Coronavirus outbreak

1127 posts
Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coronavirus outbreak

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Apr 2020 10:35

Westwood52 Daily Mirror quotes an expert ,that over sixties are substantially at risk of death from Covid.In my business substantial was expressed as a percentage of 25% and over.So doesn’t look as if this cohort will be going anywhere except County Cricket any time soon.Over seventies are six times more at risk of death than over sixties,so they are going nowhere.

Of course the bloke I sit next to will be glad to see the back of me for at least next season.

So over 70's have a 150% chance of dying from Covid? Terrifying.

One87One

by One87One » 23 Apr 2020 11:46

tmesis
One87One Could be no fans at football matches next season until the new year. This will have a devastating impact on football if so.

Or there could be fans back from the Autumn. We don't know yet.

No we don't, but some MP yesterday morning was saying there could be no mass gatherings until 2021, and they're probably right. The Autumn will surely come too soon after all of this.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 23 Apr 2020 13:43

Jagermesiter1871
Westwood52 Daily Mirror quotes an expert ,that over sixties are substantially at risk of death from Covid.In my business substantial was expressed as a percentage of 25% and over.So doesn’t look as if this cohort will be going anywhere except County Cricket any time soon.Over seventies are six times more at risk of death than over sixties,so they are going nowhere.

Of course the bloke I sit next to will be glad to see the back of me for at least next season.

So over 70's have a 150% chance of dying from Covid? Terrifying.

Yeah just shows what a bunch of turkeys a lot of these experts are.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2020 14:27

From Despair To Where? As annoying and unreadable as his stat attacks are, I do hope he's OK.

Yeah wish him no ill will, think the Covid-19 stuff took over his life a bit so hopefully he is just taking a break away from it all.

Let us know you're still with us Snowball.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Apr 2020 19:28

Nameless
tmesis
One87One Could be no fans at football matches next season until the new year. This will have a devastating impact on football if so.

If social distancing I’ll be required until at least the end of the year I would be interested in an explanation of how any sporting events will take place with more than a token number of spectators present.
County cricket should be ok to start on May 1st though.

But we don't know that.

History suggests that pandemics come in waves, peaking, then dropping to almost nothing, but really, all anybody is doing at the moment is guessing.

It's perfectly acceptable to say "if a, then b..." but if 'a' is speculation, then so is 'b'.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2020 21:29

tmesis
Nameless
tmesis Or there could be fans back from the Autumn. We don't know yet.

If social distancing I’ll be required until at least the end of the year I would be interested in an explanation of how any sporting events will take place with more than a token number of spectators present.
County cricket should be ok to start on May 1st though.

But we don't know that.

History suggests that pandemics come in waves, peaking, then dropping to almost nothing, but really, all anybody is doing at the moment is guessing.

It's perfectly acceptable to say "if a, then b..." but if 'a' is speculation, then so is 'b'.

The person ‘guessing’ is pretty qualified to make a highly educated guess. It’s not like picking lottery numbers, there are scores of people who actually know about this stuff and how it is most likely to pan out.
Your ‘we could be back to normal in the autumn’ isn’t even a guess, it’s just disagreeing with what the best opinion says....

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 May 2020 15:48

I've just volunteered and been selected for this study which is looking for participants living in the following area:

We are currently recruiting participants in Oxford (postcode regions OX1, OX2, OX3, and OX4), the City of Westminster, and Reading (postcode regions RG1, RG2, RG30, RG31, RG4, RG5 and RG6).

https://covidstudy.zoo.ox.ac.uk/#section1

The study involves weekly tests for the virus or antibodies although they will not tell you your results ... but I think this is a very important study to support.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 May 2020 16:12

Royalwaster I've just volunteered and been selected for this study which is looking for participants living in the following area:

We are currently recruiting participants in Oxford (postcode regions OX1, OX2, OX3, and OX4), the City of Westminster, and Reading (postcode regions RG1, RG2, RG30, RG31, RG4, RG5 and RG6).

The study involves weekly tests for the virus or antibodies although they will not tell you your results ... but I think this is a very important study to support.

Looks like they're going to save the samples for batch analysis once its all blown over and the Winchester is re-opened.

If you want to help more real time fill in the symptom study App

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 May 2020 17:26

Uke
Royalwaster I've just volunteered and been selected for this study which is looking for participants living in the following area:

Looks like they're going to save the samples for batch analysis once its all blown over and the Winchester is re-opened.

If you want to help more real time fill in the symptom study App

I'm doing that as well ...

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 May 2020 18:05

Why wouldn't they tell you your results?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 May 2020 18:07

Jagermesiter1871 Why wouldn't they tell you your results?

Because they are freezing samples then batch analysing them, the results will too late to be of any clinical use.

They could tell you that you had it today in a year's time

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 May 2020 18:13

Uke

Because they are freezing samples then batch analysing them, the results will too late to be of any clinical use.

Not that late ... it's more likely in a few weeks or a month's time; and the samples are also anonymised as is standard practice in this kind of research. I'm not sure I'd take part if they could link the sample with a name - that's what is known as participant confidentiality and anonymity. I'm not doing it to know if I have it or not, but to help the research into this virus. If I was worried I have, I'd go and get tested.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 12 May 2020 19:10

Is Snowball still MIA?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 May 2020 20:14

Royalwaster
Uke

Not that late ... it's more likely in a few weeks or a month's time; and the samples are also anonymised as is standard practice in this kind of research. I'm not sure I'd take part if they could link the sample with a name - that's what is known as participant confidentiality and anonymity. I'm not doing it to know if I have it or not, but to help the research into this virus. If I was worried I have, I'd go and get tested.

It’ll be months away, when there’s spare capacity.

Clinical trials are my job 8)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 May 2020 00:17

Thanks for the info, have applied

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 May 2020 08:05

Linden Jones' Tash Is Snowball still MIA?

He got destroyed by his own stats.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 May 2020 17:28

muirinho

Thanks for the info, have applied

Did you get selected? I got an email within a couple of days saying I'd been selected ...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 May 2020 18:17

Eniola Aluko says that the furlough scheme has created a culture of do-nothing entitlement.

Presumably she knows a lot about that given her brother has done nothing for nearly three years.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 May 2020 12:48

Nameless
tmesis

As fans of Reading we should all be unaffected then.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 May 2020 22:01

Uke
Royalwaster
Uke

It’ll be months away, when there’s spare capacity.

Clinical trials are my job 8)

In fact the test, included an antibody test that was self administered - so I know now that I am very unlikely to have had COVID, which I didn't think I had (apart from a few hypochondriac moments no real symptoms), so has been useful to be part of this trial.

1127 posts