The most charismatic/moronic fan we have or have ever had

oldebiscuit

The most charismatic/moronic fan we have or have ever had

by oldebiscuit » 17 May 2020 22:03

I always remember a very drunken Frankie Henry doing a one man pitch invasion at Elm Park at least once every 3 or 4 games. The Police just threw him out and he was back a couple of games later. No bans in those days.

Old Man Andrews

Re: The most charismatic/moronic fan we have or have ever had

by Old Man Andrews » 18 May 2020 07:31

We currently have some of the worst fans in English football, some of them are a complete disgrace at away games. Loud, rude and deeply, deeply unfunny. everything is pretty much ok as long as it is based in good humour but we just seem to have a load of kids aged 16-25 who get drunk and drugged and then give it the hard one inside the ground whilst hid behind stewards.

Back in the Elm Park days we had a great bunch in the South Bank, proper supporters who were there for football reasons primarily who backed the team, were vocal when they needed to be and were humorous. Our modern day supporters do not have anything on the Elm Park boys.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 May 2020 07:43

Wrttop - Ian Royal.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 May 2020 07:49

Old Man Andrews We currently have some of the worst fans in English football, some of them are a complete disgrace at away games. Loud, rude and deeply, deeply unfunny. everything is pretty much ok as long as it is based in good humour but we just seem to have a load of kids aged 16-25 who get drunk and drugged and then give it the hard one inside the ground whilst hid behind stewards.

Back in the Elm Park days we had a great bunch in the South Bank, proper supporters who were there for football reasons primarily who backed the team, were vocal when they needed to be and were humorous. Our modern day supporters do not have anything on the Elm Park boys.

Absolutely agree on the wannabe hard men football factory film extra Ladz. Worst in the country? Well that's up for debate, mostly they're just try hards.

Not sure given your track record on here that you should be criticising others for being "loud, rude and deeply deeply unfunny" though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 May 2020 07:53

sandman
Old Man Andrews We currently have some of the worst fans in English football, some of them are a complete disgrace at away games. Loud, rude and deeply, deeply unfunny. everything is pretty much ok as long as it is based in good humour but we just seem to have a load of kids aged 16-25 who get drunk and drugged and then give it the hard one inside the ground whilst hid behind stewards.

Absolutely agree on the wannabe hard men football factory film extra Ladz. Worst in the country? Well that's up for debate, mostly they're just try hards.

Not sure given your track record on here that you should be criticising others for being "loud, rude and deeply deeply unfunny" though.

Worst in the country because we have to remember who we support, we support Reading. Nobody is going to take us seriously giving it the big one, ever.

Oh and I am the greatest poster this place has ever produced, you might wanna start learning some respect......

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 May 2020 09:11

This is absolutely correct. For me, it's only in the past decade that it's got this bad. There used to be a certain type of wit in the chants on away days a while back, but now it's just template hooligans singing the same chants as any other team and no originality. Even half the country plays Sweet Caroline at grounds. I blame Twitter.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 May 2020 09:29

sandman

Agree that our fans are moronic, however I expect there are quite a few clubs, similar size to us, that think they have an embarrassing fan base, for very similar reasons. We obviously see our fans a lot more than others, however this season Charlton or possibly Barnsley do spring to mind as being pretty moronic.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 May 2020 09:52

Pepe the Horseman Wrttop - Ian Royal.

I'm really not that charis...

Oh. :cry:

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 18 May 2020 09:59

Anyone for Uri 'I bend your spoon with my mind' Geller. Is it really true that he was invited to make a half-time team talk at Elm Park in the early / mid 90s? I am a bit too young to remember that. Only started watching us the season of the failed play-off final against Bolton in '95.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 May 2020 10:02

Franconian Royal Anyone for Uri 'I bend your spoon with my mind' Geller. Is it really true that he was invited to make a half-time team talk at Elm Park in the early / mid 90s? I am a bit too young to remember that. Only started watching us the season of the failed play-off final against Bolton in '95.

I seem to remember him appearing on the pitch either before a game or at half time once.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 18 May 2020 10:10

Franconian Royal Anyone for Uri 'I bend your spoon with my mind' Geller. Is it really true that he was invited to make a half-time team talk at Elm Park in the early / mid 90s? I am a bit too young to remember that. Only started watching us the season of the failed play-off final against Bolton in '95.

yes and he got booed off, as did lenny henry

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 May 2020 10:11

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Wrttop - Ian Royal.

I'm really not that charis...

Oh. :cry:

lol x

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 May 2020 10:30

As a Southbank chant starter, I don't know too much about the current kids being loud, rude, unfunny etc. I know their chants were far too quick, not done right, weren't getting the same atmosphere, but that has definitely massively improved with Club 1871

I'd agree with the back-in-the-day comment and Southbank as I often reminisce about those glory days, BUT I also can't hand on heart say we were angels. I lost count the number of homophobic chants we'd sing at Brighton, fight chants we would sing, picking out fat opposition fans and asking if they'd ever seen their dicks, or if female suggesting they had a "oxf*rd like a bucket". All 'humour' apparently (and yes it cracked me up I'm sad to say) but we definitely weren't angels. And going round Elm Park looking for fights wasn't unheard of either :oops:

I don't think we were rude and obnoxious and badly behaved. We were a good bunch really. It was just different times.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 May 2020 10:32

WoodleyRoyal

yes and he got booed off, as did lenny henry

Lenny henry

OMG that scene in extras with Gervais and Lenny's pic on the wall. I really like Lenny Henry he's a legend and nice chap, and Gervais while funny is a bit of an arse, but that cracks me up every time.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 May 2020 10:43

Old Man Andrews
sandman

Worst in the country because we have to remember who we support, we support Reading. Nobody is going to take us seriously giving it the big one, ever.

We're Read-IN
We're Read-IN
We'll kick your farking head IN!

That would striker fear into every opposition fan back in the day. Not.

Seriously though our firm was very well respected ;)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 May 2020 10:49

The South Bank crowd were as WW said also a mainly pissed up lot containing its share of morons-time has perhaps over glamourised being under the clock by those of you who have just got older.
Last edited by South Coast Royal on 18 May 2020 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 May 2020 10:53

Old Biscuit might remember Lofty the paper seller who used to sit in the stands near the Tilehurst end.

With a brilliant booming voice he had a favourite shout of "England B" when Dave Meeson IIRC touched the ball, Dave Meeson having once been picked to play for the England B team.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 May 2020 12:45

Loud? - Are you sure? Maybe loud if sat next to them I guess.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 May 2020 12:50

There was one game where the crowd were given two cards, one was red red and the other may have been green or yellow. Using the power of the mind he told the fans which card to hold up. It was a complete mess.

The giant red cards came in handy later in the game though when an opposition player fouled one of ours.

boycey

by boycey » 18 May 2020 13:13

That portly young chap that performed topless front flips vs Bradford gets my vote.