Signings are not good enough

124 posts
Chicken Balti Pie
Location: Sleep pattern fcuked by watchin the English batsmen struggle....

by Chicken Balti Pie » 17 Jul 2006 21:43

YorkshireRoyal Not good enough? Talk about an understatement.

We may aswell have not bought anyone so far.

Thank you for that intellectual interlude

:roll:

Our two signings have improved the squad - end of.

Also don't underestimate the bonus of most signing new deals. We know the 1st eleven would compete to mid table level it has always been about squad enhancement than 1st team enhancement.

Rather be us than Watford or Sheff Utd.

Sam Tubber

by Sam Tubber » 17 Jul 2006 21:50

I don't think you've actually bought anyone have you YorkshireRoyal? Your statement sort of shows why that's probably a very good think too.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 17 Jul 2006 22:02

I would like to point out that wasn't me... Thanks.... And why do we have so many tosser fans....?

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 17 Jul 2006 22:35

If we sign Mensah & Whitehead then I'd be fairly happy.

Still feel we will be short upfront.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 Jul 2006 23:09

Hasn't taken long for all of our resident doom mongers to come out of the woodwork has it??

I can hear the echoes of last season already..... "we are going to plummet...." "prove you have ambition Mr Mad and spend £10M before the end of the August transfer window...." etc etc etc

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So, Coppell hasn't bought a "big" name for you to boast about in the playground..... so what?

As he said on Thursday night, he prefers to do his negotiating out of the papers and that the signings will come if they are right for the club.

And I for one TOTALLY trust the guy.

As Chicken Balti Pie has said, the 2 new signings have strengthened the squad, whilst the re-signing of key players (such as Convey and Doyle) appears to have gone pretty well un-noticed by the "experts" on here.

Mensah isn't going to happen, so if that is what you are judging success or failure by, then prepare to be dissapointed.

As for more strikers, I suspect that he is looking at at least one more, but has publically stated that he is happy with what he has got; why would he say that?

Man management and motivation is why.

How good will hearing THAT from your manager make our strikers feel (all of whom are "confidence" players)?

FFS people, get a grip, enjoy the sunshine and look forward to August 19th.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Jul 2006 01:09

BLUES & ROYAL I fear the worst whilst we buy players with no expirience under their belts!

As has already been mentioned, one of our signings has played in the last 2 World Cups including a semi final :?

Much of this thread beggars belief...............respect to those who've graced such garbage with a dignified response.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 18 Jul 2006 08:24

Woodcote Royal
BLUES & ROYAL I fear the worst whilst we buy players with no expirience under their belts!

As has already been mentioned, one of our signings has played in the last 2 World Cups including a semi final :?

Much of this thread beggars belief...............respect to those who've graced such garbage with a dignified response.

so speaks the great Oracle of Reading supporters!

Jay

by Jay » 18 Jul 2006 08:42

Mr Angry Hasn't taken long for all of our resident doom mongers to come out of the woodwork has it??

I can hear the echoes of last season already..... "we are going to plummet...." "prove you have ambition Mr Mad and spend £10M before the end of the August transfer window...." etc etc etc

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So, Coppell hasn't bought a "big" name for you to boast about in the playground..... so what?

As he said on Thursday night, he prefers to do his negotiating out of the papers and that the signings will come if they are right for the club.

And I for one TOTALLY trust the guy.

As Chicken Balti Pie has said, the 2 new signings have strengthened the squad, whilst the re-signing of key players (such as Convey and Doyle) appears to have gone pretty well un-noticed by the "experts" on here.

Mensah isn't going to happen, so if that is what you are judging success or failure by, then prepare to be dissapointed.

As for more strikers, I suspect that he is looking at at least one more, but has publically stated that he is happy with what he has got; why would he say that?

Man management and motivation is why.

How good will hearing THAT from your manager make our strikers feel (all of whom are "confidence" players)?

FFS people, get a grip, enjoy the sunshine and look forward to August 19th.

Superb post.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Jul 2006 10:23

Tilehurst Mike
Woodcote Royal

So speaks Steve Sidwell's mother.

Gregster

by Gregster » 18 Jul 2006 11:25

I'm happy with the progress of the new signings and the negotiation of the existing players contracts. I trust in Coppell and the team to make this work.

What does irk somewhat is that the letter with my new season ticket stated that Reading wish to remain in the top flight and that substantial investment is needed to do so. Ok, I figured that's fair and duly paid my £550.

With all things considered, if Watford, Sheffield, etc are all signing players relative to Readings so far, why are our season tickets so much more?

Ive got every faith in RFC to stay up but if the Managers plans were to do so with a team largely unchanged from last year, why the massive hike in prices? Coppell being the Manager he is would have had these plans in place a while ago and the expenditure would have been agreed.

Just something I find odd. A rise in prices for Premiership is understandable but the massive increase we suffered as existing ST holders I believed was to be for some big planned signings.

I'll probably get proved wrong when we sign some great players before the season starts......I say poach Cannavaro & Toni. Oh, and RFC can then put through an 'emergency' ST price increase to cover their wages :wink:

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 18 Jul 2006 11:32

Woodcote Royal
Tilehurst Mike
Woodcote Royal

So speaks someone who has probably watched more games and seen more Reading FC players over the years than you've had school dinners. 40+ years season ticket holder.

iPhil®

by iPhil® » 18 Jul 2006 11:35

Gregster I'm happy with the progress of the new signings and the negotiation of the existing players contracts. I trust in Coppell and the team to make this work.

What does irk somewhat is that the letter with my new season ticket stated that Reading wish to remain in the top flight and that substantial investment is needed to do so. Ok, I figured that's fair and duly paid my £550.

With all things considered, if Watford, Sheffield, etc are all signing players relative to Readings so far, why are our season tickets so much more?

Ive got every faith in RFC to stay up but if the Managers plans were to do so with a team largely unchanged from last year, why the massive hike in prices? Coppell being the Manager he is would have had these plans in place a while ago and the expenditure would have been agreed.

Just something I find odd. A rise in prices for Premiership is understandable but the massive increase we suffered as existing ST holders I believed was to be for some big planned signings.

I'll probably get proved wrong when we sign some great players before the season starts......I say poach Cannavaro & Toni. Oh, and RFC can then put through an 'emergency' ST price increase to cover their wages :wink:

You paid £550? You have a right to be irked. I only paid £545.

Gregster

by Gregster » 18 Jul 2006 11:36

I added a 1% tip for last seasons performance.

I felt that was sufficient. :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Jul 2006 11:37

Gregster I'm happy with the progress of the new signings and the negotiation of the existing players contracts. I trust in Coppell and the team to make this work.

Season ticket prices are only part of the income received for being in the Premiership.

Gregster

by Gregster » 18 Jul 2006 11:47

If we're going to include the Premiership royalties, etc., then the question still stands. If we weren't planning to increase the squad with new signings, why did the fans have to suffer such an increase in ticket prices when Sky, etc are providing a more substantial revenue stream to the club?

I can predict the usual 'you know nothing about the finances of the club' etc replies but am genuinely interested in what people think this extra revenue is to be spent on?

Or is it to replace monies spent securing our progress to the Premiership in the JM years. I have no problem if this is the case or if we are securing the clubs financial position but would have preferred an explanation along those lines.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 Jul 2006 11:48

Gregster I can predict the usual 'you know nothing about the finances of the club' etc replies but am genuinely interested in what people think this extra revenue is to be spent on?

Wages?

Gregster

by Gregster » 18 Jul 2006 11:52

Accepted. But would the increases to Premiership wages in their contracts really have swallowed the Sky revenues, sponsorship and ST price increases?

I see the statement of intent to remain in the Premiership to mean more than paying players more.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Jul 2006 11:52

Tilehurst Mike
Woodcote Royal
Tilehurst Mike
Woodcote Royal

So speaks someone who has probably watched more games and seen more Reading FC players over the years than you've had school dinners. 40+ years season ticket holder.

In which case, it's truely sad that you post so much cr@p.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Jul 2006 13:12

Gregster If we're going to include the Premiership royalties, etc., then the question still stands. If we weren't planning to increase the squad with new signings, why did the fans have to suffer such an increase in ticket prices when Sky, etc are providing a more substantial revenue stream to the club?

I can predict the usual 'you know nothing about the finances of the club' etc replies but am genuinely interested in what people think this extra revenue is to be spent on?

Or is it to replace monies spent securing our progress to the Premiership in the JM years. I have no problem if this is the case or if we are securing the clubs financial position but would have preferred an explanation along those lines.

The summer is not over yet and the transfer window is still open for quite some weeks.

Give the club a chance to spend the extra money. If we have only signed Seol and Sodge when the transfer window shuts then you might be able to ask those questions... We are not done yet and we have already spent more money on those two signings than we spent in last summers transfer budget!

We still got money to spend and shops to visit!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 18 Jul 2006 13:24

Gregster If we're going to include the Premiership royalties, etc., then the question still stands. If we weren't planning to increase the squad with new signings, why did the fans have to suffer such an increase in ticket prices when Sky, etc are providing a more substantial revenue stream to the club?

Firstly, the highlighted bit. It is ridiculous to suggest the club weren't "planning" to increase the squad with new signings; I understand that we were looking at players from January for the coming season. However, the fact of the matter is that some players (and their agents!) will need convincing that we will not be going straight back down.

The second issue is that Coppell is looking for a particular type of player, and if there aren't a glut of players of that ilk, then he isn't simply going to spend for the sake of it.

Third issue is where has the cash gone?

Increasing wages is one area, not only of the playing staff, but of everyone employed by the club - and quite right to. Another area is that there have had to be certain changes to the stadium (for example, the press area has to have TV's - a Premiership ruling) which were outlined in the documents given to RFC when our promotion was ratified a few weeks ago.

I have no idea if Mr Mad has decided to ease some of the debt burden with some of the cash received, but if he has, so what? Its his money and he can do what he likes with it - I know its been said countless times before, but he really doesn't have to do this, and for those people who think he should bankroll all of THEIR spending demands as fans is both unrealistic and unworkable.

If you don't think so, may I suggest you consider Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley et al.

124 posts