Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

229 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by Hound » 04 May 2021 13:47

Snowflake Royal It's pretty simple IMO.

If you have wide attackers who want to cut inside on their stronger foot because they're inverted, you need full backs who are willing to go beyond on the outside.

If you have wide attackers who want to get to the byline and cross, you want full backs who can cross from deep / cut inside.

Currently we have wide attackers who want to cut inside (in fact one wants to play centre forward) and full backs who want to cut inside. That means all our play is happening around the edge of he 18 yard box and is cluttered and squeezed of space without enough width.

yep pretty much. Would agree with that.

I think Richards can play that FB role - why its been so disappointing that he doesn't seem to be doing it. Yids is a very good fb, but overlapping and crossing isnt his game. Think you can do that on one side, but one of the FBs needs to be able to overlap and cross

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 13:51

Hound

If you have wide attackers who want to cut inside on their stronger foot because they're inverted, you need full backs who are willing to go beyond on the outside.

If you have wide attackers who want to get to the byline and cross, you want full backs who can cross from deep / cut inside.

Currently we have wide attackers who want to cut inside (in fact one wants to play centre forward) and full backs who want to cut inside. That means all our play is happening around the edge of he 18 yard box and is cluttered and squeezed of space without enough width.

I think Richards can play that FB role - why its been so disappointing that he doesn't seem to be doing it. Yids is a very good fb, but overlapping and crossing isnt his game. Think you can do that on one side, but one of the FBs needs to be able to overlap and cross

Left is most important because you want to hit that back post for Meite to bully the fullback.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sanguine » 04 May 2021 16:03

Hound

Likewise. And going back to my earlier example, that's why Forster and Murty were so potent, Murts would either be feeding Fozzy in around the penalty area, or in Alexander-Arnold style, delivering a cross from 35 yards out.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 May 2021 16:30

Snowball I think Ejaria should be central AM or No 10

+1 Snowball, Ejaria would be lethal as a number 10. When Ejaria is on his game he is a very tricky player who can bambozzle an opponent. This mainly happens on the left side of midfield which is his chosen position. Now, if you put a player of Ejaria's ability and play him just of the shoulder of the striker it gives you a whole new dimension.
Ejaria has an eye for goal and a good shot on him and he is also one of the few players who can pick a pass. Finally, you put someone as tricky as Ejaria around the penalty box with the ball the oposing defenders will shit bricks!!
I really thing we need a speedy left winger in the mould of "Barrow" and move Ovie into the Attacking Midfield role and keep him there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 17:21

I think he'd continue to slow everything down and fail to deliver enough end product given his talent. But he'd be a lot better suited there to the wing.

Which is why I hope that when we sell Olise we bring in a proper LWer and then have Swift and Ejaria compete for 10. With Swift also able to cover Laurent / Rino alongside Tetek and maybe a loanee.

Vision
Hob Nob Regular

by Vision » 05 May 2021 08:10

Crowbar6753

+1 Snowball, Ejaria would be lethal as a number 10. When Ejaria is on his game he is a very tricky player who can bambozzle an opponent. This mainly happens on the left side of midfield which is his chosen position. Now, if you put a player of Ejaria's ability and play him just of the shoulder of the striker it gives you a whole new dimension.
Ejaria has an eye for goal and a good shot on him and he is also one of the few players who can pick a pass. Finally, you put someone as tricky as Ejaria around the penalty box with the ball the oposing defenders will shit bricks!!
I really thing we need a speedy left winger in the mould of "Barrow" and move Ovie into the Attacking Midfield role and keep him there.

I'm a big fan and really don't buy into most of "he always slows stuff down/no end product" criticism but his shooting is woeful and is absolutely an area he would need to improve on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hendo » 05 May 2021 08:43

Vision
Crowbar6753

I'm a big fan and really don't buy into most of "he always slows stuff down/no end product" criticism but his shooting is woeful and is absolutely an area he would need to improve on.

I think he has it in his locker for sure, last season he scored a cracker against West Brom from the edge of the box, his goal against Huddersfield was also decent (last season) IIRC, but agree it is certainly something he needs to work on, but I think he has the base ability.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 10:12

Have to agree with Vision. Two of his goals have been scuffed deflections

Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Snowball » 05 May 2021 10:56

We need to ignore the first 8 games because, after all it was new manager bounce.

Delete any own-goals because WE didn't score them.

Delete all deflected goals, scuffed goals and mis-kicks

Delete any goals we were awarded where the opponent's keeper should have saved it

Our season is now P4 W2 D1 L1 5-3 and we end out 7th

229 posts