BFTG West Brom

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG West Brom

by Sutekh » 02 Jan 2023 17:24

Result was as expected but a decent performance from the team with Lumley especially excelling. 4 points from the last 3 games is very decent though and I’d have taken if it had been offered beforehand. Ince, Bowen and Carey have done well to get this squad together and Ince has got something worth watching on the pitch but it’s games like this where you can see there’s a foundation of something but, due to the financial restrictions on the club, just not quite the quality when playing the better sides in the division.

But at the end of the day being 12th with 36 points, at this stage of the season, and being still on the fringes of the play offs, rather than involved in relegation, is something that is exceeding expectations. At least the next couple of league games aren’t against sides like WBA !

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG West Brom

by windermereROYAL » 02 Jan 2023 17:45

And still kids on twatter calling for Ince to go, I seriously despair sometimes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2023 18:03

Yeah no complaints really. Awful first 20 but once we got up to speed matched up well. Could have snatched a goal. Substitutions were good, shape was good. Lumley and Loum both excellent

We’re a limited side of course but stick to the task and could see how relieved they were at the end, with plenty of time wasting in the last 10

2 of the tougher games in Norwich and wba away out the way as well

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jan 2023 18:48

Battling performance after a dire ten mins. Had some good chances where on another day we sneak a point.

Man of match by country mile is Lumley. Good energy by Loum and thought Dann was decent once settled. Should of dealt with that cross for the winner.

Also, Dellors lates moan is ince ranting at players. Shut the oxf*rd up man. Just let it go. Good to see some fight and passion from the bloke although not his best game today.

Azeez, needs a run in team now. This boy has potential to be very good if remains injury free.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2023 19:35

I think Azeez might have an opportunity to play as one of the two strikers potentially, a little bit of pace might help us to stretch defences and of course he'd be able to run the channels. I just don't see Ince picking him over Meite, Joao or Long if he had the chance, not at this stage when we still need points in the season.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 02 Jan 2023 20:57

Just got back, a few things of note; they have a combi boiler as a mascot, I don’t know why they all turned on their mobilePhone flash lights on 57 minutes but it was really gimp.

Hendrick was awful awful awful. Lumley was outstanding. Subs made a difference.

Hundreds of West Brom fans gathered outside the directors entrance after the game to do a protest about something. Chants of being greedy.

Oh and if you are reading this, the Sam Ryder lookalike, with a top knot man bun and beard sitting near the bottom in the Reading end. Shouting pcunt at the top of your voice every few minutes impresses no one. There was lots of young children dotted around you, including my 10 year daughter who asked me what ‘Cnut’ means in the car on the way home :| thanks for that. Read the room ffs. You are old enough to know better.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Jan 2023 22:19

Well my prediction of a narrow defeat was correct. Thought we battled well after the first 20 min without ever really looking like we were going to score. I get Lumley time-wasting in a 2nd half when winning, but that was taking the piss a bit in the first half. Maybe he was trying to slow down the West Brom onslaught?

Not that I’ve seen much of us this season, but does 3-5-2 really bring the best out of our personnel? Meite is lost as a striker, both him and Ince are inside forwards. Our central midfield looked lost in the first half, although Loum improved. Was crying out for a Swift type of player ironically, we need someone who can pass and go forward.

I don’t understand why we start Carroll over Joao - I’d have it the other way round and use Carroll when we do get crosses into box. Problem is the use of wingbacks doesn’t lend itself to crossing the ball a great deal. Joao & Long to start for me, with Carroll coming on.

Feared the worst when I saw the centre backs starting, but thought McIntyre was decent throughout and Dann improved. Was impressed with Dike though & a great finish.

It’s not normal for the home support to outsing the away fans but they were loud and impressive.

Enjoyable day overall, was just pleasing to see us compete.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 02 Jan 2023 22:29

Just got back, a few things of note; they have a combi boiler as a mascot, I don’t know why they all turned on their mobilePhone flash lights on 57 minutes but it was really gimp.

Hendrick was awful awful awful. Lumley was outstanding. Subs made a difference.

Hundreds of West Brom fans gathered outside the directors entrance after the game to do a protest about something. Chants of being greedy.

Related. Don't know why that time, but the whole thing is Lai Out*, so ... err.

*there's some very odd accounting going on, with loans to and from old owners and related companies. Been a while since they went down, so bit of a cliff edge looming.

Anyway.

Battered for 20 minutes. One gr8 save by Lumley. We dragged ourselves back into it, created the odd chance. That said, suckered for their goal and didn't quite have it to create much in a more frantic final 10 minutes.

Lovely kebab and chicken tikka combo at the Vine.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2023 10:21

Notts Royal Well my prediction of a narrow defeat was correct. Thought we battled well after the first 20 min without ever really looking like we were going to score. I get Lumley time-wasting in a 2nd half when winning, but that was taking the piss a bit in the first half. Maybe he was trying to slow down the West Brom onslaught?

Exactly the latter point IMO. I suspect he would've gone down 'injured' during that onslaught, had he been given a credible opportunity (IIRC it used to happen a fair bit with Ady WIlliams in that situation!). A good tactic IMO.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Jan 2023 10:23

WB were very good. We were awful and grew into it. One moment of dodginess from Lumley aside (rushing out and failign to get the ball), he was superb. Fantastic to have a player who understands the flow of the game and timewastes appropriately.

Joao actually did alright when he came on. Loum was alright till he got a bit knackered.

How far we have come that we can go away to two top top teams and be disappointed when we don't get points.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2023 10:29

paultheroyal Battling performance after a dire ten mins. Had some good chances where on another day we sneak a point.

Man of match by country mile is Lumley. Good energy by Loum and thought Dann was decent once settled. Should of dealt with that cross for the winner.

Also, Dellors lates moan is ince ranting at players. Shut the oxf*rd up man. Just let it go. Good to see some fight and passion from the bloke although not his best game today.

I'm not a Dellor fan but IMO he, Ady W and Mick Gooding are spot on about T Ince's moaning. There is a time, place and players for it. Having a moan at young, inexperienced players in the manner that he sometime does is likely to be counter-productive. In a recent game he had a right go at MBengue and you could see the latter's head go down in response. In stark contrast, Hendrick then displayed the correct approach of a senior professional, went up to MBengue, put his arm around him and gave him some words of encouragement.

It should also be said that T Ince lacks the balls of his old man in that he seems to avoid dishing out stick to the older, bigger, more experienced pros in the team who are likely to return it with interest!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2023 10:34

Personally I don't get all the criticism that is thrown out about Hendrick and appearance record this season demonstrates that P Ince clearly doesn't agree with it either.

He is clearly being asked to do the dirty work of breaking up the opposition's game and protecting our defensive line. IMO he does that quietly and effectively. I suspect that as a player, he would love to be allowed the opportunity to push forwards more and try to be more creative but that could see us get some more thrashings against stronger opposition.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jan 2023 10:39

RoyalBlue
paultheroyal Battling performance after a dire ten mins. Had some good chances where on another day we sneak a point.

I'm not a Dellor fan but IMO he, Ady W and Mick Gooding are spot on about T Ince's moaning. There is a time, place and players for it. Having a moan at young, inexperienced players in the manner that he sometime does is likely to be counter-productive. In a recent game he had a right go at MBengue and you could see the latter's head go down in response. In stark contrast, Hendrick then displayed the correct approach of a senior professional, went up to MBengue, put his arm around him and gave him some words of encouragement.

It should also be said that T Ince lacks the balls of his old man in that he seems to avoid dishing out stick to the older, bigger, more experienced pros in the team who are likely to return it with interest!

The latter is just wrong ! I’ve seen Ince having a right go at Andy Carroll, not something you would do if you lacked balls ! He’s also exchanged views with the Tom’s at various times.
I think it is really hard to make any meaningful comments as an outsider. We don’t know the group dynamics, what happens in the dressing room or training ground or what has been said previously.
It’s also interesting that for ages people said we had too many players who looked like they didn’t care, not something you can say about Ince. Bit like SJM got endless criticism for selling off our best players and now Dai gets stick for not selling off our best players !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2023 10:43

Yeah ince seems popular enough with the other players, and our standards have gone up considerably since he joined. I don’t really think a lot of it

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 03 Jan 2023 11:58

Was an okay game to watch no one stood out except Loum and Lumley. We didn't didn't do enough to deserve a point. WBA did more than enough to get the 3. The game was exactly what it was, our 3rd game in 6 days with a few rotations but largely the same group playing.

On T Ince moaning is frustrating to watch as he does the exact thing he moans about. He does hog the ball a bit and does lose his fair share of possession. On the flip side - that what he has to do, he drives us forward and he has to take the risks to move us in dangerous positions. His fellow professionals will see this and probably know what he is like on and off the pitch. I am sure it is seen as a - you are better than this get a grip.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2023 12:05

Don't see much issue with Ince moaning, he's one of our experienced players in itself and has been one of our players where we can say that he leads by example as well on the field. Sometimes in football you do have top upset a few people to gauge a reaction, it's not always a nice and easy industry so got no issues with him having a go at somebody, even a youngster, if it's justified. At least it shows a bit of bite about the players.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2023 12:38

Nameless
RoyalBlue

The latter is just wrong ! I’ve seen Ince having a right go at Andy Carroll, not something you would do if you lacked balls ! He’s also exchanged views with the Tom’s at various times.
I think it is really hard to make any meaningful comments as an outsider. We don’t know the group dynamics, what happens in the dressing room or training ground or what has been said previously.
It’s also interesting that for ages people said we had too many players who looked like they didn’t care, not something you can say about Ince. Bit like SJM got endless criticism for selling off our best players and now Dai gets stick for not selling off our best players !

Agreed, he is happy to call anyone out and re Dellor going on about it again - the guy even said that he had spoken to a number of squad members off the record about it and not one of them had an issue and most actually saw it as a positive and a real bonus compared to the last few years where no-one said anything on the pitch.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Jan 2023 14:22

I almost knocked out a keeper who decided to have a go at me in a game. He never dared to criticse me again, but truth is I could've done better.

Whether we like it or not, results and performances speak for themselves.

What differentiates this team of Inces from almost every team we've had in the last few years is the fight they seem to be showing all game. Yes it mught rub some people up the wrong way but you need to break some eggs to make an omelette as they say.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jan 2023 16:07

Millsy WB were very good. We were awful and grew into it. One moment of dodginess from Lumley aside (rushing out and failign to get the ball), he was superb. Fantastic to have a player who understands the flow of the game and timewastes appropriately.

Joao actually did alright when he came on. Loum was alright till he got a bit knackered.

How far we have come that we can go away to two top top teams and be disappointed when we don't get points.

I'm 50/50 on that "dodginess" actually. It always looks bad when the keeper comes and doesn't get there (he wasn't the only one who didn't realise Rogic was that quick) but the reality is , had he not come out , Rogic would've been through on goal. As it was he was forced wide and had to cross the ball for a contested header which was a more difficult chance ultimately.

Joao did ok but one of the problems he has really is that we don't play through the lines. As a result he's being asked to contest and scrap for 50/50 balls and his main tactic is always to try and back into the defender, get him too tight and then turn him. That's ok if the ball is played to his feet but anywhere off the ground and he's just looking for fouls. If we're not going to adapt to suit him, then he needs to try to adapt to suit us (which he appears to be trying to do) or there's really no point in us keeping him in January because he's not going to be effective for us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Jan 2023 16:13

Vision
Millsy WB were very good. We were awful and grew into it. One moment of dodginess from Lumley aside (rushing out and failign to get the ball), he was superb. Fantastic to have a player who understands the flow of the game and timewastes appropriately.

I'm 50/50 on that "dodginess" actually. It always looks bad when the keeper comes and doesn't get there (he wasn't the only one who didn't realise Rogic was that quick) but the reality is , had he not come out , Rogic would've been through on goal. As it was he was forced wide and had to cross the ball for a contested header which was a more difficult chance ultimately.

Joao did ok but one of the problems he has really is that we don't play through the lines. As a result he's being asked to contest and scrap for 50/50 balls and his main tactic is always to try and back into the defender, get him too tight and then turn him. That's ok if the ball is played to his feet but anywhere off the ground and he's just looking for fouls. If we're not going to adapt to suit him, then he needs to try to adapt to suit us (which he appears to be trying to do) or there's really no point in us keeping him in January because he's not going to be effective for us.

True, he did push him wide and it wasn't his fault the defence were cut open yet again. Fair points about Joao.

We have Carroll who is great when we put crosses in - but we're rubbish at putting crosses in - almost all crosses are embarrassingly poor. And we have Joao he we seem not to use properly too. Long is great generally but has never been prolific. And Meite isn't as good as a striker, better coming in from wide as has been mentioned above.