to cement their place and it’s been like that for years. I’d like to sign a LB who can really make a consistent and regular contribution. I wouldn’t mind keeping one of them as back up, preferably Blackett or Richards if he can develop

They are OK options for some Championship teams but if we ever want to develop as a club, and start achieving successes again, then I think we could do with a mainstay LB

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2020 21:21

Tyler Blackett has turned down the contract offer made by Reading and is now expected to leave the club, though most likely in the summer when his current deal expires.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2020 21:30

Sutekh Tyler Blackett has turned down the contract offer made by Reading and is now expected to leave the club, though most likely in the summer when his current deal expires.

Jordan Obita likes this.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jan 2020 22:51

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Tyler Blackett has turned down the contract offer made by Reading and is now expected to leave the club, though most likely in the summer when his current deal expires.

Jordan Obita likes this.

Richards even more so.

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 30 Jan 2020 12:39

He's had a reasonable run recently, but has also cost us a lot of goals when playing, just doesn't get tight to his player, drifts away, look like simple goals to not concede and has been the case for years with him. The games we draw and lose are often fine margins, he's a liability IMO.

If he doesn't want to play for Reading, thats enough for me to show him the door.

Obita is still finding his feet after a long long time out. But is getting game time to get up to match fitness, albeit sometimes on the wing (where he played when he was younger), if he finds his feet and is given the opportunity to cement LB again with a back 4, i'm happy with that - as long as whoever plays in front of him puts a shift in to cover as wingers should - but there lies the problem - we haven't got a left winger (going back to my reply on the other thread, recall Barrow if thats possible).

Only been to Turkey once, on a 2 week holiday in 2016. Won't be going back after getting e coli 0157 and being very very unwell, so if Blackett thinks the grass is greener over there I hope he gets the worst shits of his life.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jan 2020 12:50

Its out of out hands now so getting Obita to sign is now a priority IMO. He's shown more than enough to prove he has something to offer after coming back from injury and I'm confident he wants to stay.

If have liked to see Blackett stay but he's in a position where we have reasonable options so it's not the end of the world.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jan 2020 13:48

This is nothing short of a monumental disaster for the club and an absolute concrete end to any playoff aspirations that may have been lingering.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jan 2020 14:15

You really are a master baiter, John Smith.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2020 18:56

Snowflake Royal Meh.

Probably on a pretty big wedge, 4th or 5th choice CB, one of three LBs. You can't get money for everyone. Happy for him to stay, happy for him to go for free at the end of the season.

I'm sticking by this.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Jan 2020 22:18

John Smith

This is nothing short of a monumental disaster for the club and an absolute concrete end to any playoff aspirations that may have been lingering.

Not good enough for the play offs.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Feb 2020 17:03

I'd fly him to Turkey myself.

I used to call him Liability Blackett for a reason, and sadly while many aspects of his game did improve, one can never be 100% confident with him in defence.

With Obita and Richards, I'd be more than happy to free up some of the wage bill.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Feb 2020 20:46

After being what you might say being charitable has been erratic in terms of performances over the last couple of seasons there is no doubt that Blackett has been very good lately. Some players (such as Robson-Kanu who in particular stands out) seem to be able to turn the magic on just when their contracts are due to run out. One cannot help wondering if Blackett is another of these - in which case we will be well rid come summer.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 03 Feb 2020 22:00

andrew1957 After being what you might say being charitable has been erratic in terms of performances over the last couple of seasons there is no doubt that Blackett has been very good lately. Some players (such as Robson-Kanu who in particular stands out) seem to be able to turn the magic on just when their contracts are due to run out. One cannot help wondering if Blackett is another of these - in which case we will be well rid come summer.

Or is just actually having a decent run in a settled side and fairly solid defence helping?

Think anyone suggesting we cash in on Blackett is clueless - we won't get much for him considering his contract length and he's been one of the first names on the team sheet the last few months. Got to be up there for assists this season?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2020 08:08

Jagermesiter1871
andrew1957 After being what you might say being charitable has been erratic in terms of performances over the last couple of seasons there is no doubt that Blackett has been very good lately. Some players (such as Robson-Kanu who in particular stands out) seem to be able to turn the magic on just when their contracts are due to run out. One cannot help wondering if Blackett is another of these - in which case we will be well rid come summer.

Or is just actually having a decent run in a settled side and fairly solid defence helping?

Think anyone suggesting we cash in on Blackett is clueless - we won't get much for him considering his contract length and he's been one of the first names on the team sheet the last few months. Got to be up there for assists this season?

He has actually been one of our top 3 performers this season. He should remain first choice left back for the remainder.

162 posts