Great result. Came through against a good side really well. However

John Swift - hamstring, “quite some time out”
Felipe Araruna - under diagnosis
Lucas Joao - dislocated shoulder
Yakou Meite - cramp

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: BFT Cardiff iFollow

by John Madejski's Wallet » 26 Sep 2020 17:40

Enjoys that. The mix of possession, dribbling and long balls is very effective. Some more overplaying from Ejaria, hopefully the new manager will try and get that out of him.

The difference Joao and Meite make to this team is incredible. Shame Joao is made of papermache

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Sep 2020 18:00

Really impressive

Joao brilliant. The CBs very dominant. Love the Rino/Laurent base in midfield and more assists for Olise

To come to a tough Cardiff team, have the ref do us no favours whatsoever, pick up 3 in game injuries and still win relatively comfortably- really good signs

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 26 Sep 2020 18:01

Rafael solid as always, Araruna had some iffy moments defensively but good, Moore and Morrison composed. Omar Richards was excellent as was Olise, Joao and Rinomhota. Laurent looks more than adequate, Meite and Ejaria did ok but not at their best. Didn’t watch the last 20 minutes after Cardiff scored but Holmes looked alright too.

Decent performance all round.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Sep 2020 18:02

Sutekh Great result. Came through against a good side really well. However

Yakou Meite - cramp

Cramp - that’s not even an injury
Dislocated shoulder - That’s the equivalent of a paper cut based on the fact that Liam Moore doesn’t even come of the pitch when he does his

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Sep 2020 18:05

Nameless
Sutekh Great result. Came through against a good side really well. However

Yakou Meite - cramp

Cramp - that’s not even an injury
Dislocated shoulder - That’s the equivalent of a paper cut based on the fact that Liam Moore doesn’t even come of the pitch when he does his

Puscas only had a couple of games off with it last year as well I think?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Sep 2020 18:19

Richards is looking the part now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Sep 2020 18:27

With the injuries, bar Swift, we only have one more game until the 17th, so no major panic. Shows the need for another couple of bodies though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Sep 2020 18:27

We started slowly but gradually improved and you could see we had players that could hurt the opposition with some lovely link up play. We were outstanding in the second half. Totally on top and scored two lovely goals.
Just before Cardiff scored I sensed we had just switched off but we didn’t give them a sniff after that.
A terrific win

Rafael. 8 Great save from heavily deflected shot and as safe as houses throughout. Good distribution
Richards 6 Got beaten occasionally but overall fine
Araruna 6 Passing not always great but solid
Moore 9 Some cracking long balls forward. Superb defensively
Morrison 9 MoTM scored with a belting header. Superb in defence
Laurent 8 Really strong in the challenge. Passed well. Broke up play really well
Rinomhota 8 Worked really well alongside Laurent. Some cracking challenges
Ejaria 7 Did really well to win the free kick for the first goal. Some lovely dribbling
Olise 8 Great assists and showed some delightful touches
Meite 7 Nearly scored with a good header, nice nutmeg. Worked his heart out
Joao 9 Superb goal. Forced a fine save and always a threat. A cut above at this level

Holmes 7 Thought he acquitted himself well in an unfamiliar position
McIntyre 6 Couple of decent headed clearances.
Puscas 6 Defended from the front.
Last edited by Zip on 26 Sep 2020 18:52, edited 2 times in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Sep 2020 18:29

it has probably already been mentioned elsewhere but maybe worth repeating that it is first time for us to get 3 wins on the trot at the start of a league season since 1985.
In that season we not only went on to win our next 10 but got promoted as Champions and Cardiff was one of the teams that we beat.
This time I won't mind us drawing the 14th game.

He who dares Rodney.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Sep 2020 18:31

Stranded With the injuries, bar Swift, we only have one more game until the 17th, so no major panic. Shows the need for another couple of bodies though.

Live ones preferably. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Sep 2020 18:35

Very encouraging performance that.

Managed Cardiff's shithousery well, Joao's injury seemed an awkward fall and Araruna's not contact based. Bit slow to start but grew into it and looked the better side. Took our chances ruthlessly. I imagine we're significantly out performing our xGoals again. :roll:

Cabral - 9 some really smart saves and unlucky with their goal
Araruna - 6 lovely cross on him but struggled a bit and had some link up issues with Laurent, then the injury
Richards - 7 did well, growing into a cracking player
Morrison - 8 love this guy, just so reliable
Moore - 8 managed Moore quite well
Rinomhota - 7 noticed him a lot less than normal but consistently good
Laurent - 8 lovely work for Joao's goal, slightly sloppy occasionally, growing into the league
Meite - 8 he just causes a lot of problems, hilariously shit moments followed by great play
Ejaria - 7 ok, wassn't pulling the strings in the middle too brilliantly, hugely talented player but I want quicker play from him
Olise - 7 feel he was a little less effective on the left, but yet another goal contribution from him.
Joao - 9 one of his quieter games, but he's just too good. Long term injury would be devastating, he makes a huge difference. I reckon our record with him playing is phenomenal

Puscas - 7 did his job well
Holmes - 7 covered really well
McIntyre - N/A didn't really notice his involvement

You can't ask for more than three wins. Well you can, you can ask for a cup win and no injuries, but that's just stupidly greedy. Velcro's doing really well to hold us together.

I feared a lot when I heard he wants to play out, and saw how we started. But Joao and Meite offer us those long out balls which we are taking. And Laurent has given us a really solid base to build from and allow all those fancy attackers the chance to shine (not that that don't put their own shift in).

Squad quality is paper thin, but that paper is extremely high quality.

Actually, oxf*rd it, going to give Meite a 10 for managing to step over so many times he tripped himself in the box in the same game as nutmegging a guy so hard he just threw his hands in the air and watched Yaks run off towards goal. That was a very funny performance.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Sep 2020 18:53

South Coast Royal it has probably already been mentioned elsewhere but maybe worth repeating that it is first time for us to get 3 wins on the trot at the start of a league season since 1985.
In that season we not only went on to win our next 10 but got promoted as Champions and Cardiff was one of the teams that we beat.
This time I won't mind us drawing the 14th game.

He who dares Rodney.

I didn’t go to any of those first 13 in 85/6 but went to the fourteenth....we didn’t win. A 2-2 draw with Wolves. The only other game I saw that season was at Walsall where we got smashed 6-0.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Sep 2020 18:54

Derby- one off, freak result
Barnsley- 9 men, were second best for most of it bla bla
Cardiff- *sits up, takes notice*

I said some time back after the last time we beat Cardiff that we have a very very good team. I was proven to be utterly.... Wrong. As we then did crap under the rest of Gomes' time and generally under Bowen too. But the team is the same. As Morrison said this is a highly talented squad. They know it, Pauno knows it. Owners know it.

It's very hard not to get carried away the way we've been playing and the results we've been getting.

This could well be the start of something crazy.

Having said that... João getting injured (as we all knew would happen sooner or later) might well be the pin the bursts the bubble and erases all the momentum.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Sep 2020 18:58

Lee Tomlin must have more goals against us than anyone else. Was having flashbacks of the 2-2 at home which was the beginning of the end for Stam.

Scoreline flattered Cardiff in the end. Some great performances across the board and was nice to see Puscas working his bollocks off to help us see out the game.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Sep 2020 19:12

Is this the first match where the two number fours have the same name and have both played for Reading?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 26 Sep 2020 19:13

Good performance not getting carried away 9 points down 37 to go.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Sep 2020 19:29

linkenholtroyal Good performance not getting carried away 9 points down 37 to go.

37 what?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Sep 2020 19:34

windermereROYAL
linkenholtroyal Good performance not getting carried away 9 points down 37 to go.

37 what?

More points until we are safe

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Sep 2020 19:40

Uke Is this the first match where the two number fours have the same name and have both played for Reading?

I had a bit of a double take when my some said Morrison had scored. Which oxf*rd one!

173 posts