Snowball Apparently booing drove Elwood out of QPR

He's played 3 times for us and we've conceded 0-0-1

Who is Elwood? Never heard of him.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The effect of a large support

by Top Flight » 21 Dec 2010 17:15

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Top Flight The fans need to get on peoples backs in order to expose these mental flaws in some players to the manager, so that the boss can ship those ones out.

Sometimes I'm lost for words. There's some abject ignorant stupidity on the team board from time to time, but that's just raised the bar.

Normally, I'm considered to be one of the team boards intellects.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Dec 2010 17:16

No Fixed Abode
Snowball Apparently booing drove Elwood out of QPR

He's played 3 times for us and we've conceded 0-0-1

Who is Elwood? Never heard of him.

You know who it is.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Dec 2010 17:30

No, no I don't.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Dec 2010 17:32

No Fixed Abode No, no I don't.

It's Mikele Liegertwood innit.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 21 Dec 2010 17:55

Top Flight
Top Flight The fans need to get on peoples backs in order to expose these mental flaws in some players to the manager, so that the boss can ship those ones out.

Sometimes I'm lost for words. There's some abject ignorant stupidity on the team board from time to time, but that's just raised the bar.

Grumpy is normally considered to be one of the taller seven dwarfs.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 21 Dec 2010 17:57

Top Flight
Rev Algenon Stickleback H Sometimes I'm lost for words. There's some abject ignorant stupidity on the team board from time to time, but that's just raised the bar.

Grumpy is normally considered to be one of the taller seven dwarfs.

:lol:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Dec 2010 16:31

weybridgewanderer So much discussion on here previously about the importance of the fans getting behind the team and the "volume" of singing

So, how come we won on saturday?

Perhaps silence is what's required to improve concentration - Seems to work well with Tennis, Snooker and Darts.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 22 Dec 2010 16:55

What? Booing doesn't help?

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 27 Dec 2010 15:42

People say the fans do not make enough noise. I say we should embrace this fact. So what if we do not make enough noise or cheer consistently for 90 mins? Let's face it, in terms of the size of our fanbase, we will never be able to compare to Man Utd or Chelsea and in terms of the making of noise, we will never be ass loud as Liverpool or Stoke. Why not LOVE this fact that we do not sing? Sometimes, people like to watch the match in silence instead of shouting at the top of their lungs for 90 mins and only catching glimpses of the game.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Dec 2010 19:49

Royal_Delight People say the fans do not make enough noise. I say we should embrace this fact. So what if we do not make enough noise or cheer consistently for 90 mins? Let's face it, in terms of the size of our fanbase, we will never be able to compare to Man Utd or Chelsea and in terms of the making of noise, we will never be ass loud as Liverpool or Stoke. Why not LOVE this fact that we do not sing? Sometimes, people like to watch the match in silence instead of shouting at the top of their lungs for 90 mins and only catching glimpses of the game.

Being noisy isn't about the numbers. It's about passion for being at the game, and getting into it. Too many of our fans sit back and just spectate, only getting animated in the more intense moments. There's nothing wrong with supporting that way. Even in the over-romaticised Elm Park days, the majority of fans were like that. For whatever reason, it just seems that at the Madejski a higher majority are like that, and it takes a real spark to get us going.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Dec 2010 20:17

Royal_Delight People say the fans do not make enough noise. I say we should embrace this fact. So what if we do not make enough noise or cheer consistently for 90 mins? Let's face it, in terms of the size of our fanbase, we will never be able to compare to Man Utd or Chelsea and in terms of the making of noise, we will never be ass loud as Liverpool or Stoke. Why not LOVE this fact that we do not sing? Sometimes, people like to watch the match in silence instead of shouting at the top of their lungs for 90 mins and only catching glimpses of the game.

Being noisy isn't about the numbers. It's about passion for being at the game, and getting into it. Too many of our fans sit back and just spectate, only getting animated in the more intense moments. There's nothing wrong with supporting that way. Even in the over-romaticised Elm Park days, the majority of fans were like that. For whatever reason, it just seems that at the Madejski a higher majority are like that, and it takes a real spark to get us going.

Agree, still think way round this would be to have a designated area for the more 'passionate' supporters to allow them to sit together with a view to creating more consistent noise.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 27 Dec 2010 20:19

I agree with these comments. I look around and see the vast majority (almost everybody in fact) of people not clapping, not singing, not cheering, not even shouting at the ref and wonder whether they're more suited to the theatre! For about 2 minutes yesterday the fans got going and it reminded me of the Wigan play-off semi-final. That was ten years ago, though. If we could muster that sort of support/noise for longer periods and in every match we'd be a more succesful team as it must lift the players.

In short, I hate to say it but I do believe that our (home) support is cr@p.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Dec 2010 20:38

loyalroyal4life Agree, still think way round this would be to have a designated area for the more 'passionate' supporters to allow them to sit together with a view to creating more consistent noise.

How though?

Do you wire fans up to heart and decibel monitors to make sure they excited enough?

Do you have an official ticket office goose, and refuse a "passionate area" ticket to any fan who won't say "boo" to it?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Dec 2010 23:02

loyalroyal4life Agree, still think way round this would be to have a designated area for the more 'passionate' supporters to allow them to sit together with a view to creating more consistent noise.

How though?

Do you wire fans up to heart and decibel monitors to make sure they excited enough?

Do you have an official ticket office goose, and refuse a "passionate area" ticket to any fan who won't say "boo" to it?

Of course It is easier said than done but put simply having families up top of y26 where there is consistent swearing/bad language is not the way forward.

Just have designated area where it is highlighted the aim is to generate as much noise as possible throughout each game and so fans who would like to be involved in working towards this consider to have your ST within these areas!

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 27 Dec 2010 23:10

loyalroyal4life having families up top of y26 where there is consistent swearing/bad language is not the way forward.

I take it you've never visited a labour ward then?

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 28 Dec 2010 09:01

i think also the effect of stewarding dont help, places like arsenal united and chelski ok yes they got vocal support but thats because they are left alone to stand and sing and get behind the team

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 28 Dec 2010 09:48

we are back onto thwe need to generate noise

i am not disagreeing that booing destroys confidence

the point of starting the thread was we had our 1st win in 5 when we had one of our smallest ever away supports

do people really believe that cheering the team on makes a difference?

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 28 Dec 2010 10:05

weybridgewanderer the point of starting the thread was we had our 1st win in 5 when we had one of our smallest ever away supports

do people really believe that cheering the team on makes a difference?

Yes. It helps.

It's just that some people seem to understand the difference between helping and being necessary.

After all, sometimes we win games when we only have 10 men on the pitch, or win when the team is ravaged by injuries. I remember us winning at Derby in 94/95 when we had no strikers, and played with Scott Taylor and Michael Gilkes up front. Should we be asking if having 11 men helps, or whether it makes a difference if you have a full-strength team?