MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by a James Harper debut

346 posts
TiagoIlori

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by a James Harper debut

by TiagoIlori » 23 Oct 2020 22:01

Lower West
TiagoIlori
Snowflake Royal 16 points suggests not.

Yet in all of our last four games we’ve struggled to create many chances. If Joao was injured(which is relevant because he’s made out of glass) the table would be looking very very different.

But been defensively sound. A good platform to build on. Over the past few seasons we've conceded far too many soft goals.

This isn’t me commenting on our game as a whole saying we haven’t improved which would be a load of tosh, as it has been since Bowen came in we’ve certainly got a much better defence which Paunovic improved further as our players are much fitter this season. Well work out how to sort out the attacking side of our game eventually but let’s be honest, one fit John Swift would really improve how we are in front of goal.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 23 Oct 2020 22:05

Cant wait for this one, im actually going to watch some games tomorrow for once and support reading

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Oct 2020 22:10

Snowflake Royal No concerns if Moore is out, which I doubt. I'd have every faith in McIntyre or Holmes.

One change, Estevez in for Holmes.

Give Ejaria another chance. But tell him to up his tempo. Has he ever played a crisp first touch pass or first time cross in his career? If he doesn't improve then Semedo is ready and waiting.

Meite and Joao had poor games, but you know they score goals, so keep them playing.

We go again.

Commentator on the red button made a comment along the lines of “Ejaria, he does have a tendency to slow things down”.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Oct 2020 22:23

3points
Snowflake Royal No concerns if Moore is out, which I doubt. I'd have every faith in McIntyre or Holmes.

One change, Estevez in for Holmes.

Give Ejaria another chance. But tell him to up his tempo. Has he ever played a crisp first touch pass or first time cross in his career? If he doesn't improve then Semedo is ready and waiting.

Meite and Joao had poor games, but you know they score goals, so keep them playing.

We go again.

Commentator on the red button made a comment along the lines of “Ejaria, he does have a tendency to slow things down”.

So far this season Meite has one goal in five games, and a good header saved.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Oct 2020 22:27

From Despair To Where?
skipper
CountryRoyal Rotherham nailed on to win this one.

I'm more concerned about free-scoring Blackburn tbh.

They're not that good. Three quarters of their goals have come in 2 games against Wycombe and Derby. They have 1 goal and 1 point from their last 3 games.

Hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the arse.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Oct 2020 00:56

5 years ago today our season was pretty much ended in the space of 10 second half minutes. Let’s hope for an avoid this time around

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Oct 2020 01:01

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal I'm tempted by switching Olise and Ejaria again... I think they did it for Meite's first game back.

Olise is pretty good at running it forward, and there's a bit more room out wide. There's a bit less space to attack with teams packing midfield. Ejaria plays in tight little spaces anyway, and he'll rarely get his head down and run forward, or whip in a first time ball.

Agree with this. It would make more sense for me.

The fact that it makes so much sense yet we haven't really seen it happen is the puzzle. He even swapped Meite into the middle ahead of Ejaria during one game.

I wonder if it is to do with dominant feet? Right footed Ejaria on the left and left footed Olise and Meite on the right? Our wide forwards do tend to cut in rather than stay out wide so maybe it is deliberate from Pauno?

I have to say though, Olise is giving Meite a real challenge to start on the right hand side. He has looked very good in the wide position. Swift, despite looking poor again in the advanced role, coming back will probably provide us with the answer and I expect to see Semedo challenging for Ejarias spot at some point.

AMR - Meite/Olise
AMC - Swift/Olise/Semedo
AML - Ejaria/Semedo

Good to have competition eh? Also Aluko is clearly backup for all of those positions too.

I thought Semedo was supposed to be a holding midfielder, surprised to see him play so high up the pitch

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2020 06:49

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
Agree with this. It would make more sense for me.

The fact that it makes so much sense yet we haven't really seen it happen is the puzzle. He even swapped Meite into the middle ahead of Ejaria during one game.

I wonder if it is to do with dominant feet? Right footed Ejaria on the left and left footed Olise and Meite on the right? Our wide forwards do tend to cut in rather than stay out wide so maybe it is deliberate from Pauno?

I have to say though, Olise is giving Meite a real challenge to start on the right hand side. He has looked very good in the wide position. Swift, despite looking poor again in the advanced role, coming back will probably provide us with the answer and I expect to see Semedo challenging for Ejarias spot at some point.

AMR - Meite/Olise
AMC - Swift/Olise/Semedo
AML - Ejaria/Semedo

Good to have competition eh? Also Aluko is clearly backup for all of those positions too.

I thought Semedo was supposed to be a holding midfielder, surprised to see him play so high up the pitch

In Portuguese media Semedo has been described as Guinean-Bissau’s Pogba though probably more to do with his size than anything else. At the clubs has has played games for he’s been played in both forward and defensive midfield roles though believe Benfica tend to see him as more of a defensive player.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Oct 2020 10:54

Got a bad feeling about this one :cry:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Oct 2020 11:02

John Madejski's Wallet Got a bad feeling about this one :cry:

I know the feeling - keep waiting for the bubble to burst, myself!

But TBF Rotherham look very ordinary, so head says we'll be OK

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Oct 2020 11:32

I’m sure there’s a clever way of displaying it, but here’s how I’d prioritise our attacking midfield options. Pick three from the list, lowest number plays in the middle and the other two play wide.

1. Semedo
2. Swift
3. Aluko
4. Ejaria
5. Olise
6. Baldock
7. Meite

This isn’t selection order, just about who plays wide vs central. The higher the number, the more likely they are to be selected as a wide midfielder rather than a central midfielder.

So if we’re picking Aluko, Ejaria, and Olise, then I’d put Aluko centrally. If Meite came on for Aluko I’d move Ejaria inside.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 24 Oct 2020 12:33

I have only seen Semedo play once for about 20 minutes.Looks to me as if he could play CF;if Jao is injured.Dont we have enough attacking midfielders anyway ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2020 12:58

Rotherham have had three draws so may be tough to beat.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 24 Oct 2020 13:45

Think Rotherham have only played Forest, Birmingham and Wycombe- Rotherham were absolutely battered by Forest by the sound of it but they kept missing their chances. Fingers crossed it’s a sign they can be easily be beaten.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Oct 2020 13:47

TiagoIlori Think Rotherham have only played Forest, Birmingham and Wycombe- Rotherham were absolutely battered by Forest by the sound of it but they kept missing their chances. Fingers crossed it’s a sign they can be easily be beaten.

Strange to have played 3 times twice already at this stage.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 24 Oct 2020 13:49

CountryRoyal
TiagoIlori Think Rotherham have only played Forest, Birmingham and Wycombe- Rotherham were absolutely battered by Forest by the sound of it but they kept missing their chances. Fingers crossed it’s a sign they can be easily be beaten.

Strange to have played 3 times twice already at this stage.

:lol: whoops should’ve specified they were away games

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 24 Oct 2020 14:02

Joao injured again ??

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Oct 2020 14:02

Nope on bench. Semedo and Esteves in as well. Happy with the team

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 24 Oct 2020 14:05

Hound Nope on bench. Semedo and Esteves in as well. Happy with the team

I see !! Reading FC have Puscas playing and on bench :D

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Oct 2020 14:05

Any Nobbers who have chosen a non-starter may, if they desire, change their first scorer
prior to say, 2:45

346 posts