Hob Nob Addict

Re: BTFT - Blackburn

by Zammo » 28 Oct 2020 11:21

I'm a grown man and sat here, working away, grinning about that Joao finish :D

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Oct 2020 11:22

Old Man Andrews I'll never understand how we have managed to sign Esteves. The kid is going to play at the very top based upon what I have seen thus far. A couple of times last night I was worried about Blackburn break and BAM there is he to break up the play and keep a cool head and that was on both the left and right wings. He covers so much ground.

That might well be a big reason for our success. We have a young and very very fit team "of athletes" as they were saying last night on BBCRB.

This 18 year old was everywhere and reminds me of me when I was that age. Semedo was everywhere. Olise was everywhere. Joao - very Kitsonesque in that he was often in defence - everywhere. Richards bossing the entire left wing - everywhere, Rino everywhere, Meite is always everywhere.

How often have we heard oh look <insert any player here> is now playing at <insert any position>

It seems to be a kind of total football that can only work with this group of insanely fit and hardworking players. 4-3-3-? More like 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 4-3-3, all rolled into one whenever the situation calls for it. Teams can't handle this.

Teams will try their best, tire a little and then our boys will run all over the park and exhaust them. Blackburnn gave their all were totally outplayed. It wouldn't surprise me if they lose heavily next game after the runaround we gave them.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Oct 2020 11:26

Millsy
Old Man Andrews I'll never understand how we have managed to sign Esteves. The kid is going to play at the very top based upon what I have seen thus far. A couple of times last night I was worried about Blackburn break and BAM there is he to break up the play and keep a cool head and that was on both the left and right wings. He covers so much ground.

That might well be a big reason for our success. We have a young and very very fit team "of athletes" as they were saying last night on BBCRB.

This 18 year old was everywhere and reminds me of me when I was that age. Semedo was everywhere. Olise was everywhere. Joao - very Kitsonesque in that he was often in defence - everywhere. Richards bossing the entire left wing - everywhere, Rino everywhere, Meite is always everywhere.

How often have we heard oh look <insert any player here> is now playing at <insert any position>

It seems to be a kind of total football that can only work with this group of insanely fit and hardworking players. 4-3-3-? More like 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 4-3-3, all rolled into one whenever the situation calls for it. Teams can't handle this.

Teams will try their best, tire a little and then our boys will run all over the park and exhaust them. Blackburnn gave their all were totally outplayed. It wouldn't surprise me if they lose heavily next game after the runaround we gave them.

The only thing I'd argue with is whether they were 'totally outplayed'
Outmaneuvered, out-thought, certainly out-finished, but given the quotes about how dangerous they appeared at times I can't quite see them totally outplayed

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Oct 2020 11:34

Millsy

We actually finished the game yesterday with Semedo as our de facto forward player which highlights the versitality of this side.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Oct 2020 11:52

I thought he was outstanding last night. There was one moment last night, in final 10 minutes where he basically found himself up front lol.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 12:12

Him and Laurent are 2 of the best signings we've ever made

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Oct 2020 12:13

Yeh, was saying this last night. He could be playing for Barcelona in 5 years and regarded as the best RB in the world.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 12:16

The thing about Olise's showboating is it's usually safe.

When he does it in dangerous areas he's not usually under pressure and most of the time it's far enough up the pitch to be safe if he is under pressure.

And how many times has he lost the ball or cocked it up and it's led to a dangerous chance... almost never imo.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 12:39

Snowflake Royal The thing about Olise's showboating is it's usually safe.

When he does it in dangerous areas he's not usually under pressure and most of the time it's far enough up the pitch to be safe if he is under pressure.

And how many times has he lost the ball or cocked it up and it's led to a dangerous chance... almost never imo.

Yeah the only tiny exception was when he decided to drop between the centre backs and play an underhit pass to Rafael, but largely I agree with you.

I like to see it, it shows they're playing with confidence and freedom. Its a balance between letting them do their thing but not recklessly, and I think we're achieving that at the moment.

Also, how many times if he has lost the ball is the first person to sprint back down the pitch to win it back and defend? A lot. It's why its not just his ability and skill that make him such a good player, his work rate and desire is second to none.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Oct 2020 14:28

paddy20 Anyone think the forward line moved a lot quicker with some crisp inter passing? Ejaria tends to hold onto the ball and slow things down a lot. The pace up front was a big change.

Totally

And as I have said elsewhere, the team that started is, I believe, our best eleven.
I’m sure Ejaria will return, probably on Friday, but I definitely think we are more fluent without him

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Oct 2020 15:26

I absolutely love how exciting this team is, I really do get the 11/12 feeling for some reason at the moment purely because of how utterly ridiculous our form has been and how strong we are in the middle. The best bit out of all this is that we have heavily relied on young, exciting players who are only getting better, I absolutely love that. I think only four of the players that started last night are over 25 and they’re all in key positions where we really need experienced players.

I really hope we keep up a promotion push. Our recruitment since Gourlay went has been so much better. We didn’t do a Wolves and overhaul our squad in one summer, these are all players that we’ve picked up over the last four years and developed them into better players. Eyebrows were raised when we signed Alfa Semedo, Liam Moore and Ovie Ejaria(initial loan), people laughed at us for spending money on Joao. Full credit to the scouting team and the coaching staff for shutting everyone up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 15:31

TiagoIlori I absolutely love how exciting this team is, I really do get the 11/12 feeling for some reason at the moment purely because of how utterly ridiculous our form has been and how strong we are in the middle. The best bit out of all this is that we have heavily relied on young, exciting players who are only getting better, I absolutely love that. I think only four of the players that started last night are over 25 and they’re all in key positions where we really need experienced players.

I really hope we keep up a promotion push. Our recruitment since Gourlay went has been so much better. We didn’t do a Wolves and overhaul our squad in one summer, these are all players that we’ve picked up over the last four years and developed them into better players. Eyebrows were raised when we signed Alfa Semedo, Liam Moore and Ovie Ejaria(initial loan), people laughed at us for spending money on Joao. Full credit to the scouting team and the coaching staff for shutting everyone up.

said in another thread - only two of our starters last night cost a fee - at £6m combined.

PLus 3 academies (2 more on the bench)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Oct 2020 15:48

Franchise FC
Millsy

The only thing I'd argue with is whether they were 'totally outplayed'
Outmaneuvered, out-thought, certainly out-finished, but given the quotes about how dangerous they appeared at times I can't quite see them totally outplayed

Fair comment. They were good and posed a real threat. Highest scoring champ team for a reason.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Oct 2020 15:54

Unrelated question sorry guys. How does Laurent pronounce his name? He sounds quite English to me so isn't it just Lorrent instead of Loron?
Is that just a Dellorisation ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 15:58

Millsy Unrelated question sorry guys. How does Laurent pronounce his name? He sounds quite English to me so isn't it just Lorrent instead of Loron?

did wonder the same. He's from Leytonstone, not Paris. I'm guessing its 'Lorrent'

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 28 Oct 2020 16:06

As others have said, last night's game really showed what this team can do in an attacking sense.

Yes we got a fortunate start, but despite a quick leveller, we continued to create and stay on the front foot. We scored 4 with our 5 shots on target but we had a number of other promising attacking moments and it felt as though we could score every time we went forward.

The full backs in particular are a huge strength right now. Considering the loss of Yiadom and Obita - Holmes, Esteves and Richards have contributed enormously and have so much energy on the flanks and a willingness to take opponents on. Yet they always seem to know when to play it safe back to Morrison/ Moore and retain possession.

Joao just oozes class - the backheeled layoffs he consistently throws out are just quality (see first goal). Semedo is also quite a find - you'd never have backed him to get his foot to the ball first to set up Olise's goal, and the ball to set off Joao for the fourth was perfect. We must keep him fit and rotate with Puscas (Pauno has already worked this out).

Ejaria and Swift still to come back into this team - incredible.

To me we have the talent of the 05/06 team, and the work rate of the 11/12 team.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Oct 2020 16:15

Vicky Pollard As others have said, last night's game really showed what this team can do in an attacking sense.

Yes we got a fortunate start, but despite a quick leveller, we continued to create and stay on the front foot. We scored 4 with our 5 shots on target but we had a number of other promising attacking moments and it felt as though we could score every time we went forward.

The full backs in particular are a huge strength right now. Considering the loss of Yiadom and Obita - Holmes, Esteves and Richards have contributed enormously and have so much energy on the flanks and a willingness to take opponents on. Yet they always seem to know when to play it safe back to Morrison/ Moore and retain possession.

Joao just oozes class - the backheeled layoffs he consistently throws out are just quality (see first goal). Semedo is also quite a find - you'd never have backed him to get his foot to the ball first to set up Olise's goal, and the ball to set off Joao for the fourth was perfect. We must keep him fit and rotate with Puscas (Pauno has already worked this out).

Ejaria and Swift still to come back into this team - incredible.

To me we have the talent of the 05/06 team, and the work rate of the 11/12 team.

I think it's waaaaaay too early to think this group have the talent of 05/06 ...... give it until at least Christmas (oh wait, that's being cancelled isn't it)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2020 16:53

Hound
Millsy Unrelated question sorry guys. How does Laurent pronounce his name? He sounds quite English to me so isn't it just Lorrent instead of Loron?

did wonder the same. He's from Leytonstone, not Paris. I'm guessing its 'Lorrent'

I’ll just stick with Josh

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Oct 2020 16:54

He pronounces it without the vowels

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 28 Oct 2020 16:57

148 posts