590 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles In

by Uke » 14 Jan 2024 18:05

Sutekh
Uke
Sutekh
Shows the club and Bowen up. MB really should have been the one answering the questions but Dai's "no comment" approach to running a club seems to flow down to the people where communication should be an important part of their job descriptions.

In the interview Selles said that he wanted to come out (for the interview!) and also made it clear that Bowen heard about the offers for Abbey and Holmes being accepted at the same time as Bowen.

I also heard that Selles found out at the same time as Selles.

:lol:

That my proofreader sacked :lol:
https://youtu.be/qwMLabWRrXo?si=WUccJVtrhDilDaq8

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 18 Jan 2024 21:22

If Selles can keep us in League 1 this season, he will surely be seen as a miracle worker. By the day it gets more and more difficult.

If he can do it, he'll be a legend.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 18 Jan 2024 23:50

He’s shown a lot of loyalty to the club despite what’s been happening. I feel like we should at least not forget how much him (and Mark Bowen I suppose) have stood by us in the club’s darkest moment whatever happens next.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Jan 2024 00:05

TiagoIlori He’s shown a lot of loyalty to the club despite what’s been happening. I feel like we should at least not forget how much him (and Mark Bowen I suppose) have stood by us in the club’s darkest moment whatever happens next.

To a point but Selles is only in a job because our owner doesn’t care less about the club and he doesn’t walk as he’s being paid and can’t really lose. Stay up he gets credit go down he can say he had such a tough gig etc

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jan 2024 14:13

"The people are spectacular. They support us at home and away. When they took the field they came to talk to me and told us that they were not protesting against us. We must make them feel proud.”

To the Spanish press. Whatever your views on his record so far, surely everyone wants him to get us through this now?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Jan 2024 14:28

SouthDownsRoyal
TiagoIlori He’s shown a lot of loyalty to the club despite what’s been happening. I feel like we should at least not forget how much him (and Mark Bowen I suppose) have stood by us in the club’s darkest moment whatever happens next.

To a point but Selles is only in a job because our owner doesn’t care less about the club and he doesn’t walk as he’s being paid and can’t really lose. Stay up he gets credit go down he can say he had such a tough gig etc

Selles gave up a months wages to ensure the staff got paid one month and has been routinely paid late. Most people would be pretty pissed off at the latter.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2024 17:24

TiagoIlori
SouthDownsRoyal

Selles gave up a months wages to ensure the staff got paid one month and has been routinely paid late. Most people would be pretty pissed off at the latter.

He didn't give up a month's wages he just said to delay his being paid in December until the ordinary staff were paid. Same with Bowen.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Jan 2024 12:40

Summary of Southampton ex CEO Martin Semmens comments on Selles (on TalkSport):

Lots of style but lacking substance (experience) - good communicator and a nearly man (almost getting results against big teams). Good relationship with players.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jan 2024 12:45

Probably sounds about fair for him to be honest, although can't comment on relationship with players as we don't truly know but players seem to buy into his ideas on the field anyway and we have picked up a bit in the last couple of months in terms of results.

It probably wasn't the ideal audition to show whether you're capable of making it as a manager though, I'm sure he's been thrown by quite a few challenges that he wouldn't get at a lot of other clubs. If things don't work out for him here, I hope someone else gives him an opportunity as he seems alright really.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jan 2024 12:50

morganb Summary of Southampton ex CEO Martin Semmens comments on Selles (on TalkSport):

Lots of style but lacking substance (experience) - good communicator and a nearly man (almost getting results against big teams). Good relationship with players.

I don't like conflating substance and experience; they are different matters. "Substance" for an inexperienced manager is the ability to learn on the job.

I'm torn tbh. With Pauno, his 7 wins and 1 draw in 8 didn't count in the reckoning, so can we do the opposite and exclude the dire run of 1 point from 8 between our Bolton and Wycombe wins?

He's inexperienced and that was undoubtedly costly in the circumstances; that run looks likely to relegate us and would not have happened with an experienced manager. So I don't think it's controversial to say his appointment was a mistake, though Bowen probably didn't envisage the circumstances being this bad. Perhaps he thought mid table this season followed by promotion challenge next season was fair had the club been run well.

At the same time, the squad was young and learning too, and I think he was let down by experienced players like Hutchinson and Dean who should be bringing on field game management in situations such as Orient and Shrewbury away. He has learned since then; we've been much better with the new formation. And having gone through what he's done, that will help him improve as the manager. To change now would leave us with the downside of his inexperience without the potential upside.

It's irrelevant anyway really. He's here while Dai stays. I guess the question is, if we got good owners in, would Selles be the man to lead the project on the pitch? Even if he starts from L2?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Jan 2024 15:36

WestYorksRoyal
morganb Summary of Southampton ex CEO Martin Semmens comments on Selles (on TalkSport):

I don't like conflating substance and experience; they are different matters. "Substance" for an inexperienced manager is the ability to learn on the job.

I'm torn tbh. With Pauno, his 7 wins and 1 draw in 8 didn't count in the reckoning, so can we do the opposite and exclude the dire run of 1 point from 8 between our Bolton and Wycombe wins?

He's inexperienced and that was undoubtedly costly in the circumstances; that run looks likely to relegate us and would not have happened with an experienced manager. So I don't think it's controversial to say his appointment was a mistake, though Bowen probably didn't envisage the circumstances being this bad. Perhaps he thought mid table this season followed by promotion challenge next season was fair had the club been run well.

At the same time, the squad was young and learning too, and I think he was let down by experienced players like Hutchinson and Dean who should be bringing on field game management in situations such as Orient and Shrewbury away. He has learned since then; we've been much better with the new formation. And having gone through what he's done, that will help him improve as the manager. To change now would leave us with the downside of his inexperience without the potential upside.

It's irrelevant anyway really. He's here while Dai stays. I guess the question is, if we got good owners in, would Selles be the man to lead the project on the pitch? Even if he starts from L2?

No

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 23 Jan 2024 21:57

SouthDownsRoyal
WestYorksRoyal

No

Yes.

Selles is the man for the job!

Now beating the top challengers in the table. Phenomenal.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Jan 2024 22:01

Just 5 points behind 14th place

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 23 Jan 2024 22:02

Time for a promotion push- top 6 finish.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 23 Jan 2024 22:13

Based on form we shouldn't have to worry ... but form can quickly slip away.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2024 22:14

Keep basically this form or close to it up and we should be fine. He’s clearly learning lessons and the team are not making the mistakes it did. Credit to him but needs to keep it up obvs

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jan 2024 22:15

Royalwaster Based on form we shouldn't have to worry ... but form can quickly slip away.

Especially when your CEO sells your best players above the manager's head.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Jan 2024 22:24

Since Shrewsbury we`ve played 11 Won 5 Drawn 4 lost 2 in the league, he has my utmost respect for turning this around. blimey there`s even 2 midweek wins in there, whatever next?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Jan 2024 22:24

Hound Keep basically this form or close to it up and we should be fine. He’s clearly learning lessons and the team are not making the mistakes it did. Credit to him but needs to keep it up obvs

Indeed

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Jan 2024 22:25

Where's the staying up party thread?!

590 posts