January Transfer Window

456 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: January Transfer Window

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2020 13:52

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Look where Clement is now, that will tell you all you need to know.

Playing in the top tier of Dutch football? Captained his team in a few games and scored twice and two assists?

Would say he is doing alright for himself, tbh.

Terrible player, playing for a terrible club in a really poor league.

Try again.

At 23, I'd also say he has time to improve as a player.

I don't really know too much about the Dutch league, but I guess you know best.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2020 13:54

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Is he wrong to be fair? Did he ever get a decent run in the team to show what he can do?

Look where Clement is now, that will tell you all you need to know.

Playing in the top tier of Dutch football? Captained his team in a few games and scored twice and two assists?

Yeah, he wasn't amazing but as I've said before, he took unwarranted criticism like all our Dutch players did and he's still playing at a relatively high level

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 14:02

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Terrible player, playing for a terrible club in a really poor league.

Try again.

As the forums European football aficionado I can tell you Clement has had a fair season in all honesty. He is at the level he should be which is playing for a strugglign Dutch side who will never go anywhere. He is a pro footballer though and getting regular game time so its hard to knock him too much.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 24 Feb 2020 14:31

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Terrible player, playing for a terrible club in a really poor league.

Try again.

As the forums European football aficionado.

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2020 18:09

URZZZZ
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Look where Clement is now, that will tell you all you need to know.

Yeah, he wasn't amazing but as I've said before, he took unwarranted criticism like all our Dutch players did and he's still playing at a relatively high level

Seemed a pointless signing and if he hadn't gone we might not have seen Olise or any of Barrett. But once here he probably deserved a bigger crack of the whip and certainly wasn't as bad as some.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2020 19:02

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Hendo

Seemed a pointless signing and if he hadn't gone we might not have seen Olise or any of Barrett. But once here he probably deserved a bigger crack of the whip and certainly wasn't as bad as some.

I felt the problem for him was that he wasn’t ever given a consistent run in one position. He played at RWB, LWB, CM, LW and ST all in that first season which means constant adaptations

I like versatile players, especially as you can then afford a more attacking bench, but it was too much for a player like Pelle, learning his trade in a tough and unforgiving environment. We should really have just kept him in one position and focused on that

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2020 20:46

Could never really work Clement out. Looked a handy player at times but at the same time utterly unmemorable. Can’t think of a single thing he did in his time here

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 24 Feb 2020 23:27

Hound Only Mannone and Aluko were financial disasters looking back

We tossed away a few million on Edwards and Clement but Barrow was vfm, Bacuna sold at a profit and Bod was reasonable

It was as much those ridiculous contracts - 4 years for Kelly and Aluko on sky high wages, 3 for Popa, Mannone apparently very well paid, and giving utterly unnecessary and expensive extensions to McShane, Joey and Yann.

My life we made some awful signings under Stam. You look at the squad now, and there’s not 1 player of ship out for that shambles of a team. Maybe Barrow if he could be arsed. They were so bad to watch too...lifeless! Kelly alongside VDB & Edwards. How much better are Swift, Rino, Ejaria & co to that trio of turd!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Feb 2020 14:45

URZZZZ I like versatile players, especially as you can then afford a more attacking bench, but it was too much for a player like Pelle, learning his trade in a tough and unforgiving environment. We should really have just kept him in one position and focused on that

A bit like Paul Warhurst?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Feb 2020 22:14

Notts Royal
Hound Only Mannone and Aluko were financial disasters looking back

We tossed away a few million on Edwards and Clement but Barrow was vfm, Bacuna sold at a profit and Bod was reasonable

It was as much those ridiculous contracts - 4 years for Kelly and Aluko on sky high wages, 3 for Popa, Mannone apparently very well paid, and giving utterly unnecessary and expensive extensions to McShane, Joey and Yann.

My life we made some awful signings under Stam. You look at the squad now, and there’s not 1 player of ship out for that shambles of a team. Maybe Barrow if he could be arsed. They were so bad to watch too...lifeless! Kelly alongside VDB & Edwards. How much better are Swift, Rino, Ejaria & co to that trio of turd!

Maybe RTGs, but I'd take Beerens into this current squad, Kermogant of course and George Evans as a squad player for midfield cover as opposed to an unknown Brazilian

Back on Pelle Clement he had very good movement and a decent touch. Was "one for the future" as was quite raw and inexperienced, especially in English football, but definitely more talented than many we've signed or nurtured through the academy. Didn't he have the same agent as Stam (as did Beerens , JVDB and Jaakola iirc)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Feb 2020 23:52

3points Maybe RTGs, but I'd take Beerens into this current squad,

Underrated. Would fit in really well into the current line up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Feb 2020 09:10

Lower West
3points Maybe RTGs, but I'd take Beerens into this current squad,

Underrated. Would fit in really well into the current line up.

Yeah +1 to that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2020 09:55

The obsession with old players returning continues....... Why do our fanbase hold on to ex-players so tightly?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Feb 2020 10:02

I don't think anyone has said the club should go back in for him, just recognising that he was perhaps a bit underrated when he was here and that he would fit quite well into the current system.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2020 11:00

Hendo I don't think anyone has said the club should go back in for him, just recognising that he was perhaps a bit underrated when he was here and that he would fit quite well into the current system.

I think we as a fanbase just tend to hold ex-players in a higher regard than is warrented a lot of the time. Beerens was far too lightweight and patchy for me.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Feb 2020 11:08

Old Man Andrews
Hendo I don't think anyone has said the club should go back in for him, just recognising that he was perhaps a bit underrated when he was here and that he would fit quite well into the current system.

I think we as a fanbase just tend to hold ex-players in a higher regard than is warrented a lot of the time. Beerens was far too lightweight and patchy for me.

I do 100% agree with that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Feb 2020 11:31

Beerens was certainly under rated in his time here - he was top class early in his first season particularly

Really didn’t fit into Stam season 2 side though and was pretty awful in it

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 26 Feb 2020 11:44

Hound Beerens was certainly under rated in his time here - he was top class early in his first season particularly

Also think Ola John would fit in quite well for similar reasons always remember his pace and skill. he kind of disappeared not even sure where he is now.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Feb 2020 11:46

linkenholtroyal
Hound Beerens was certainly under rated in his time here - he was top class early in his first season particularly

Also think Ola John would fit in quite well for similar reasons always remember his pace and skill. he kind of disappeared not even sure where he is now.

Wiki suggests Vitória de Guimarães

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Feb 2020 12:45

linkenholtroyal

He did that on the pitch too

Was too inconsistent. Wingers generally are but he was another level

456 posts