Thames Valley Royals

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Thames Valley Royals

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jan 2020 12:54

An interesting piece for those who are interested in our past.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... an-revolt/

Old Man Andrews

Re: Thames Valley Royals

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jan 2020 13:01

Good article, thanks for posting.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2020 14:06

Interesting how we went on opposite trajectories after it all unfolded. It's looked possible over the past couple of years our fares may converge again, but hopefully Howe and Bowen can keep them in their place for a while yet.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 24 Jan 2020 14:10

Yet another article which fails to mention that as soon as the Oxf*rd Board heard Royals was in the new title they got it changed to Thames Valley UNITED. No ifs or buts, every bit of Reading FC would have gone forever. Mr Smee and Mr. Tranter we owe you so much. without you we would not have seen the Royals play in the Premier League, or a FA Cup Semi Final.* I don't think there would have been many ex-Royals fans going up to Didcot , if that is where TVU played, as the plan was, anyway I think it would have been more likely to be in that University City just past Wallingford, where they played.
* Also thanks to SJM for his massive input to make those, and many other happy memories happen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 14:12

lovely stuff, highly enjoyable read

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Jan 2020 14:14

WoodleyRoyal An interesting piece for those who are interested in our past.

I had no idea that there had been a plan to merge Fulham and QPR :shock:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jan 2020 14:24

Franchise FC

Queens Park Cottagers?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Jan 2020 14:25

Forbury Lion
Franchise FC

Queens Park Cottagers?

Fulham Park Rangers apparently, but yours is just as good.

Park Rangers :lol: :lol:

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 24 Jan 2020 14:39

The Royal Forester Yet another article which fails to mention that as soon as the Oxf*rd Board heard Royals was in the new title they got it changed to Thames Valley UNITED. No ifs or buts, every bit of Reading FC would have gone forever. Mr Smee and Mr. Tranter we owe you so much. without you we would not have seen the Royals play in the Premier League, or a FA Cup Semi Final.* I don't think there would have been many ex-Royals fans going up to Didcot , if that is where TVU played, as the plan was, anyway I think it would have been more likely to be in that University City just past Wallingford, where they played.
* Also thanks to SJM for his massive input to make those, and many other happy memories happen.

At the time, Didcot was never ever mentioned by either board as a possible new home, this was pure press speculation after a comment by a local (Didcot) council member D Butcher.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2020 14:52

Reckon AFC Reading would have fought their way back to L2/L1 by now had this happened? I can't imagine Thames Valley Royals taking off and scaling new heights; it would have been like MK Dons

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 24 Jan 2020 15:17

Strange that the article does not mention yet another twist in the story: ex-Reading legend and stalwart Maurice Evans leading O*ford to their first major trophy vs Jim Smith's QPR.

I remember being totally shocked at the time of the announcement, but never thought that it would go through as I knew that the fans of both clubs would never let it happen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2020 17:02

Nice read.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Jan 2020 17:12

In the words of Shakin' Stevens "lovely stuff".

bagman

by bagman » 24 Jan 2020 17:34

I was at the Hilton Hotel, for the EAGM, and it really was a close run thing, even without the Waller votes. Shareholders were bussed in from all over. I remember an 80 year old woman from Bournemouth with 10 shares. Maxwell insisted that every resolution be voted on, even after the main one was lost. He finished by saying " You stupid people you do not realise what you have done !!" Finished about 1am if I remember correctly. Won by about 20 votes in 800. Chaired by a chap called Palfreman, who had a chequered history to say the least Baking hot evening with no air conditioning. Maurice Evans chain smoking outside as he was not allowed in the meeting

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Jan 2020 19:19

My recollections of this:

I'm sure we were playing Gillingham at home when this was announced (actually broke on Grandstand during the game) as I thought my dad was winding me up after he told me after the game when I got home

Can remember joining a demo round town (someone bought a coffin which was draped in scarves) before a home league game v Millwall?

We actually played Oxford a couple of weeks after the announcement I believe at the manor winning 2-1 with 2 late goals. Quite feisty that...

Sadly we got relegated on the last day of the season

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Jan 2020 19:39

bagman I was at the Hilton Hotel, for the EAGM, and it really was a close run thing, even without the Waller votes. Shareholders were bussed in from all over. I remember an 80 year old woman from Bournemouth with 10 shares. Maxwell insisted that every resolution be voted on, even after the main one was lost. He finished by saying " You stupid people you do not realise what you have done !!" Finished about 1am if I remember correctly. Won by about 20 votes in 800. Chaired by a chap called Palfreman, who had a chequered history to say the least Baking hot evening with no air conditioning. Maurice Evans chain smoking outside as he was not allowed in the meeting

Really interesting....the name Pafreman rings a bell...can't quite work out why

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jan 2020 21:25

Mid Sussex Royal My recollections of this:

I'm sure we were playing Gillingham at home when this was announced (actually broke on Grandstand during the game) as I thought my dad was winding me up after he told me after the game when I got home

Can remember joining a demo round town (someone bought a coffin which was draped in scarves) before a home league game v Millwall?

We actually played Oxford a couple of weeks after the announcement I believe at the manor winning 2-1 with 2 late goals. Quite feisty that...

Sadly we got relegated on the last day of the season

I was at that Oxford game. King Kerry scored a pen. We won the game but went down a week later on 53 points. May 83.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 24 Jan 2020 21:33

karbota
The Royal Forester Yet another article which fails to mention that as soon as the Oxf*rd Board heard Royals was in the new title they got it changed to Thames Valley UNITED. No ifs or buts, every bit of Reading FC would have gone forever. Mr Smee and Mr. Tranter we owe you so much. without you we would not have seen the Royals play in the Premier League, or a FA Cup Semi Final.* I don't think there would have been many ex-Royals fans going up to Didcot , if that is where TVU played, as the plan was, anyway I think it would have been more likely to be in that University City just past Wallingford, where they played.

At the time, Didcot was never ever mentioned by either board as a possible new home, this was pure press speculation after a comment by a local (Didcot) council member D Butcher.

I had moved away from Reading by that time and unable to get the Reading local papers, so had to rely on the National media, both TV and papers which must have got the wrong information (as usual), and as it was before the internet I believed it when they said Maxwell was planning a new stadium at Didcot, I should have known better! Thanks for putting me right, after all these years.

The Cube

by The Cube » 24 Jan 2020 22:08

Whilst at university in 1982 I went to visit a Miss G Maxwell, who was secretary of a society I wanted to join. She was absolutely lovely. Anyway, I handed over my £1.50 and we chatted for 10 minutes about football. Only on the way down the stairs did I suddenly twig who she was.

Never met her again, but I see her in the news quite often now. I doubt if she thinks of me much.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 24 Jan 2020 22:09

My recollection.

Was drinking in Coopers pre the demonstration.

Went out into Broad Street to join the pre-match march. Excellent stuff. Utter hatred towards Maxwell / Oxford etc etc.

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1