Any player you recall who virtually beat us on their own.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Any player you recall who virtually beat us on their own.

by Westwood52 » 13 May 2020 18:43

Was impressed with Mata for Chelsea at the Madstad.Evening game;but we actually came back for an unlikely draw.So that doesn’t strictly count.Some of those Arsenal defeats were very one sided.However I always thought they were mainly down to a team effort.

Only one sort of sticks out for me and that was Remi Moses (for Palace ? ).Everytime we equalised,he just got hold of the ball and destroyed Feds. TBF it hasn’t happened that often.Even Murts managed to control Ronaldo.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Any player you recall who virtually beat us on their own.

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 May 2020 19:04

Was going to say Moses....until I actually read your whole post....unplayable for Palace at The ‘stad.

So I will offer up Benni McCarthy in his Blackburn days, regularly skinned our defence...scoring most times that we met, and scored at least one absolute pearler

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 May 2020 19:52

Westwood52 Was impressed with Mata for Chelsea at the Madstad.Evening game;but we actually came back for an unlikely draw.So that doesn’t strictly count.Some of those Arsenal defeats were very one sided.However I always thought they were mainly down to a team effort.

Only one sort of sticks out for me and that was Remi Moses (for Palace ? ).Everytime we equalised,he just got hold of the ball and destroyed Feds. TBF it hasn’t happened that often.Even Murts managed to control Ronaldo.

Are you sure you don't mean Victor ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 May 2020 19:53

Scott Sinclair

End of thread....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 May 2020 19:54

Didn’t Dirk Kuyt pretty much beT is singlehanded at Anfield ? Was it his debut ?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 May 2020 19:57

Nameless Didn’t Dirk Kuyt pretty much beT is singlehanded at Anfield ? Was it his debut ?
well he wasn’t no ‘thread-ending’ Scott Sinclair tho’ was he?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 May 2020 20:05

Westwood52 Was impressed with Mata for Chelsea at the Madstad.Evening game;but we actually came back for an unlikely draw.So that doesn’t strictly count.Some of those Arsenal defeats were very one sided.However I always thought they were mainly down to a team effort.

Victor Moses - Remi played for West Brom and Man United in the 80s.

I have a slightly different memory of Ronaldo - he played on the right for United while Shorey kept him fairly quiet, only to switch to the left flank for one play, in which he scored their equaliser while Murty struggled to stand up. Then at Old Trafford he was completely unplayable and scored twice. Arguably fits for that away match.

Thierry Henry probably could have beaten us on his own but as you say, doesn't fit because he was part of such an excellent team. What about Alexis Sanchez in the FA Cup semi final at Wembley?

Jimmy Bullard for Fulham in 2007?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 13 May 2020 20:08

One I remember vividly was Thierry Henry. I remember when they beat us 4-0 that was the only time I've ever watched Reading be dismantled by a player and a team. He is the best player I've seen play with my eyes live.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 May 2020 20:11

I remember when Torres scored a hat-trick against us. He was unplayable that night.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 May 2020 20:14

Nameless Didn’t Dirk Kuyt pretty much beT is singlehanded at Anfield ? Was it his debut ?

No, it wasn't even his first match for Liverpool against Reading at Anfield. He played at the Madejski for Feyenoord shortly before his transfer to Liverpool (which might be where you're getting the debut from), and then played the last ten minutes in the League Cup. In the league he scored twice. It was a long time ago but I wouldn't have said he outshone Gerrard, Alonso, Hyypia, Carragher, etc.

Torres in the league cup the next season - yep, unplayable.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 May 2020 20:17

I remember a game against Birmingham in the 90's. 0-0 at half time, Barry Fry made 3 subs inicluding Ricky Otto who thoroughly tore us a new arsehole in the second half.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 13 May 2020 22:16

Jermaine Defoe destroyed us For Bournemouth at the end of the 2001 season, we’ll at least for the first half anyway. It took numerous tactical and positional changes to slow him down a touch.
I still laugh at that one, there big away day, and they needed to win to make the play offs, and we managed to somehow nick a 3-3 draw out of it and stop them.
Defoe went back to West Ham and the following season Bournemouth’s annual big day out was put on hold for a few years as they were relegated to league 1.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 May 2020 09:04

Franchise FC

Are you sure you don't mean Victor ?[/quote

Yep your right.Remi was at WBA.Lock down is absolutely doing my head in.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 May 2020 09:12

I seem to remember this guy ripping us to shreds once...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 May 2020 09:34

Westwood52
Franchise FC

Are you sure you don't mean Victor ?[/quote

Yep your right.Remi was at WBA.Lock down is absolutely doing my head in.

You are definitely not alone.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 May 2020 10:38

Hendo I seem to remember this guy ripping us to shreds once...

Came here to say the same.

Also - I can't believe no one has mentioned Moses.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 14 May 2020 15:30

Going back a bit two players who I remember ripping us apart in the 80's were a young Trevor Steven playing for Burnley before he went to Everton, absolutely looked a class above in a game at Elm Park and smashed one in from about 30 yards. Made a note of his name on the programme and was not surprised to see him move to Everton and then play for England. Class player.

The other was Stuart McCall again at Elm Park in that superb ball playing Bradford side that walked Division 3 (as it was then) that year. They beat us 3-0 and we could not get near him.. He absolutely ran the midfield that day. Ball on the floor, they're football was superb that day.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 May 2020 15:37

Simmops One I remember vividly was Thierry Henry. I remember when they beat us 4-0 that was the only time I've ever watched Reading be dismantled by a player and a team. He is the best player I've seen play with my eyes live.

Yep, was the first one that sprung to mind. To be honest the whole Arsenal team were a cut above us that day, but Henry looked like he had walked into a school playground just to take the piss.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 May 2020 15:55

Berbatov
Carew
Jordi Gomez (Wigan)
Seem to recall Taarabt ripping us to shreds one game

One87One

by One87One » 14 May 2020 16:01

Hendo I seem to remember this guy ripping us to shreds once...

That'd be my shout too. He and Roberts absolutely destroyed us that day.