346 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by a James Harper debut

by Sutekh » 20 Oct 2020 21:54

When : Saturday, 24th October 2020, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And now banana skin number 2 hoves into view, Rotherham United.

This will not be easy blah, blah, blah, can’t just turn up and expect to win blah, blah, blah and all the other cliches we know are suitable for this situation. Basically the management need to do their homework and ensure the players are correctly organised and treat the opposition with the correct amount of respect then things should work out in a good way for Reading.

Rotherham have started the season not too badly for a promoted side that lots of people reckon will go straight back down again. Of the 6 games played to date Rotherham have won 1, drawn 3 and lost 2. Both the losses were at home by 1 goal to Millwall and Norwich while away from home the Millers are a different proposition altogether having won at Wycombe and drawn at Forest and Birmingham. All games have been very tight though with just a goal in either direction or all square so my expectation is for a well organised but mobile defensive unit to turn up and make it as difficult as possible for Reading to break through.

Rotherham do seem to have a weakness though in that they struggle to hang on; the game at Birmingham saw them fall to a 90th minute equalising penalty, at home to Huddersfield the Terriers equalised in the 96th minute and Norwich took all three points thanks to another penalty, this time in the 95th minute.

But, unfortunately, Reading are at home and after getting away with the largely turgid display against Wycombe you can see the likely problems that the league leaders (god that feels good) are going to have before a ball is even kicked. VP is going to have to pull all the man-motivational skills he has out of the magic hat for this one.

The Millers have some injury worries though with lively winger Chiedozie Ogbene out for a while and Clark Robertson out for 3/4 months after being injured against Norwich. In addition former Reading youngster Angus MacDonald misses out after picking up a 3 match ban also against Norwich. However Freddie Ladapo, Dan Barlaser and on the loan Florian Jozefzoon are all available.

Reading will have the usual long term absentees not available and after the Wycombe performance I would presume there will be a change or two to the team with Esteves starting at least.

Referee

Matthew Donahue

Previously

12 Feb 20 > Reading 1-2 West Brimwich Albion
11 Dec 19 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Historically

Reading have a good home record against Rotherham. In the 22 previous league games Rotherham have only won once (3-0 in May 1977) which leaves 14 victories for Reading and 7 draws.

Rotherham have managed just 2 goals in their last 9 visits but those goals were scored on their last 2 visits.

Reading have also won the last 4 of the last 5 played at home and, overall, have scored 34 times to Rotherham’s 15.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by a James Harper debut

by Royals and Racers » 20 Oct 2020 22:05

Moore seemed crocked at the end of the Wycombe game and must be a doubt.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Oct 2020 22:11

Sutekh In the 22 previous league games Rotherham have only won once (3-0 in May 1977)

Lolz, I was there. It relegated us.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Oct 2020 22:14

Royals and Racers Moore seemed crocked at the end of the Wycombe game and must be a doubt.

He had a blinder in the Wycombe game, but we do have match fit and quality back up, as well as Gibson too (I mean to suggest he's not match fit, that is all), so not too worried.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Oct 2020 22:26

Rotherham nailed on to win this one.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Oct 2020 22:30

CountryRoyal Rotherham nailed on to win this one.

I'm more concerned about free-scoring Blackburn tbh.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Oct 2020 22:31

CountryRoyal Rotherham nailed on to win this one.

Totally agree.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2020 22:34

No concerns if Moore is out, which I doubt. I'd have every faith in McIntyre or Holmes.

One change, Estevez in for Holmes.

Give Ejaria another chance. But tell him to up his tempo. Has he ever played a crisp first touch pass or first time cross in his career? If he doesn't improve then Semedo is ready and waiting.

Meite and Joao had poor games, but you know they score goals, so keep them playing.

We go again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Oct 2020 23:58

Another battle and another tough game. They haven’t lost away yet and haven’t conceded in the first half yet. May end up having to be another patient game

Rafael

Esteves
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota
Olise

Meite
Joao
Ejaria

Southwood
Gibson
Holmes
Tetek
Semedo
Aluko
Puscas

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2020 00:09

I feel we need to freshen up the team for this, rest Ejaria Meite and Laurent and bring in Puscas Aluko and Semedo. the new guy at RB is a given.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Oct 2020 00:58

I would not break up Laurent Rino unless we have to and I don’t think we do, I also would not want to start Semedo - doesn’t offer much for defensive stability.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 21 Oct 2020 01:35

Esteves in for Holmes. Holmes in for Moore if injured. Puscas for Meite.

A win would be great.

Bournemouth play Cardiff then Watford (6th)

Bristol (3rd) play Swansea (4th)

There's a very strong chance that 2nd place will be on 14/15 points come the end of Sunday. This league is all about getting the ball rolling (as in 2011/12), with Rotherham (6/18 pts), Blackburn (7/15), Coventry (5/18), and Preston (4/15) being our next four engagements 10-12 points would put us in a ridiculously strong position

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 08:19

CountryRoyal I would not break up Laurent Rino unless we have to and I don’t think we do, I also would not want to start Semedo - doesn’t offer much for defensive stability.

Harsh on Semedo considering he won 4 aerial duels and 2 tackles. Though he pressed really well. Perhaps Aluko would be better suited to the deeper role however? Has done very well defensively.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Oct 2020 10:20

I'm all for winning ugly and getting the job done, but it would be quite nice to see a performance and scoreline against a team expected to struggle which shows we mean business. A bit more energy and intensity on the ball than last night.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2020 10:31

Definitely bit concerned on Moore, that could easily be a broken foot. Guess we'll find out Saturday. And he has been absolutely superb this season

So for me I'd look at Gibson for Moore if he is crocked (better balance with MM imo than Holmes would be) and Esteves out right for Holmes. Same team otherwise

Lovely thing is we know we have players on the bench that can come on and see games out or alternatively give a different attacking set up - Aluko, Puscas and Semedo all look good and unlucky not to be starting.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Oct 2020 10:57

Moore has been great this season, but I'd actually back us to manage quite well if he's injured. Morrison can still lead from the back, and McIntyre and Gibson are good replacement options. Our squad has definitely moved from quantity to quality over the past 18 months or so.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2020 10:58

WestYorksRoyal Moore has been great this season, but I'd actually back us to manage quite well if he's injured. Morrison can still lead from the back, and McIntyre and Gibson are good replacement options. Our squad has definitely moved from quantity to quality over the past 18 months or so.

yeah I wouldnt be especially worried - we certainly have the back up. Be a shame for him though if he is crocked.

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 21 Oct 2020 11:32

Sutekh Referee

Matthew Donahue

Previously

12 Feb 20 > Reading 1-2 West Brimwich Albion
11 Dec 19 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Mister Donahue due a win for us?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2020 12:41

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal I would not break up Laurent Rino unless we have to and I don’t think we do, I also would not want to start Semedo - doesn’t offer much for defensive stability.

Harsh on Semedo considering he won 4 aerial duels and 2 tackles. Though he pressed really well. Perhaps Aluko would be better suited to the deeper role however? Has done very well defensively.

Get out. Now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2020 14:05

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Get out. Now.

Don’t be too harsh, Aluko has been playing a deeper role quite successfully for some time, left back in fact... on the bench, in the stand, at home, abroad etc.

346 posts