MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a)

360 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2022 12:18

Jackson Corner I really thought he had turned the corner at the start of the season. But the last few games Tom Holmes does not look good enough to play at this level.

Still think he's been consistently our best centreback. Less good in the last couple but at fault for very little. Perfectly good enough.

We've struggled in the last three games in midfield and tactics, not at centreback.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2022 12:21

Silver Fox
Millsy Let's not wet our beds too much guys..

You must be new here?

So, is nobody doing a BFTG thread any more?

People would much rather complain about who starts it than contribute to it, so no.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Oct 2022 12:31

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
Millsy Let's not wet our beds too much guys..

You must be new here?

People would much rather complain about who starts it than contribute to it, so no.

So you have to search through the in game chat? That's a great plan

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2022 12:42

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
You must be new here?

You could always try starting one.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Oct 2022 12:48

John Smith Why is nobody talking about the stonewall penalty not given to us in injury time? One of the most despicable refereeing decisions go against us since similar at Millwall in 2017

Good point, well made. Most obvious penalty ever. Taken right out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Oct 2022 12:53

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
You must be new here?

Yes it's bollocks. I thought we'd started it up again, but tbf it shouldn't fall to Ian all the time to do, even though I appreciate the detail he puts into it. Screw it, I'll do an Aunt Sally.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Oct 2022 13:02

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal People would much rather complain about who starts it than contribute to it, so no.

If I'd been, or even managed to watch the whole thing on the red button I might have done. Although even when I do go to a game (home games in the main) I'd like to think someone would be ahead of me and starting one while I'm having some beers. I'm not really a post from the bus kind of bloke

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Oct 2022 13:20

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox

If I'd been, or even managed to watch the whole thing on the red button I might have done. Although even when I do go to a game (home games in the main) I'd like to think someone would be ahead of me and starting one while I'm having some beers. I'm not really a post from the bus kind of bloke

Don't worry, not everyone is in a position to or has the will to stick their necks out with a new thread that's cool.

under the tin

by under the tin » 19 Oct 2022 13:53

It was the Joao substitution that baffled me most.
Both our goals were as a consequence of quick counter attacks.
When you're playing against a practiced possession-based opponent, if you're careless with your own possession, you might not see the ball for another ten minutes (copyright S Coppell).
Surely when you can see that you can't match up against their system, you try something different to knock them out of their stride.
Swans were getting stronger and stronger, we got pushed further and further back.
OK, make a sub, gaffer.
You have someone on the bench whose trademark is chasing lost causes, harrying defenders, trying to regain possession and disrupting opposition rhythm further up the pitch.
No.
He put Joao on.
I'm no Joao hater, but surely, horses for courses?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Oct 2022 14:01

under the tin It was the Joao substitution that baffled me most.
When you're playing against a practiced possession-based opponent, if you're careless with your own possession, you might not see the ball for another ten minutes (copyright S Coppell).
Surely when you can see that you can't match up against their system, you try something different to knock them out of their stride.
Swans were getting stronger and stronger, we got pushed further and further back.
OK, make a sub, gaffer.
You have someone on the bench whose trademark is chasing lost causes, harrying defenders, trying to regain possession and disrupting opposition rhythm further up the pitch.
No.
He put Joao on.

There is an argument to say that Joao, with more space in and around him with Carroll and Ince there, would do a better job at holding the ball, bringing others into play and therefore protecting possession. Joao is also a notoriously better finisher than Long and, even though Joao did miss that late chance, you'd put money on Joao scoring over Long you'd feel and that's with Joao not exactly firing on all cylinders this season either.

I do actually agree that we maybe should have used Long, but I can understand using Joao as well, it just didn't work.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Oct 2022 14:18

Joao did fine when he came on. I dont think any other player would have done any better to be honest. Long would have chased harder but you need players behind you doing the same for it to be effective.
It was clearly the mangers instruction not to bother pressing them so Joao was the right sub - wrong player came off though.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2022 14:18

Nothing to do with last night's game, but still.... worth sharing:

Weird fact - Coventry who are bottom, have lost 2 fewer games than Blackburn who are top.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2022 15:29

Royal Rother Nothing to do with last night's game, but still.... worth sharing:

Weird fact - Coventry who are bottom, have lost 2 fewer games than Blackburn who are top.

It is weird, but tbf Cov have played 5 less games than them

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Oct 2022 16:41

Just on the two centre-back Toms should we now stop talking of them as being inexperienced?
They have had 70 or 80 senior appearances each now so perhaps we shouldn't post about them needing experienced defenders alongside them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2022 17:38

South Coast Royal Just on the two centre-back Toms should we now stop talking of them as being inexperienced?
They have had 70 or 80 senior appearances each now so perhaps we shouldn't post about them needing experienced defenders alongside them.

McIntyre only has about 50 starts and they're spread over about 5 seasons... He's never started 20+ games in a season...

Holmes has over 70 starts and has made 20+ in a season twice.

I think safe to say Holmes is moving into experienced, and his performance this season reflects that, whilst McIntyre is still a little way off, and his performances are still a little way off. He's also probably been used less consistently and has had more injury issues affecting his transition.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2022 20:12

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
You must be new here?

Happy to do a BFTG thread for home games. Don't go to away games so up to someone else to do those.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2022 20:17

Millsy
Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal People would much rather complain about who starts it than contribute to it, so no.

Yes it's bollocks. I thought we'd started it up again, but tbf it shouldn't fall to Ian all the time to do, even though I appreciate the detail he puts into it. Screw it, I'll do an Aunt Sally.

It doesn't fall on Ian. I start BFTG threads for home games if no one else has. By the time I get home someone has already started one.
I have previously said I will start a BFTG thread for home matches if agreed by others on here.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Oct 2022 21:35

YorkshireRoyal99
under the tin It was the Joao substitution that baffled me most.
OK, make a sub, gaffer.
No.
He put Joao on.

There is an argument to say that Joao, with more space in and around him with Carroll and Ince there, would do a better job at holding the ball, bringing others into play and therefore protecting possession. Joao is also a notoriously better finisher than Long and, even though Joao did miss that late chance, you'd put money on Joao scoring over Long you'd feel and that's with Joao not exactly firing on all cylinders this season either.

I do actually agree that we maybe should have used Long, but I can understand using Joao as well, it just didn't work.

Thing about long is he plays high up the pitch and I think draws us out more and we don't drop so deep. João and Carroll and indeed Meite tend to get drawn deeper into our half and we must never find a way out. I think Long also pressures better, he is like a terrier that never gives up and makes a nuisance of himself to the opposition. Grossly underused in the last 2 games when fit.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Oct 2022 22:54

Zip
Millsy
Silver Fox

It doesn't fall on Ian. I start BFTG threads for home games if no one else has. By the time I get home someone has already started one.
I have previously said I will start a BFTG thread for home matches if agreed by others on here.

Sorry mate yes of course you do and it's much appreciated. I was just using Ian as an example because he was replying about it and he does a nice job too. Much better than I do (which to be fair isn't saying much).

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 Oct 2022 08:40

Regarding the BFTG threads, what if when team news is announced someone puts up a template BFTG post which is simply a list of the 11 players.

After the game people can then simply quote that post (adding in subs) then add their scores and comments?

Might make it a bit easier and encourage people to comment

360 posts