Rival Watch

17149 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Silver Fox » 06 Apr 2020 11:32

Didn't they win the european Cup once (they lost the final but I'm sure I've heard that doesn't cout?)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Apr 2020 21:06

They won the Fairs Cup in 68 and 71 but that just reinforces that their "history" is basically Revie and not a lot else.

Of 7 major trophies won, 6 were under Revie.

Of 12 major cup finals reached, 10 were under Revie and 1 was in the season after he left.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Apr 2020 22:50

From Despair To Where? They won the Fairs Cup in 68 and 71 but that just reinforces that their "history" is basically Revie and not a lot else.

Of 7 major trophies won, 6 were under Revie.

Of 12 major cup finals reached, 10 were under Revie and 1 was in the season after he left.

didn't know that. Just goes to show the success a great manager can bring and if he hadn't managed England how long would that legacy have run for perhaps?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Apr 2020 00:04

It's difficult to say, Revie was 47 when he took the England job so not exactly old but that Leeds team were. Hunter, Cooper, Reaney, Madeley, Bremner, Giles and Jones were all in their 30's. They had some decent young players coming through like McQueen and Jordan but most of the squad were 28+ so were at or past their peak.

You've also got to consider the rise of Liverpool, starting under Shankley but more pertinently under Paisley. I don't think Revie had the heart for a rebuild because another thing to consider is that he became more and more mercenary. He almost became Everton manager in the early 70's but they couldn't meet his demands and it's why he quit the England job to manage the UAE.

I remember seeing an interview with Emlyn Hughes where he said that in the first England player meet up of his reign (attended by 81 players), all Revie talked about was money.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jun 2020 13:00

Clotet to leave Birmingham at the end of the season

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jun 2020 13:02

URZZZZ Clotet to leave Birmingham at the end of the season

Weird club. Thought he was doing ok there all things considered.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jun 2020 13:03

Old Man Andrews

Looks like he has asked to leave and they granted it. Maybe he knows they're going to get a points deduction/similar and doesn't want to be a part of that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jun 2020 13:04

Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Looks like he has asked to leave and they granted it. Maybe he knows they're going to get a points deduction/similar and doesn't want to be a part of that.

They have been a basket case since getting rid of Gary Rowett for seemingly no reason.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2020 14:32

Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Think the FL appealed the Independent Disciplinary Comission decision to not deduct points and that outcome is still awaited. Expect this one to run a while yet.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jun 2020 15:05

League 2 has voted to end now. Swindon promoted.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Jun 2020 21:15

Gonna throw a hypothetical at you all, fans who have actually experienced the Reading - Oxford rivalry, would you want them to win the play-offs to get that rivalry back next season?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 10 Jun 2020 07:50

tidus_mi2 Gonna throw a hypothetical at you all, fans who have actually experienced the Reading - Oxford rivalry, would you want them to win the play-offs to get that rivalry back next season?

No. 20 years isn’t long enough. Come on Fleetwood or Wycombe.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jun 2020 09:01

I don't know, wouldn't want to give Headington United the pleasure of thinking we gave two shits about them.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jun 2020 09:06

From Despair To Where? I don't know, wouldn't want to give Headington United the pleasure of thinking we gave two shits about them.

It is interesting how Oxford are seen by many. In my time as a Reading supporter they have just been seen as a bit of a "meh" club, think our hatred for Swindon is much more prevalant.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jun 2020 09:10

Oxford and Swindon hate each other far more than they hate us. Aldershot were our rivals.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jun 2020 09:27

Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where? I don't know, wouldn't want to give Headington United the pleasure of thinking we gave two shits about them.

It is interesting how Oxford are seen by many. In my time as a Reading supporter they have just been seen as a bit of a "meh" club, think our hatred for Swindon is much more prevalant.

The rivalry is still there, although as genome points out, Swindon and Oxford hate each other more than they hate us and personally, I hate Aldershot more than either. Maxwell infuses a particular amount of hatred towards Oxford but they hated him more than us.

20 years of not playing each other does dampen it down and it was always a bit more intense in the Elm Park/Manor Ground days when the grounds were hemmed in and there was genuine promise of trouble literally around the corner.

It does still amuse me though that the Kassam laid half built for 2 years and then still only has 3 sides because they couldn't pay for it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jun 2020 12:14

tidus_mi2 Gonna throw a hypothetical at you all, fans who have actually experienced the Reading - Oxford rivalry, would you want them to win the play-offs to get that rivalry back next season?

It's win win really.

If they fail, it's funny and always nice to be in a division above them.

If they succeed we get the fun of a local rival game, but the risk of losing to the twats

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Jun 2020 08:21

Football?

Ah fcuk no.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Jun 2020 12:23

We all agreed Lyle Taylor is a knobhead?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jun 2020 12:53

Jagermesiter1871 We all agreed Lyle Taylor is a knobhead?

Give some context.

17149 posts