Biggest Reading FC injustices

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Biggest Reading FC injustices

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 May 2020 14:11

In keeping with several threads asking people to reminisce, I'm doing one on the worst refereeing injustices we've had. 2 stick in my mind:

1) Jason McAteer not getting sent off for the penalty at Wembley. Yes, Archie should have scored and we should have won anyway, but the comeback was never on if the ref got it right.

2) The referee providing a defence splitting pass for Norwich at the Mad Stad. We were in the mix for the playoffs at the time, and that defeat left us with a mountain to climb.

Can't think of many successes we owe to a refereeing clanger. No doubt our ghost goal at Norwich will get a mention, but it actually wasn't particularly important in the context of the season. Maybe our penalty against Fulham in 2017 was iffy.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Biggest Reading FC injustices

by Zip » 22 May 2020 14:14

McAteer was the biggest one for me. Down to ten men I just don’t think Bolton would have had the legs to come back the way they did. He should have received a second yellow and the ref bottled it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2020 15:08

Norwich would rightly be annoyed if that ghost goal had actually been given against them, but it wasn’t
We were playing Watford weren’t we ?

Couple of poor reffing decisions at White Hart Lane I recall but not too sure if they were in the same match.
Penalty against us for handball when the call simply bounced up and hit Halford and Defoe tucking in a rebound when he had encroached so far he was nearly offside. It’s hard competing at those grounds at the best of times

Arsenal scoring in that League Cup game in the 7th of 5 added minutes was a choker too

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 May 2020 15:10

The ball hitting the referee isn’t an injustice, it’s just the way the rules were at the time.

Ingimarsson getting sent off after Windass attacked him has to be the most rage inducing for me.

Ones in our favour are surprisingly coming to mind much more readily. Shane Long built his career off diving into the box.

The 2-1 win over Sheffield United in 2005 had two major injustices- Paddy Kenny handling outside the area and only getting a yellow card, and then United didn’t get a pretty clear cut penalty later.

Now I think about it I remember more and more horror tackles that didn’t get properly punished - Riggott on Kitson, Pugh on Karacan, Pugh on McAnuff, Brown on Karacan...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2020 15:31

Wally Downes not getting the chance to actually deck Warnock must rank up there....

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 May 2020 15:58

THAT freekick against MIddlesbrough in the Cup.

Mark Stein.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 May 2020 16:28

Zip McAteer was the biggest one for me. Down to ten men I just don’t think Bolton would have had the legs to come back the way they did. He should have received a second yellow and the ref bottled it.

There was also a foul in the build up to the De Fratius equaliser

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 May 2020 16:30

On the positive side that ghost goal at home to Rochdale in 1975.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 May 2020 16:31

WestYorksRoyal In keeping with several threads asking people to reminisce, I'm doing one on the worst refereeing injustices we've had. 2 stick in my mind:

1) Jason McAteer not getting sent off for the penalty at Wembley. Yes, Archie should have scored and we should have won anyway, but the comeback was never on if the ref got it right.

2) The referee providing a defence splitting pass for Norwich at the Mad Stad. We were in the mix for the playoffs at the time, and that defeat left us with a mountain to climb.

Can't think of many successes we owe to a refereeing clanger. No doubt our ghost goal at Norwich will get a mention, but it actually wasn't particularly important in the context of the season. Maybe our penalty against Fulham in 2017 was iffy.

Second one was not a referee's clanger. HTH.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 May 2020 16:32

Foul on Nicky Shorey at Man City in the last minute of our second relegation season match. Goal given, lost one nil.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 May 2020 16:35

Mid Sussex Royal
Zip McAteer was the biggest one for me. Down to ten men I just don’t think Bolton would have had the legs to come back the way they did. He should have received a second yellow and the ref bottled it.

There was also a foul in the build up to the De Fratius equaliser

I wouldn’t ever watch that game again to remember that foul. Worst day for me as a Reading fan.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2020 16:45

paultheroyal
WestYorksRoyal In keeping with several threads asking people to reminisce, I'm doing one on the worst refereeing injustices we've had. 2 stick in my mind:

Correct. Considering he took a nice first touch, called the pass and then played it inch perfectly there is no wAy it was a clanger....

One87One

by One87One » 22 May 2020 16:58

Boro at Elm Park 1997 (?) League Cup 1/4 final. Ref got bullied after we'd been given a free-kick, we all ran down for it, then he changed his mind and Boro may as well have walked the ball into the net. Still grinds with me.

1995 P/O final as well, as mentioned. McAteer is a c**t and FDF handballed before scoring for them. Get those decisions right and we went up that year.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 22 May 2020 16:59

The big one for me was Demba Ba scoring a late equalizer with his hand against Newcastle in a game where we played really well and deserved to win - very much a 'if we play this well and still can't win' moment early on in our last season in the PL. It was our 5th game of the season, and we didn't win until game 12...

I also recall a game against Leicester where the keeper rushed out of goal and wiped out Kitson (?) from behind - he got nowhere near the ball, and Kits had to go off, yet it was only a yellow (?) I initially thought it was Ian Walker, but now I think its a different keeper with a similar slicked back hair... maybe it wasn't even Leicester...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2020 17:04

Nameless
paultheroyal

Correct. Considering he took a nice first touch, called the pass and then played it inch perfectly there is no wAy it was a clanger....

Not the way I remember it, the ball hit him on the back and the Norwich player thumped it in from 20yds. Ref even apologised on TV afterwards.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 May 2020 17:38

LUX Foul on Nicky Shorey at Man City in the last minute of our second relegation season match. Goal given, lost one nil.

Good shout. Also remember Torres scoring when a yard offside at Stamford Bridge when we looked good for a point. We went down comfortably that season, but you do wonder if a great result like that early on could have set us on a different trajectory.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 May 2020 17:52

As a positive, recall Palace at Elm Park mid eighties (a draw I think)

Palace took the lead with an offside goal (?) to which the ref gave it.
The linesman wasn’t having any of it, and stood his ground (whilst the players regrouped) refusing to move until the ref had a word with him and (after an age) disallowed it.
The only time that a lino was sung praises at by the SB.

Injustice? ....not sure if it qualifies but, Scunthorpe scored from a move originating from a throw-in at the Mad Stad....their player jumped the hoardings and literally hurled the ball from behind them to his team mates who went on and scored whilst the rest of the players weren’t even aware whose throw-in it was. Goal given, think they won.

And of course....all of the aforementioned

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2020 18:09

AthleticoSpizz As a positive, recall Palace at Elm Park mid eighties (a draw I think)

Palace took the lead with an offside goal (?) to which the ref gave it.
The linesman wasn’t having any of it, and stood his ground (whilst the players regrouped) refusing to move until the ref had a word with him and (after an age) disallowed it.
The only time that a lino was sung praises at by the SB.

Injustice? ....not sure if it qualifies but, Scunthorpe scored from a move originating from a throw-in at the Mad Stad....their player jumped the hoardings and literally hurled the ball from behind them to his team mates who went on and scored whilst the rest of the players weren’t even aware whose throw-in it was. Goal given, think they won.

And of course....all of the aforementioned

Can’t spot what might be wrong with the Scunny goal. Looks like quick thinking by them !

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 May 2020 18:18

Yeah, thought that, but it just didn’t look or seem right at the time...don’t think that the lino had flagged a decision, and it looked like a foul throw too, but I was obviously biased

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 22 May 2020 19:27

Nameless Norwich would rightly be annoyed if that ghost goal had actually been given against them, but it wasn’t
We were playing Watford weren’t we ?

Couple of poor reffing decisions at White Hart Lane I recall but not too sure if they were in the same match.
Penalty against us for handball when the call simply bounced up and hit Halford and Defoe tucking in a rebound when he had encroached so far he was nearly offside. It’s hard competing at those grounds at the best of times

Arsenal scoring in that League Cup game in the 7th of 5 added minutes was a choker too

To add insult to injury, Kolscieny, already on a yellow, had to be sent off in the 88th minute for a pull back down near the corner flag of the north & east stand. 1 minute later he pops up with Arsenal’s third goal.