Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst Reading Player

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 May 2020 21:00

think that it was Ians’ attempt at humour tbf Old’un

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 May 2020 15:14

Paul Bodin…….purely on the fact he was useless, and he missed that penalty against Romania that would have taken us to USA 94......useless *wat.

royals6719

by royals6719 » 04 May 2020 16:19

Has Robert Fleck been mentioned yet? . Words cannot describe his time at Reading. I known TB's seven have been collectively mentioned and some individually but cannot see his name yet?

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 04 May 2020 16:22

karbota
From Despair To Where?
JC

Couldn't disagree more. I know he made an arse of himself sometimes but he scored some good goals too. 40 goals in 86 league games says he was no way the worst ever Reading player.

As a callow youth in the mid 80's, without really seeing him play, I thought his goals per game ratio marked him out as a pretty decent player, but the general consensus of more knowledgeable fans was always that he was utter shite.

He was.

No way does Ollie Kearns qualify for a worst ever player accolade. Yes, his ball control was unbelievably bad; the ball would jump off his foot, he would fall over the ball, the crowd would laugh (when it wasn't groaning) but.... he scored goals, lots of them. Plenty of good goals too, along with tap ins. I remember one midweek game - a ball in from the left (Mark White, I think), a first time left footed half volley from well outside the box. Keeper couldn't even move before the ball hit the roof of the net. Stunned silence initially from everyone, in sheer disbelief, before the cheering started.
There are plenty of players with no redeeming features to choose from for the worst ever trophy. My vote goes to Malcolm Swain, shading out Martin James.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 04 May 2020 19:14

Haha quite a few names from the 97-00 era...my life we signed some shockers!

Paul Bodin was dire
Neil Smith anyone?
Michael O’Neill had a poor loan spell
Mark Reilly was dire

Anyone remember Elroy Kromhear? Can’t even remember if he was any good

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2020 19:36

Notts Royal Haha quite a few names from the 97-00 era...my life we signed some shockers!

Paul Bodin was dire
Neil Smith anyone?
Mark Reilly was dire

Kromheer and van der Kwaak - the sign pub players from Europe whilst on tour school of management. Can only assume Burns spent the entire tour pissed. Most of his tenure actually. It would explain the "magnificent" seven and performance on the pitch.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 May 2020 10:45

Notts Royal Haha quite a few names from the 97-00 era...my life we signed some shockers!

Paul Bodin was dire
Neil Smith anyone?
Mark Reilly was dire

nothing significantly wrong with Neil Smith

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 May 2020 11:18

AthleticoSpizz

Paul Bodin was dire
Neil Smith anyone?
Mark Reilly was dire

nothing significantly wrong with Neil Smith

Not that impressed with Joey VDB.Remember Shaun Cummings away at West Brom ?TBF he did get better though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 May 2020 12:27

After a couple of shaky early displays, Joey turned out to be absolute quality.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 May 2020 12:29

Yep, JvdB was not a terrible player, some make him out to be. Certainly not a consideration for our worst player.

One87One

by One87One » 05 May 2020 13:21

Special mentions go to:

Sean Evers (£500,000 back in the old Third Division, League One today). Big money at the time for that level. Of many Tommy Burns flops (RIP).

Keith Scott. A donkey of a carthorse that set us back around £250,000? Did one good thing against Bradford in a League Cup game IIRC, when we were Third Division and they were Premier League. He was puffing out of his backside after sprinting ten paces.

Ray Houghton, Rob Fleck, Stuart Gray... (when he ran, he still looked like he was walking).

One87One

by One87One » 05 May 2020 13:26

Nicky Colgan!!!

Anyone who was at Oxford away the year we went down from Division One will remember just how bad a keeper this guy was. By far the worst in my time watching us, and that's going back to the early 90's. He was having such a sh*t game, he couldn't even take a goal kick and eventually collapsed in a heap with a full away end stood behind him and the 7ft fencing all berating him, faking injury. ISTR someone taking over goal kicks from that point. We were dreadful that night, but he epitomised dreadful.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 May 2020 13:38

Not our worst ever player by any means but for the sake of a different name, Rowan Liburd didn't look suited to league football at all in his three brief appearances for the club. Had all the physical attributes to be a Jason Roberts-type striker, but the balls just bounced off of him. He's now at Hereford, and has scored four international goals for St. Kitts and Nevis.

Reading a lot of players from the Burns era - something I realise with these (particularly Mark Reilly) is that for the most part they were so bad I've forgotten what is was like to watch them play.

Houghton was a funny one. Awful at Reading save for one match where we dicked Man City at Elm Park, and he ran the show like he used to for Liverpool.

KDRF

by KDRF » 05 May 2020 13:43

Amazed nobody has mentioned Andy Hughes, he was truely dreadful.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 May 2020 13:45

KDRF Amazed nobody has mentioned Andy Hughes, he was truely dreadful.

The time he played behind Forster in 4-5-1 formation excludes him from this discussion.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 May 2020 13:50

Hendo

The time he played behind Forster in 4-5-1 formation excludes him from this discussion.

Ah, the age old Andy Hughes debate.

In fact, football fans in general who get a chip on their shoulder about individual players. Hughes was no Pele, but he was a perfectly serviceable football league player, who had good games and bad games. And as you say, he was excellent behind Forster in that setup.

One87One

by One87One » 05 May 2020 13:59

Hughes played with a lot of heart and would run all day, but was bang bang average. He was a modern day Karacan.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 May 2020 14:00

Sanguine
Hendo

Ah, the age old Andy Hughes debate.

In fact, football fans in general who get a chip on their shoulder about individual players. Hughes was no Pele, but he was a perfectly serviceable football league player, who had good games and bad games. And as you say, he was excellent behind Forster in that setup.

Agreed, although I do think that we managed to steal £500k for him :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 May 2020 14:13

One87One Hughes played with a lot of heart and would run all day, but was bang bang average. He was a modern day Karacan.

Again, someone who could in no way be described as a bad player. There's a lack of awareness, particularly in regard to younger players (like Karacan, or Hughes when he joined), is that if they aren't bang average, then they won't be staying long at Reading.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 05 May 2020 15:09

Has anybody mentioned Sean Goater, I know it was towards the end of his career but woeful at Reading..

176 posts