Would this ex-players team get promoted?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Would this ex-players team get promoted?

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jul 2020 10:48

Seeing a few of our ex-players performing quite well recently I wondered how we might have done fielding a team of players who are still playing but making positive allowance for age in some cases.
I needed to include loan players to get a decent squad so this is my recommendation (4-4-2):-

McCarthy
Stacey Mariappa Cooper Ake
Antonio Chalobah Norwood Henry
Long Murray

Subs:-
Martinez
Dickie
Carrico
Fosu
Pog
Sa
I'm sure I have missed somebody but that looks a good starting eleven to me-out of the current squad I would add Swift , Ejaria, Miazga and (after yesterday) Meite..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Would this ex-players team get promoted?

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 10:52

You are sick in the head if you think McCarthy starts ahead of Emi.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Jul 2020 10:54

Fosu over Henry too. The 1st 11 would be right in the mix, but not the depth to last the distance over 46 games.

Pearce as 3rd choice CB, and Sigurdsson would walk into it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 11:03

NewCorkSeth You are sick in the head if you think McCarthy starts ahead of Emi.

He is sick in the head anyway.

Martinez is probably the best goalkeeper who has ever worn a Reading shirt. He's showing his class at Arsenal, he's top drawer.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jul 2020 11:03

WestYorksRoyal Fosu over Henry too. The 1st 11 would be right in the mix, but not the depth to last the distance over 46 games.

Pearce as 3rd choice CB, and Sigurdsson would walk into it.

Gylfi now feels so long ago-how could I have forgotten the best of the lot?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jul 2020 11:09

Old Man Andrews

Martinez is probably the best goalkeeper who has ever worn a Reading shirt. He's showing his class at Arsenal, he's top drawer.

A matter of opinion of course but really "best goalkeeper ever"?
I think the current keeper is as good as him.
Did you never see Steve Death, Marcus or Shaka?

Not sure why you needed to put "sick in the head"-is it because in your own befuddled head you think that every posting of the inane thousands that you make has to be rude or insulting?

Saddo and general thread-ruiner OMA.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jul 2020 11:15

Did you know that he has only ever made 76 first team appearances wherever he has been over the past 9 years?
A reasonable keeper but IMHO not that good.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Jul 2020 11:17

I’d have Lewis Baker in the squad and probably move Ake to centreback and put Bertrand at left back.

Would they get promoted ? Put Coppell in charge and maybe, put Stam in charge and no.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 11:19

South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews

Not sure why you needed to put "sick in the head"-is it because in your own befuddled head you think that every posting of the inane thousands that you make has to be rude or insulting?

Martinez is a better goalkeeper than all three of them, quite comfortably. You are aware there is much more to being a top level goalkeeper than just saving shots? Probably not.

Steve Death - I'm not 90 years old so no I haven't seen him live. Old football was garbage and our team were garbage back then. He was by all rights a good keeper though based on reports by those who did see him live.

Shaka Hislop is the 2nd best keeper who played for Reading. Seen him play on many occasions. Distribution stops him from being the best.

Marcus Hahnemann was a good keeper who was very well protected by his defence. Good distribution but not on the same level as Martinez in any regard.

Rafael wishes he was Emi Martinez.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 11:30

Old Man Andrews

I feel so vindicated that Arsenal fans are figuring out just how good he is. They have a genuine problem now. Leno has been great for them this season yet Martinez is matching him step for step according to reports.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 11:52

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

I feel so vindicated that Arsenal fans are figuring out just how good he is. They have a genuine problem now. Leno has been great for them this season yet Martinez is matching him step for step according to reports.

I think the winner in that situation is Martinez. He will have a lot of clubs after him if he goes back to being back up keeper next season. He can stay at Arsenal and play in Europe and the cups getting paid handsomely or move to a whole host of clubs who will come sniffing. Great place to be in for him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 11:55

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews He is sick in the head anyway.

I think the winner in that situation is Martinez. He will have a lot of clubs after him if he goes back to being back up keeper next season. He can stay at Arsenal and play in Europe and the cups getting paid handsomely or move to a whole host of clubs who will come sniffing. Great place to be in for him.

Could see the majority of clubs in the Premier league sniffing around him. Sheffield United will need a new keeper for one. But he could slot into so many teams across the Premier league. Its probably just Liverpool, City, United and Wolves who have better keepers (unless I'm forgetting someone obvious?)

But yeah, as you say, he has options now.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jul 2020 12:06

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I feel so vindicated that Arsenal fans are figuring out just how good he is. They have a genuine problem now. Leno has been great for them this season yet Martinez is matching him step for step according to reports.

Could see the majority of clubs in the Premier league sniffing around him. Sheffield United will need a new keeper for one. But he could slot into so many teams across the Premier league. Its probably just Liverpool, City, United and Wolves who have better keepers (unless I'm forgetting someone obvious?)

It will be interesting to see what happens with him and whether other clubs agree with you and OMA.
BTW I would add Burnley, Leicester,Newcastle and (if you respect Southgate's view) Everton.
The views of our resident keeper watcher Royal Blue might back you up or otherwise.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 12:07

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I feel so vindicated that Arsenal fans are figuring out just how good he is. They have a genuine problem now. Leno has been great for them this season yet Martinez is matching him step for step according to reports.

Chelsea desperately need a new goalkeeper imo, they could do worse than Martinez.

Think Martinez suits the way Arsenal play way more than Leno, Emi is far superior with his feet. Leno is a very good keeper in his own right of course, not suggesting he isn't but I think Martinez has the edge with his distribution. It's not just the fact he can pass very well it's the speed in which he acts. Many times whilst at Reading you'd see him catch a cross and immediately distribute accurately without even thinking about it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 12:10

South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I think the winner in that situation is Martinez. He will have a lot of clubs after him if he goes back to being back up keeper next season. He can stay at Arsenal and play in Europe and the cups getting paid handsomely or move to a whole host of clubs who will come sniffing. Great place to be in for him.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him and whether other clubs agree with you and OMA.
BTW I would add Burnley, Leicester,Newcastle and (if you respect Southgate's view) Everton.
The views of our resident keeper watcher Royal Blue might back you up or otherwise.

I would personally say Dubrovka, Pope, Guita and Pickford are about the same level. I'm not sure about Schmeichel. Emi has the distinct age advantage over the majority of keepers around his level. Would be a smart investment.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jul 2020 12:10

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews He is sick in the head anyway.

Martinez is a better goalkeeper than all three of them, quite comfortably. You are aware there is much more to being a top level goalkeeper than just saving shots? Probably not.

Steve Death - I'm not 90 years old so no I haven't seen him live. Old football was garbage and our team were garbage back then. He was by all rights a good keeper though based on reports by those who did see him live.

Shaka Hislop is the 2nd best keeper who played for Reading. Seen him play on many occasions. Distribution stops him from being the best.

Marcus Hahnemann was a good keeper who was very well protected by his defence. Good distribution but not on the same level as Martinez in any regard.

Rafael wishes he was Emi Martinez.

Lol @ Marcus and Shaka being inferior but football is about opinions.
I could throw in Dave Meeson, an England B international but realise that football was only invented when the Premier League was established.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 12:11

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I think the winner in that situation is Martinez. He will have a lot of clubs after him if he goes back to being back up keeper next season. He can stay at Arsenal and play in Europe and the cups getting paid handsomely or move to a whole host of clubs who will come sniffing. Great place to be in for him.

Chelsea desperately need a new goalkeeper imo, they could do worse than Martinez.

Think Martinez suits the way Arsenal play way more than Leno, Emi is far superior with his feet. Leno is a very good keeper in his own right of course, not suggesting he isn't but I think Martinez has the edge with his distribution. It's not just the fact he can pass very well it's the speed in which he acts. Many times whilst at Reading you'd see him catch a cross and immediately distribute accurately without even thinking about it.

Reckon Chelsea are gonna try stick it out with the worlds most expensive Goalkeeper for a bit longer. But agree Emi looks better than Kepa.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 12:13

South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth

All clubs mentioned do have good keepers, Premier League on the whole is littered with goalkeeping talent. I think it's more about the keepers that might be moving on though. There is a high chance you'll see De Gea, Lloris and Kepa all leave their respective clubs in the summer break and they'll need replacing. Chelsea have been after Pope for a while, could easily see Schmeichel at United and Spurs need to replace Lloris who isn't up to it anymore.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jul 2020 12:13

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth

We will see in due course whether Arteta agrees with you and Seth but I suspect Leno will be back in as soon as he is fit.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 12:14

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth Could see the majority of clubs in the Premier league sniffing around him. Sheffield United will need a new keeper for one. But he could slot into so many teams across the Premier league. Its probably just Liverpool, City, United and Wolves who have better keepers (unless I'm forgetting someone obvious?)

All clubs mentioned do have good keepers, Premier League on the whole is littered with goalkeeping talent. I think it's more about the keepers that might be moving on though. There is a high chance you'll see De Gea, Lloris and Kepa all leave their respective clubs in the summer break and they'll need replacing. Chelsea have been after Pope for a while, could easily see Schmeichel at United and Spurs need to replace Lloris who isn't up to it anymore.

United have the perfect replacement out on loan at a team that is arguably better than them right now.