MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

by windermereROYAL » 31 Aug 2024 19:45

Enjoyed that, outstanding in the first half and strangely we could have been behind at HT, Charlton got on top for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half before we regained control.
I`ll call it now, if we keep this young group together all season we`ll be challenging the top 6.
Craig looks like he`s been playing RB all his career, Mbengue is a bloody monster. we are strong in all positions, Kelvin was quiet but their RB was useful, probably the best player in their side.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Aug 2024 19:49

windermereROYAL Enjoyed that, outstanding in the first half and strangely we could have been behind at HT, Charlton got on top for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half before we regained control.
I`ll call it now, if we keep this young group together all season we`ll be challenging the top 6.
Craig looks like he`s been playing RB all his career, Mbengue is a bloody monster. we are strong in all positions, Kelvin was quiet but their RB was useful, probably the best player in their side.
agree, and and a fair bit for a new owner to be excited about…’going forward’

Just need to shore-up the ‘bench players’ obvs

What could possibly go wrong from here?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2024 20:12

AthleticoSpizz
windermereROYAL Enjoyed that, outstanding in the first half and strangely we could have been behind at HT, Charlton got on top for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half before we regained control.

Don't know but sure there's 14 time zones worth of go wrong somewhere out there!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Aug 2024 20:14

Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz

Don't know but sure there's 14 time zones worth of go wrong somewhere out there!
…and they all have internet access :D

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 31 Aug 2024 21:10

I felt we had done our homework on Charlton a bit, today. Their tactic in the first half looked like it was to have nearly everyone defend, and then flick balls for the two quick lads up front to chase and make something happen. They'll get a lot of goals against the more physical sides doing that, something we struggle with.

I always think that when a team has their 15 minute spell of dominating and really pushing hard to score and they don't, it seems to really demoralise and fatigue them, which is what it felt like happened.

I notice as soon as they went 2 down, they took off the quick players, felt like they were choosing to basically forfeit the game to rest their faster players for the next match.

Thought our back line looked strong and well organised today. Second half, both teams playing neat, tidy football in the middle, that was refreshing, in this league.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Aug 2024 21:34

That went from the most boring first 60 minutes I've ever seen to a relatively entertaining end.

Terrific result, well done lads.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Aug 2024 21:40

have spent many, many, and many more boring 60 minutes at the Madstad and EP tbf

But yeah, it wasvworth the wait

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Aug 2024 21:42

Brogue Also how nice is it to have a decent keeper between the sticks. Lumley was ok button didn’t pull up any trees. Southwood meh. Rafael? He was alright to be fair but I think Pereira is better. I’d say he’s the best since Martinez 18/19.

Pereira is ok, wouldn't say he's amazing and has mistakes in him but considering he wasn't signed as our number one he's done a decent job between the sticks and has certainly improved. He's removed the need for a new goalkeeper which is only great for us as we keep costs down. I'd even say if we could I'd get rid of Button. CBC is good backup for this league.

I'd like to see him improve his physicality as a keeper and work on penalties particularly as he never gets near a pen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2024 22:55

skipper
Harrison Delbridge
Snowflake Royal Pereira made two absolutely top class saves in that game.

Savage bossed it.

Akande constant threat.

Mbengue everywhere.

No poor performances.

I take it that you were at the game?

I think he was sat close to me in 1st half

I was looking through the camera high in the middle of the East stand most of the game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Aug 2024 22:59

Standard Ian

….but you are our Ian

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Aug 2024 23:41

Royal_jimmy
Brogue
I'd like to see him improve his physicality as a keeper and work on penalties particularly as he never gets near a pen.

Apart from the 2 or 3 he`s saved in shoot outs obviously.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 01 Sep 2024 00:20

Assuming that everybody has seen Jones' rant after the game? Talk about venting your spleen. In fact, has he got any spleen left? The total opposite to Ruben after the Wrexham game. Which leads me on to the point that once the takeover is sorted, an extension to Ruben's contract is of the utmost importance. To have come through the adversity of the last months must surely be rewarded.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Sep 2024 01:19

He needs to do less charlie.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 01 Sep 2024 08:06

The thing I like about this squad the most is the sheer hidden gems we’ve found. Pereira never been a no 1 before, gets his chance and shines. Mbengue’s progression has been outstanding. Bindon has continued to impress too. Elliott and Savage seem to finally have found their feet at this level after promising youth careers. Craig and Akande being really clever academy pickups back in the day.

Couhig probably wouldn’t be able to support the club the way Dai initially did, but with a scouting network like ours, the club has the potential to be back to being what it once was.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Sep 2024 10:25

It was a strange game in some ways with so few chances created by either side.
Charlton let us play in the first half and it was a pleasure to watch but we didn't, for all the possession create anything.

In the second half Charlton had much more of the ball but we created 3 chances and scored from 2 of them after far less possession than in the first half.

Well played Perreira,for all our good work it could still have been 2-2 but for his brilliant saves.

As with the Wigan game, a warm day and much promise of our ground becoming a fortress again-long may it continue but we will have to toughen up a bit for away games if we are going to make an impression at the higher end of the table.

2 downers from yesterday, Dorsett continues to look out of position (not his fault as he is playing there because there is nobody else and we don't want a right-footer there)and Kelvin didn't do much, otherwise top performances all round.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 01 Sep 2024 10:47

The attendance yesterday was 14,778 with 2,684 away fans, so a very similar home crowd to the Wigan game.

Delboy

by Delboy » 01 Sep 2024 11:11

What was all the police activity after 5th game sirens and police cars everywhere

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 01 Sep 2024 11:36

I was interested how far out Charlie Savage was when he scored that cracking goal- watched ITV 4 programme and paused at impact and using the pitch markings and cut of the grass i make it 29 yds.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Sep 2024 11:45

Clyde1998 The attendance yesterday was 14,778 with 2,684 away fans, so a very similar home crowd to the Wigan game.

We were doing better at the back end of last season. I wonder how many are staying away out of frustration that Dai is still our owner. Get the takeover done and continue our decent start and we can be pushing 15k home fans most weeks (so 16k - 17k) overall depending upon away attendance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2024 12:16

WestYorksRoyal
Clyde1998 The attendance yesterday was 14,778 with 2,684 away fans, so a very similar home crowd to the Wigan game.

We were doing better at the back end of last season. I wonder how many are staying away out of frustration that Dai is still our owner. Get the takeover done and continue our decent start and we can be pushing 15k home fans most weeks (so 16k - 17k) overall depending upon away attendance.

August is never a good month for attendances. Holidays and what not.