If money was no object...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: If money was no object...

by Millsy » 22 Aug 2022 10:47

Splash the cash to get someone like Gourlay in - worked at the highest level and knows how to clear out the deadwood.

Cut down medical/sports science staff to save further money and resources.

Splash the cash on an up and coming manager from abroad not tainted by the ways of English football with fresh ideas.

Splash the cash on a decent agent like Kia or similar who can get you top class players.

Money is the key.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Aug 2022 11:54

Half Horse If money was no object and as the owner you had a five year plan to return to the Premier League, who would you try to recruit as your manager? Bearing in mind the likes of Klopp and Guardiola are unlikely to be interested in coming to the Thames Valley.

Managers also want trophies on their CV. Likelihood of achieving this at Reading is remote with the ever growing divide between the elite and everybody else. Money doesn't guarantee success either.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 23 Aug 2022 07:24

Surprised there has not been more general interest in Paul Warne from other clubs in the last couple of years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Aug 2022 07:42

Mr Optimist Surprised there has not been more general interest in Paul Warne from other clubs in the last couple of years.

Needs to have a better season in the champ really. If they can build on a promotion rather than go straight back down them I’m sure there’d be some interest

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Aug 2022 10:22

Mr Optimist Surprised there has not been more general interest in Paul Warne from other clubs in the last couple of years.

He was actually my second choice behind Rowett initially as I believe he would do better with more resource.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Aug 2022 11:00

Leeds attracted Bielsa, so I think we could try to get someone with a similar profile. Maybe Roberto de Zerbi? Or Marco Rose?

More realistically, if Ince retired tomorrow then I’d love it if we could get in someone like Michael Duff or Liam Manning.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Aug 2022 11:40

Snowflake Royal Judging by that response its an alt account for a troll

It’s almost as if a troll has ‘left’ the board recently…

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Aug 2022 13:11

YorkshireRoyal99

He was actually my second choice behind Rowett initially as I believe he would do better with more resource.

Money no object and your choice is Gary Rowett?! No wonder this club has gone to the dogs.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Aug 2022 14:54

John Smith
YorkshireRoyal99

Money no object and your choice is Gary Rowett?! No wonder this club has gone to the dogs.

When asked to be realistic, yes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2022 18:15

John Smith
YorkshireRoyal99

FYI YR isn’t involved in running the club.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 23 Aug 2022 18:31

I would count out those managers in the prem already but look at a manager/set up that could get their teeth into a project.

I still rate the Cowley’s and believe Portsmouth will be in a much better position this year.

For sure though Potter and Cooper would of been the two I would of looked at otherwise

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Aug 2022 08:52

Snowflake Royal FYI YR isn’t involved in running the club.

Thank god for that!

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Aug 2022 10:49

oldebiscuit Are you serious or just bored out of your box? Or has mummy forbidden you to watch television tonight?

Get back in your box m8

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 25 Aug 2022 10:21

Klopp - Manager
Steve Coppell - DOF
Rebuild the Madstad around us to a 58,000 super stadium, ready for the fair-weathers to return on mass for Champions League football.
Buy the Speedway land and turn it into a Sports Village to line the Club's pockets further.
Buy Oxford United through a secretive third party, promise them a new stadium, make them share with Swindon, then withhold all money until they implode.

PATRIQT
Age 42

:wink:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2022 11:30

PATRIQT Steve Coppell - DOF

Not a chance. What he loves is coaching players directly and working out the tactics to win each game. What he hates is managing the finances, talking to agents and dealing with transfers etc.

As a DoF it'd be all of what he hates and none of what he loves.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2022 12:45

Dirk Gently

Not a chance. What he loves is coaching players directly and working out the tactics to win each game. What he hates is managing the finances, talking to agents and dealing with transfers etc.

He moved into some DoF roles since finishing management though from what I recall.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Aug 2022 13:17

Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently

He moved into some DoF roles since finishing management though from what I recall.

Yes, DoF at both Crawley and Portsmouth.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Aug 2022 13:30

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2022 14:10

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently

Yes, DoF at both Crawley and Portsmouth.

From the sounds of it he was just "dabbling" at it to keep his hand in - and at Crawley he was more of an advisor to his mate the owner than having a proper, full-time role. But the finance, admin and strategy parts of the DoF role are bits he's on the record as saying he doesn't enjoy. In particular, he actively hates agents and contract negotiations.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/ex-crystal-palace-man-johnny-ertl-portsmouth-was-too-big-for-richie-barker-and-steve-coppell-contributed-nothing-3046895
‘Then there was Steve Coppell, appointed as Pompey’s director of football after arriving with Barker. He was around the place, but I never managed to figure out his role.
‘Being a former Palace player, I was well aware of Coppell’s history and the high regard their supporters held him in.
‘With his wealth of experience as an ex-manager, you could see why his appointment appealed to the board in their attempts to get this historic club back on the right track.
‘However, he was sometimes there, sometimes not, then he was gone. From memory, he was at the training ground once. A shadow, but not there very long.
‘Coppell was like a guest coming in – “Hey, how are you doing?”, then he was off. It was a case of ‘Nice to see you, bye, thank you’. He left no impression here.
‘He needed to help the manager, but never interacted with the squad. When you give advice you must know the players, surely he had to be much more involved and show his face every now and again? For me, he was a guest.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/crawley-town/news/steve-coppell-leaves-crawley-town-post_121615.html