BFTG BIrmingham.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG BIrmingham.

by windermereROYAL » 09 Dec 2020 23:45

Well that was right up there with dire performances we`ve come to expect from previous seasons, it`s a repeated theme against these opponents, they certainly are a bit of a jinx side only dropped 4 points in their last 7 visits here.
Hate to say it but if the injuries to Joao and Meite are has bad as feared I can`t see anything but a gradual drop down the table, thankfully it`s highly unlikely we will have a relegation fight this season.

Rafael, didn`t inspire confidence, it`s concerning how many goals he is conceding from outside the box. 5

Holmes 5
Morrison 5
Moore 5
Richards 6

Larrent 5
Rino 6
Ejaria 6
Olise 4

Joao 4
Meite 4.

Subs
Aluko 4
Esteves 4
Semedo 5

Not bothering with a MOTM because there wasn`t one.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG BIrmingham.

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2020 00:17

Really surprised you have Richards and Ejaria as our best two players, thought they were both pretty awful, got torn apart time and time again in the first half

Birmingham are a decent side away from home, yet we turned up like it was an easy stroll in the park. They played quick neat football between the lines, used their width well (alien concept for us I know), overlapped well with Ejaria and Meite constantly in the wrong positions. Probably the best all rounded team I’ve seen so far this season, albeit they were decent here last season too and ended up having a poor season

Rafael 6 - didn’t do anything wrong

Holmes 4 - his first touch is always so concentrated back inside, repeatedly just went back to Rafael. You’d normally accept it as he’s usually solid but was beaten too many times in the first half. Really stuck out as a CB playing at RB tonight which hasn’t been the case really before tonight. Surprised he came out for the second half to be honest
Morrison 6 - defended fine, wasn’t sure of how to utilise the ball against a team such as Birmingham
Moore 6 - again, defended well, painfully slow on the ball
Richards 4 - think it’s his first real poor performance of the season, poor crosses, poor passes, poor control, beaten too easily by Sanchez in the first half

Rinomhota 6 - wasn’t his best performance in the first half, felt the midfield was slightly too open, which is unusual. Good run and pass for the goal
Laurent 6 - gave the ball away a few too many times, but was probably the only player in the first half showing anything

Meite 5 - shocking first 60 minutes, left his man behind for their goal and repeatedly gave it away. Redeemed himself with his goal and getting their red card, albeit not sure of that decision
Olise 5 - was trying to force the issue but wasn’t paying off. Think he can consider himself slightly unlucky to be subbed off, but that wasn’t really down to how well he was playing
Ejaria 4 - not his game, pockets of space he usually plays in weren’t there against a compact side. Ended up picking the ball up from too deep, trying to force the issue from there and losing it time and time again. Didn’t offer Richards enough protection either. Not sure why he was on the pitch for as long as he was

Joao 4 - worst player on the night, didn’t bother pressing, gave it away time and time again, missed a good chance at the end and missed the penalty. Gets another point for doing well for our goal

Semedo 6 - offered a bit more energy and impetus
Esteves 4 - was the right sub to make but he was really poor. Didn’t help mind that his first contribution was doing a drag back with our CB’s split and them missing a 1 on 1 as a result
Aluko 5 - one decent cross (wonder what one of those are), but gave it away a couple of times too. Ran back a few times though

Special mention to Baldock for still being out there on the sidelines even with all 3 sub windows used. Collecting the ball when they were time wasting, was geeing up the team, and helped Meite off the pitch too. An intelligent guy on and off the pitch. I have reservations but hope he can take his chance if he gets it with Meite, Joao and Puscas all likely to be out

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Dec 2020 07:24

I dunno lads. Didnt think we were awful, just played out of the game. Birmingham played with intensity and quality in the first half. They did a good amount of shithousing, not a criticism, and played well enough second half. Soaked up the pressure we added in midfield.

Semedo did well I thought.

On the highlights I think it was a pen even though it was very soft. By the letter of the law I think it has to be given. You can't jump around a player and miss the ball and expect to get away with it. Harsh second yellow but I suppose the Ref may have been influence by the number of fouls Birmingham committed.

Replay of the Meite incident shows he doesn't touch Etheridge. He injured himself making sure he didn't touch him.

Second goal was probably offside so however bad Birmingham feel for the red card they shouldn't have had the second goal so it evened itself out.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Dec 2020 08:03

Pretty much agree with URZZZZ. Richards and Ejaria both had their worst games in a Reading shirt. Both were very poor. We started so negatively constantly passing sideways and backwards allowing Brum to take the initiative.

Can’t be bothered to say anything more. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt that deflated after the game. If all of our goalscorers are out then I can only see us dropping down the table. Such a shame after such a great start to the season but 8 points from our last 9 games is very poor.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Dec 2020 08:37

Just not good enough from too many players. Ejaria needs coaching on decision making. When to release the ball.

We need to pass quicker when we play teams sitting in. We also need width and use it more directly when we get the chance.

We are conceding too many goals from outside the box. Which implies there’s not enough midfield cover in those situations.

Not sure this team is ready for a promotion push. We’re still too mentally weak - we always struggle when we go a goal down and lack the creativity and ability to mix it up.

Not saying we won’t get there as the team is still developing. It’s just that next season we might have lost some of our best players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2020 08:43

Yep very disappointing and doubly so being as it was my first time at the ground for 9 months

Birmingham were excellent in the first half. Really stopped us playing and looked dangerous themselves. Second half they stopped playing, sat back and resorted to shithousing. They really were there for the taking as they actually didn't do it particularly well, giving up yellow cards, free kicks, a penalty and chances without us doing a great deal. No shots of their own in the second half. Really was a massive missed opportunity. First half couldn't understand why they were near the bottom, second half I could.

The Joao chance at the end looks every bit as good as it did in real time. You have to score that really. And obvs the penalty was woeful. He had a really poor game, and the hammy injury just adds to the misery. I'm guessing he was in the 'red zone' hence the laboured performance - but his head going down so much after the penalty was inexcusable - I'm sure thats what Pauno was referring to in his comments.

We were ok in the second half up to the Pen, but looked absolutely shot after that. No energy, no urgency. Particularly impressive to end up a game when you are 2-1 down with them having a man sent off to being basically 9 vs 10 with Semedo and Moore up front. Lesson learnt for Pauno to keep a sub in hand hopefully. Injuries to Meite and Joao are going to damage us badly.

6 Rafael, Laurent, Moore, Morrison, Semedo
5 Holmes, Rino, Meite (awful 1st half, good 2nd), Esteves
4 Ejaria, Olise, Joao, Richards

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Dec 2020 08:50

We were poor but we have to give Brum credit, I thought they were superb from the first minute and didn't let us settle at all for the first 25mins. Frustrating that in the 5 mins before their opener, it felt like we were coming into the games and turning the tide but it was a tidy finish, that was probably about the only place he could put the ball and score.

2nd was again a nice finish but would like to see exactly where Hogan was when Toral shot - he looked offside and was blocking Rafael's view of the ball so should have been flagged but couldn't tell if he was onside at the moment of the shot, if so then fair enough and a clever run to block the keepers view.

Second half - more urgency and improved and the Meite goal gave us confidence and we looked like we would get level but once the penalty was missed you could see that confidence evaporate. Still think that goes in, we win that.

Agree with the managers view that we still take conceding a goal too personally and almost can't handle it - I guess that comes from the fact we've had a few years where as soon as we concede we lose - hard to shake and until we do, we have to score first.

Big game Saturday to see how we react else you can see another losing run taking hold - if Joao and Meite are out then Baldock and Semedo can do a job and there is enough quality still in the 11 to win at QPR. My concern is if it is not going well, the bench will be something like

Southwood
Esteves
Aluko
Gibson
McIntyre
Tetek
Onen
Watson (or other Academy player)
Academy player

So literally one attacking player (Aluko) with any 1st team experience at all - not sure how VP could change it up personnel wise, which means change of formation the only real way to try and affect the game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Dec 2020 08:56

Hound Yep very disappointing and doubly so being as it was my first time at the ground for 9 months

Birmingham were excellent in the first half. Really stopped us playing and looked dangerous themselves. Second half they stopped playing, sat back and resorted to shithousing. They really were there for the taking as they actually didn't do it particularly well, giving up yellow cards, free kicks, a penalty and chances without us doing a great deal. No shots of their own in the second half. Really was a massive missed opportunity. First half couldn't understand why they were near the bottom, second half I could.

The Joao chance at the end looks every bit as good as it did in real time. You have to score that really. And obvs the penalty was woeful. He had a really poor game, and the hammy injury just adds to the misery. I'm guessing he was in the 'red zone' hence the laboured performance - but his head going down so much after the penalty was inexcusable - I'm sure thats what Pauno was referring to in his comments.

We were ok in the second half up to the Pen, but looked absolutely shot after that. No energy, no urgency. Particularly impressive to end up a game when you are 2-1 down with them having a man sent off to being basically 9 vs 10 with Semedo and Moore up front. Lesson learnt for Pauno to keep a sub in hand hopefully. Injuries to Meite and Joao are going to damage us badly.

6 Rafael, Laurent, Moore, Morrison, Semedo
5 Holmes, Rino, Meite (awful 1st half, good 2nd), Esteves
4 Ejaria, Olise, Joao, Richards

How late do you leave a sub in hand though? - Meite and Joao injured past the 90th minute and he was trying to push us forward to get back into the game - final sub window was used in the 83rd minute. If he did make a mistake it was not brining on Esteves and Semedo on at the same time rather than a couple of mins apart but that would be a harsh review.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2020 08:59

Stranded How late do you leave a sub in hand though? - Meite and Joao injured past the 90th minute and he was trying to push us forward to get back into the game - final sub window was used in the 83rd minute. If he did make a mistake it was not brining on Esteves and Semedo on at the same time rather than a couple of mins apart but that would be a harsh review.

yeah think thats the mistake there - bringing on Semedo and Esteves 2 mins apart. When you have 5 subs available and a tired looking team, you can't waste a sub window like that

tbh at the time I completely forgot about the 3 sub window. Was utterly confused as to why a sub didnt come on :oops:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 10 Dec 2020 09:00

Thought that was a classic championship away performance by Birmingham really which we were unable to combat.

Dump our most dangerous player, Olise, on his arse early on, tactics correct in hassling Ejaria to make mistakes, score two good goals then spend the rest of the game frustrating our somewhat ponderous attempts to get back into the game.

Tactical fouls, stand on the free kick to prevent it being taken quickly upsetting any rhythm or flow we might have (refs really must crack down on that practice.) I don't criticise Birmingham for doing it, most teams do it, including us in a similar position, but it must be a level playing field with bookings handed out.

Goalie taking an age to take spot kicks calculating that by the time the ref gets round to booking him the advantage will have been gained, again not criticising Birmingham for that as we do it as well in a similar position, it's up to refs to handle it better. I have seen refs booking goalies when it is first done, that must be the benchmark.

Other points: Although Olise was bullied out of that game a bit, is there actually any point taking him off at that stage, irrespective of Semedo doing quite well. Olise takes nearly all our set pieces and I find it disturbing that we don't have any other players who we can rely on to take an accurate set piece. That may change with the return of Swift of course and that can't come quickly enough.

At least Liam Moore was taken off free kick duties last night. I went to the Wigan away game last season when Swift was injured and they had Liam pass two free kicks into the wall from promising positions. He did exactly the same with a free kick he took against Forest. That must stop, just stop it, it's such a waste..

Obvious that Jaoa was going to miss that penalty, his set up was all wrong and the keeper was virtually on the penalty spot by the time he took it. Why not hit the corners with a low shot, at least it's got a chance of going in? I don't know why.

Finally, must praise that Birmingham left back, Christiansen? I think, a Danish international. He was brilliant and set the tone for the game very early on with his aggression. Omar would do well to look at a video of his performance and reflect on it.

The most disappointing aspect of last night was that our players were unable to match Birmingham's obvious determination and fight. I know games sometimes turn out like that and you can't put your finger on the reason but matching the other team's fight should really be the minimum requirement.

No doubt as the season pans out we will do the same to some teams as Birmingham did tonight and the championship has a habit of throwing up surprises and good unexpected excellent performances from lower to mid table teams. We've done it and will do it again but pretty deflated as a fan after that.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Dec 2020 09:04

All the opposition need do is play a high press. Tactically inept first half yet again. While the manager has many positive attributes. The lack of experience at this level is a nagging concern,

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2020 09:12

Lower West All the opposition need do is play a high press. Tactically inept first half yet again. While the manager has many positive attributes. The lack of experience at this level is a nagging concern,

The high press didnt really cause any problems. It was squeezing the midfield and giving no space there. They actually didnt press at all second half

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Dec 2020 09:17

Lower West All the opposition need do is play a high press. Tactically inept first half yet again. While the manager has many positive attributes. The lack of experience at this level is a nagging concern,

“Tactically inept” is an expression football fans use all the time when their team lose. What does it mean?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Dec 2020 09:32

Hound
Stranded How late do you leave a sub in hand though? - Meite and Joao injured past the 90th minute and he was trying to push us forward to get back into the game - final sub window was used in the 83rd minute. If he did make a mistake it was not brining on Esteves and Semedo on at the same time rather than a couple of mins apart but that would be a harsh review.

yeah think thats the mistake there - bringing on Semedo and Esteves 2 mins apart. When you have 5 subs available and a tired looking team, you can't waste a sub window like that

It is potentially a comment on the lack of options on the bench but again given how late the injuries happened 90th and 95th mins I would imagine in the game situation last night we would have already used the sub windows by then anyway.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Dec 2020 09:34

leon

“Tactically inept” is an expression football fans use all the time when their team lose. What does it mean?

It just means we didn't win, sometimes the other team just plays better - yesterday was a case in point.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Dec 2020 09:35

leon

Out thought. No plan B. First half 65% possession , no shots on target.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2020 09:42

Stranded
Hound

It is potentially a comment on the lack of options on the bench but again given how late the injuries happened 90th and 95th mins I would imagine in the game situation last night we would have already used the sub windows by then anyway.

yeah maybe

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2020 09:43

Lower West
leon

We definitely did have a plan b. We went basically 3 5 2 and put Meite CF. I'm not sure you make that change in the first 45, but did for the 2nd

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Dec 2020 10:01

Hound
Lower West
leon

We definitely did have a plan b. We went basically 3 5 2 and put Meite CF. I'm not sure you make that change in the first 45, but did for the 2nd

Agreed and we definitely went long ball a lot more.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Dec 2020 10:18

Hound

The high press didnt really cause any problems. It was squeezing the midfield and giving no space there. They actually didnt press at all second half

And there have been plenty of occasions where we’ve struggled against teams who didn’t press (last night was one of them), or where we’ve broken the press and found it easy to get at the defence.