233 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a)

by Sutekh » 07 Mar 2022 20:39

When : Saturday 12th March 2022, 3pm
Where : City Ground, Nottingham, NG2 5FJ
Capacity : 30,445

Reading are off to Nottinghamshire on Saturday, pretty much a year to the day since the last visit, hoping to avoid yet another pointless exercise in keeping a clean sheet and yet another ridiculous and total wasteful game of late substitutions.

Forest have lost 1 of their last 9 league games (at Cardiff in January) and have 2 wins and 3 draws from their last 5. They haven’t been beaten at home this year, have only failed to score in 1 game this year and have turned both Arsenal and Leicester out of the FA Cup (and are currently doing Huddersfield over in the same competition tonight as well). All of that is largely pointless though as Reading have proved themselves to be fairly incompetent against any opposition from any level in pretty much any sort of form.

Injury free Forest have both Lewis Grabban and Brennan Johnson scoring goals for fun - just the 22 between them so far - plus Ryan Yates and James Garner buzzing about doing dangerous things in midfield. But I’m sure PInce will come up trumps with a tactical stroke of genius - or at least something that doesn’t involve playing his son (a natural left winger) on the right and putting Meite on with 5 minutes to go - to nullify any hope that the men from Sherwood might have.

On the injury front Reading might have Laurent available again and Halilovic might get a go on the bench.

At least this Saturday sees Barnsley entertaining Fulham at 12.30 and Derby travelling to Bournemouth so there is some hope that no ground will be lost - and, therefore, if a miracle did occur what better day could there be for it (especially with a midweek trip to Boremuff next)?

Referee

Thomas “still 100% Reading and from games this season!” Bramall

Previously

06 Nov 21 > Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
02 Oct 21 > Cardiff City 0-1 Reading

Historically

This is the 24th season shared thus far with the tricky trees. 5 wins to show at the City Ground against Forest’s 12. Only 3 points from 3 draws in the last 7 visits though so this is going to be quite a challenge in this one, but then a trip to Slough or Bracknell would probably be quite a challenge (and those clubs probably get more Reading fans on a Saturday than Reading).

How to follow the game

1. Get ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a)

by windermereROYAL » 07 Mar 2022 20:57

Should be fun. only need to keep Davis Johnson and Spence quiet.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2022 21:06

They lost fairly recently to cardiff

I don’t think they are all that tbh. Seem to have relied on quite a few late goals (worthy in itself of course) but they aren’t amazing by any stretch

Still we’re pretty crap so it’ll be a big struggle. Just hoping Joao/Swift are on form and we can grab a goal or so. And make some useful subs. Don’t hold out much hope mind you

Prob go same team but Dann in for Holmes, Meite and Ejaria for Hoilett and Ince. Or at least one of them

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Mar 2022 21:32

Interesting conundrum for Forest, win and keep their play-off dreams alive but also aid Derby in their survival bid.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Mar 2022 21:43

Johnson and Spence are lightning quick. Too quick for us I suspect.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 07 Mar 2022 22:38

Easy 3 points.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Mar 2022 22:54

Tails Easy 3 points.

For Forest?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Mar 2022 08:46

Looks on paper like we are going to get a good hiding but we will probably go up there and win 3-0 out of nowhere.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Mar 2022 08:51

Is it just me, or does anyone else have an utterly irrational dislike of Steve Cooper?

Never met the guy, and he is probably a really good bloke, but I cannot shake my total antipathy towards him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Mar 2022 08:52

We'll lose but at this stage of the season, you often get surprise results. So who knows, we may fluke a 0-0.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Mar 2022 08:55

They were on a decent run when we played them at home and I thought we matched them for large parts of the game to come away with a 1-1. No reason why we couldn't do it again, would be delighted with a point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Mar 2022 09:35

Mr Angry Is it just me, or does anyone else have an utterly irrational dislike of Steve Cooper?

Never met the guy, and he is probably a really good bloke, but I cannot shake my total antipathy towards him.

It’s not just you, no

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Mar 2022 09:38

Our record there in recent times hasn't been too bad, in terms of draws anyway, which I'd take all day long. They seem to be playing really well at the moment but yet the results maybe do not translate to the performances they've been putting in. They can look every bit a play off side, but yet they do drop points in games.

It really depends on how which narrative you want to spin with them really. On one hand, you could say 1 defeat in 6, on the other hand you could say only 2 wins in 6, in the league anyway. Again though, those draws coming against Preston, Sheff United and Stoke who are straight up better than us whereas they've been the likes of Bristol City, Barnsley and Derby since the turn of the year (including Blackburn and Millwall away) so they will be thinking that this game against us is no banana skin and they'll walk away comfortable winners.

I want to believe our decent record of sharing the spoils with them in many games in recent years gives me some confidence of a result, but I also can't see anything other than an easy 2-0 win really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2022 09:39

Another week on the training ground to work on defence. Another week for Ince to assess the players and get his message across.

Forest aren't especially big scorers and they don't have anyone prolific, but they do have two on good numbers.

We know we can do damage going forward.

If we can score first I think we've got a great chance of getting points. If we go behind we probably won't.

I fancy a little something for us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Mar 2022 09:49

Hound
Mr Angry Is it just me, or does anyone else have an utterly irrational dislike of Steve Cooper?

It’s not just you, no

I don't have a personal dislike towards him, but he doesn't look the least bit like a football manager in physical appearance.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Mar 2022 10:13

He reminds me of that male teacher in school who would perv over the year 11 girls.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Mar 2022 12:05

We have a very strong squad many would love to have. There's no reason we can't get a result ffs

Come on Reading!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 08 Mar 2022 12:29

Hound

It’s not just you, no

He does look a bit like Sluff (sp?) from the Goonies.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2022 12:31

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound

It’s not just you, no

He does look a bit like Sluff (sp?) from the Goonies.

Sloth

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Mar 2022 13:02

NathStPaul He reminds me of that male teacher in school who would perv over the year 7 boys.

Fixed for you.

233 posts