Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

250 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

by andrew1957 » 28 Jan 2012 18:57

I am surprised by some of the negativity. Last weeks game was awful but I enjoyed today. Thought Bristol came and played attacking football - something Hull did not do as they seemed happy to play for a dull 0-0 draw. Bristol on the other hand can count themselves unlucky and don't forget they have done the double over Southampton this season, so they are not that bad and will rise up the table under the new manager. Good game IMO.

Roberts added a touch of class up front. I was surprised that he kept going for 77 minutes and he was much quicker than I expected. Impressed.

Antionio also had a very good game - most on here just slagged him off last week, but he obviously just needs games.

Fed 6 - a couple of great saves
Cummings 8 - excellent today
Pearce 7 - Did everything needed
Gorkks – 7 - as above
Griffin 7 - always feel more confident when he is in defence
McAnuff - 7 - a slow start but improved as game went on.
Karacan - 7 - cannot fault his effort but he and Tabb looked a bit overwhelmed when outnumbered in the first half
Tabb - 6 - as above really but not as much class as Karacan
Antonio - 8 - so much better today. Harried and hassled and some really good crosses.
Hunt - 6 - usual Hunty – harried and hassled
Roberts - 8 – MOTM so good to have a popper CF up front

Church - 5 - he nearly had a shot today
Cywka - 6 - impressive cameo performance

royal-ross

by royal-ross » 28 Jan 2012 18:58

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Jan 2012 18:59

andrew1957 I am surprised by some of the negativity. Last weeks game was awful but I enjoyed today. Thought Bristol came and played attacking football - something Hull did not do as they seemed happy to play for a dull 0-0 draw. Bristol on the other hand can count themselves unlucky and don't forget they have done the double over Southampton this season, so they are not that bad and will rise up the table under the new manager. Good game IMO.

Roberts added a touch of class up front. I was surprised that he kept going for 77 minutes and he was much quicker than I expected. Impressed.

Antionio also had a very good game - most on here just slagged him off last week, but he obviously just needs games.

Fed 6 - a couple of great saves
Cummings 8 - excellent today
Pearce 7 - Did everything needed
Gorkks – 7 - as above
Griffin 7 - always feel more confident when he is in defence
McAnuff - 7 - a slow start but improved as game went on.
Karacan - 7 - cannot fault his effort but he and Tabb looked a bit overwhelmed when outnumbered in the first half
Tabb - 6 - as above really but not as much class as Karacan
Antonio - 8 - so much better today. Harried and hassled and some really good crosses.
Hunt - 6 - usual Hunty – harried and hassled
Roberts - 8 – MOTM so good to have a popper CF up front

Church - 5 - he nearly had a shot today
Cywka - 6 - impressive cameo performance

Griffin a 7? You must be off your nut! :lol: He was bloody awful. I like the fact he tries to get forward more than Cummings but every time he did he got massively caught out once they got the ball back. Cummings looks WAY better IMO & was bloody good today too.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Jan 2012 19:02

MmmMonsterMunch
Griffin a 7? You must be off your nut! :lol: He was bloody awful. I like the fact he tries to get forward more than Cummings but every time he did he got massively caught out once they got the ball back. Cummings looks WAY better IMO & was bloody good today too.

Strange how many times we keep a clean sheet when Griffin plays!

Forty

by Forty » 28 Jan 2012 19:04

SCIAG
Karacan 6- anonymous.

I believe the word is oxymoron.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Jan 2012 19:09

andrew1957
MmmMonsterMunch

Strange how many times we keep a clean sheet when Griffin plays!

I don't think it has anything to do with him. Particularly given he is playing LB. Harte > Griffin @ LB for me especially taking into account pens & set pieces. Bristol City can count themselves very unlucky today - they deserved a draw. We were pretty gash.

Out of interest did Harte have a knock or something?

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 28 Jan 2012 19:15

Oh and where was our multi million pound Rusky signing Kebe today.......... again?

Didn't fancy it?

A bit coldwas it?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Jan 2012 19:16

It's certainly worrying when NO-ONE appears able to score a bloody penalty these days. I knew Roberts wouldn't score his, because he did that silly little run and stop thing - he's beefy and strong - just bloody whack it man! Glad for him that he scored on the follow up though.

McAnuff's pen looked a bit soft too. (Not to mention that no way should it have been a pen in the first place! Tomasz tripped over his own feet! But sometimes you need the luck and we got it today).

Thought Antonio had some nice play - tired a bit second half.

I think Roberts and Tomasz are a great addition to the team - but to be honest, we need to be all round better than this if we want to get promotion either this year or next year, as mooted by SJM. I'd have played ALF up front with Roberts for a start - and I hope McD considers this pairing next week.

All in all, it was pretty dire to be honest - our fans were very quiet from the off, not sure why.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Jan 2012 19:17

grey_squirrel Oh and where was our multi million pound Rusky signing Kebe today.......... again?

Didn't fancy it?

A bit coldwas it?

:roll:
Injured wasn't he? McD said he hopes he'll be fit for Donny.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 28 Jan 2012 19:18

Roberts was the only highlight of the game for me he looked a level above the others on the pitch.

We need to change our tactics to much hoof ball with another 0-0 at half time no surprise.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Jan 2012 19:18

Royal Lady It's certainly worrying when NO-ONE appears able to score a bloody penalty these days. I knew Roberts wouldn't score his, because he did that silly little run and stop thing - he's beefy and strong - just bloody whack it man! Glad for him that he scored on the follow up though.

McAnuff's pen looked a bit soft too. (Not to mention that no way should it have been a pen in the first place! Tomasz tripped over his own feet! But sometimes you need the luck and we got it today).

Thought Antonio had some nice play - tired a bit second half.

I think Roberts and Tomasz are a great addition to the team - but to be honest, we need to be all round better than this if we want to get promotion either this year or next year, as mooted by SJM. I'd have played ALF up front with Roberts for a start - and I hope McD considers this pairing next week.

All in all, it was pretty dire to be honest - our fans were very quiet from the off, not sure why.

RL have you seen the TV replays of the pen? 2nd one is stonewall although I completely agree it looked soft when watching it live.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Jan 2012 19:19

:oops: No not seen TV replay - was going by what I saw with my own eyes.

Cypry

by Cypry » 28 Jan 2012 19:21

Not too downhearted after that, created a few chances today, Roberts had a cracking debut, payed intelligently, looked a threat both directly and creatively. In fact both signings look like they could pay off, Cywka had a good little cameo.

Elsewhere, Antonio stood out as having a good game, not afraid to have a pop at goal either, he was unlucky not to score in the first half. Thought our weak points were Griffin (nearly gifted them a goal, and needs to put crosses in first time), and McAnuff. Jobi looked like he might still be carrying an injury to me, didn't once back himself to beat his man, and looked exhausted towards the end. Once again, I'm not sure what has to happen for Jobi to be substituted.....Antonio still looked reasonably fresh when he was replaced, whilst Jobi looked knackered......Brian does puzzle me sometimes....

Both pens looked pretty stonewall to me, Jobi was as unlucky with his as Roberts was lucky - great save from James, who un-characteristically didn't make any howlers today...

Bristol looked a lot better than their position in the table suggests, suspect they'll survive this year on that showing.

Points on the board for us then, up to those immediately around us to do the business Tuesday, although with two games against lowly sides coming up, and a worst case league position of 7th come Wednesday morning I'm feeling rather chipper this evening....
Last edited by Cypry on 28 Jan 2012 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Jan 2012 19:21

Royal Lady :oops: No not seen TV replay - was going by what I saw with my own eyes.

I thought exactly the same as you but it's actually a clearer pen than the 1st one. We clearly both have crap eyesight!

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 28 Jan 2012 19:22

Bristol were very unlucky not to get something out of this game and I'm sorry but Tabb and Karacan playing together doesnt work, we're in dire need of a creative midfield player. Good play from Jason though, I wasnt too sure that he had alot to offer but if he continues like today I think he'll fit in well. Funny how you read the write ups on here and wonder if you've gone to the same game :D

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 28 Jan 2012 19:23

Royal Lady wrote: I'd have played ALF up front with Roberts for a start

I thought Roberts and Hunt linked up very well with Hunt putting in a decent shift.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Jan 2012 19:23

MmmMonsterMunch
Royal Lady :oops: No not seen TV replay - was going by what I saw with my own eyes.

I thought exactly the same as you but it's actually a clearer pen than the 1st one. We clearly both have crap eyesight!

I even had my glasses on :oops:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Jan 2012 19:25

Royal Lady
MmmMonsterMunch

I even had my glasses on :oops:

Me too although I am in Y25 that's my excuse!

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Jan 2012 19:27

Decent showing. Thought Antonio got a mile better than he did last match. Roberts looked impressed.

Karacan was fantastic as usual.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 28 Jan 2012 19:37

Snowball Thought the guy who was playing alone up front (Wood) looks very promising and their RW
and one other who was similar build to Wood.

Wood played against us for Brum earlier this season, thought he looked very good then too.

250 posts