Interesting news article coming out of Yorkshire....

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Interesting news article coming out of Yorkshire....

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 May 2020 18:31

I've got family in Barnsley and apparently they are considering legal action if Derby, Sheffield W and Birmingham are not docked points this season, which could potentially affect the relegation positions.

We are not specifically mentioned but this is still somewhat concerning considering our owner has done the same as Sheffield and Derby to raise funds....does anyone know what is happening, if anything, with regard to this?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... fp-2858749

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Interesting news article coming out of Yorkshire....

by Zip » 21 May 2020 18:36

Still no news about any penalty against us. I can’t see teams docked points at this stage. The start of next season is another matter.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 21 May 2020 19:09

We won't be punished because we sold the stadium to ourselves (allowed by the EFL) at a fair market value (~£20m).

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 May 2020 19:18

Mid Sussex Royal I've got family in Barnsley and apparently they are considering legal action if Derby, Sheffield W and Birmingham are not docked points this season, which could potentially affect the relegation positions.

We are not specifically mentioned but this is still somewhat concerning considering our owner has done the same as Sheffield and Derby to raise funds....does anyone know what is happening, if anything, with regard to this?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... fp-2858749

Was on the radio this evening. Derby will get done.
Birmingham is not so clear cut because they were actually cleared of wrong doing by the independent Disciplinary Commission. The FA however were not happy and are appealing against that decision.
As for us, we haven't broken any rules. FFP is over 3 seasons, we have just spent 3 seasons in one so are all clear......at the moment.

One87One

by One87One » 22 May 2020 11:20

Doesn't affect us. The EFL cleared us of any wrong doing when selling the Madstad to the owners. Derby however vastly vastly over-priced their pudding bowl and deserve everything coming to them.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2020 17:12

...and Sheffield Wed didn't transfer ownership of the stadium and declare the income in the same year so a blatant fiddle of FFP.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 May 2020 11:29

From Despair To Where? ...and Sheffield Wed didn't transfer ownership of the stadium and declare the income in the same year so a blatant fiddle of FFP.

Agreed, if any team is going to have the book thrown at them, it will be Sheff Wed.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 May 2020 12:49

Hendo
From Despair To Where? ...and Sheffield Wed didn't transfer ownership of the stadium and declare the income in the same year so a blatant fiddle of FFP.

Agreed, if any team is going to have the book thrown at them, it will be Sheff Wed.

Derby look to be right in the mire too.
If you declare an asset at a value on your accounts and then buy it off yourself for double that amount something is clearly wrong ! As I understand it they also decided on the valuethemselves.
In our case I believe the stadium was independently valued and sold at that value.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 May 2020 13:29

Nameless
Hendo

If you declare an asset at a value on your accounts and then buy it off yourself for double that amount something is clearly wrong ! As I understand it they also decided on the valuethemselves.
In our case I believe the stadium was independently valued and sold at that value.

The value of an asset in a set of accounts doesn't have to bear any direct relationship to it's current value if sold. In the accounts it's more likely to show the original cost less an allowance for depreciation.

So that, of itself is not proof of anything.

Now if the asset had been recently revalued and the revaluation included in the accounts (it's not compulsory), then ...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 May 2020 13:37

Franchise FC
Nameless
Hendo

The value of an asset in a set of accounts doesn't have to bear any direct relationship to it's current value if sold. In the accounts it's more likely to show the original cost less an allowance for depreciation.

So that, of itself is not proof of anything.

Now if the asset had been recently revalued and the revaluation included in the accounts (it's not compulsory), then ...

No, if you can get someone to pay way more for something than it is ‘worth’ then good luck to you ! That’s called making a profit.
But when you are selling the asset to yourself with the sole aim of avoiding breaching rules then to do so at a level way above what is in any way reasonable is daft.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 May 2020 13:57

Derby's ground was "independently" valued by a company owned by the Morris family.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1