MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

235 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Jan 2024 10:31

I have only ever been to 2 places that I would happily quantify as shitholes; Mexborough and Featherstone. Both are like time stood still in 1983.

Even then, I've not been to either in a decade.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jan 2024 10:38

From Despair To Where?
Royal_jimmy
Brogue Cheltenham away > pretty much all of the championship away days

I agree. Thought it was a very enjoyable one despite the first half performance. Cheltenham is one of the nicer places as well and not a shithole like places such as Middlesbrough, Swansea, Birmingham, Preston and Huddersfield which are.

Wouldn't describe Huddersfield or Swansea as shitholes. They're both pretty decent places if you go there for anything other than football. Actually much the same is true for Birmingham and Preston. I've not spent any time in Middlesbrough other than for football so can't judge.

How do you think people judge Reading if they only see Whitley?

I do quite a few northern away days. They're shit because we lose, but the places are friendly and have plenty going for them. Middlesbrough was a nice away day, we watched the early kick off in a v. cheap pub and got speaking to some friendly locals from Hartlepool. Hull has a nice old town and dock area which is working seeing. The countryside and smaller villages around Huddersfield are breathtaking. All these places have things going for them and areas of deprivation, as does Reading. And as has been pointed out, the area around the SCL hardly gives a fair impression of Reading. I can't stand the southern snobbery that assumes all these places are shitholes.

In fact, were I to move back down South my quality of life would probably decrease due to the cost. As it is, I can have a professional career, live in lovely countryside between Bradford and Leeds with a good train line to both. If I got a transfer to our London office and commuted from Reading I'd probably be able to negotiate a geographical pay rise, but would still have a smaller home etc., So maybe for many the North offers a better quality of life.

In the other direction, a lot of northern teams see us as a plastic, small club because we don't have an old industrial heartland where the fans would come from. Well they can also go fcuk themselves; Reading fans have demonstrated in 2023 how much we care for our club and how we'll fight for its future.

So basically ignorance and snobbery on all sides.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 01 Jan 2024 10:44, edited 2 times in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Jan 2024 10:41

Yeah, it's a different side of the same coin, largely borne out of ignorance.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Jan 2024 10:57

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?
Royal_jimmy
I agree. Thought it was a very enjoyable one despite the first half performance. Cheltenham is one of the nicer places as well and not a shithole like places such as Middlesbrough, Swansea, Birmingham, Preston and Huddersfield which are.

Wouldn't describe Huddersfield or Swansea as shitholes. They're both pretty decent places if you go there for anything other than football. Actually much the same is true for Birmingham and Preston. I've not spent any time in Middlesbrough other than for football so can't judge.

I do quite a few northern away days. They're shit because we lose, but the places are friendly and have plenty going for them. Middlesbrough was a nice away day, we watched the early kick off in a v. cheap pub and got speaking to some friendly locals from Hartlepool. Hull has a nice old town and dock area which is working seeing. The countryside and smaller villages around Huddersfield are breathtaking. All these places have things going for them and areas of deprivation, as does Reading. And as has been pointed out, the area around the SCL hardly gives a fair impression of Reading. I can't stand the southern snobbery that assumes all these places are shitholes.

In fact, were I to move back down South my quality of life would probably decrease due to the cost. As it is, I can have a professional career, live in lovely countryside between Bradford and Leeds with a good train line to both. If I got a transfer to our London office and commuted from Reading I'd probably be able to negotiate a geographical pay rise, but would still have a smaller home etc., So maybe for many the North offers a better quality of life.

In the other direction, a lot of northern teams see us as a plastic, small club because we don't have an old industrial heartland where the fans would come from. Well they can also go fcuk themselves; Reading fans have demonstrated in 2023 how much we care for our club and how we'll fight for its future.

Football grounds are rarely in the nice part of town, even the old traditional grounds. Anyone judging Oxford or Cambridge based on where their grounds are/were located is going to get a very skewed impression.

I agree that the 'grim up north' stereotype means many in the south think it's all just bleak housing and borderline poverty.

I've been to many non-league games up in the north, and other than the M40/M6 boredom, I love going up there because of the countryside, and often the attractiveness of the town centres. Even somewhere like Halifax has a fair bit going for it.

I will still need a lot of convincing about Preston though.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 01 Jan 2024 11:02

All of these ‘shitholes’ are still surrounded by some pretty amazing countryside.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Jan 2024 11:08

I have to work in Chesterfield a lot and I like it so much I am going to buy a house in the town. It’s a fantastic place to live with the Peak District close by and the people are really friendly. You just have to get used to everyone calling you “duck”.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 01 Jan 2024 11:18

Talking of away grounds up North, who went up for the Wunderland game when we were in the Prem? Me and bruv flew up there, literally, and our mate, who lives in Sunderland, picked us up from Newcastle airport. He also said "If it wasn't you lads coming up here, there's no other way you'd catch me in these parts". The rivalry still runs deep and, ironically, they're due to play each other in the Cup. Anyway, long story short, we ended up in a Spoons before it absolutely hammered down. Reading lads came in the pub, looking like drowned rats, and promptly announced that the game had been cancelled. Naturally, we were like "You 'avin a larf?" "No mate". And so it came to be - game cancelled. Ended up in Seaham that night having a ruby and a few beers. Every cloud's got a silver lining. Even the ones that piss down with rain over Wunderland.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jan 2024 11:23

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?
Royal_jimmy

It's not about whether they're north or south, there are loads of shit holes in the south. Bedford for example.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Jan 2024 11:33

tmesis
WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?

Football grounds are rarely in the nice part of town, even the old traditional grounds. Anyone judging Oxford or Cambridge based on where their grounds are/were located is going to get a very skewed impression.

I agree that the 'grim up north' stereotype means many in the south think it's all just bleak housing and borderline poverty.

I've been to many non-league games up in the north, and other than the M40/M6 boredom, I love going up there because of the countryside, and often the attractiveness of the town centres. Even somewhere like Halifax has a fair bit going for it.

I will still need a lot of convincing about Preston though.

Although the road in from the motorway through Elland and the hideous flyover through the town centre does nothing to dispel the dark satanic mills myth, Halifax is actually a nice place.

Preston's not great but it's by no means a shithole.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jan 2024 12:06

None of the places mentioned are shitholes, but most do have their bad areas, but I suspect that's the same for most/any places in the UK. Our capital city is probably 60% of a "shithole".

Halifax is a nice place, it's (now) my local town. Between Broad Street Plaza, Piece Hall and Snooker Hall alongside the done up bus station, it looks a lot healthier than what you'd associate it with. Unfortunately, there are still some of the dregs about the place up by the top end of the town as you go out towards Burnley, but it's far better than what it's given credit for.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Jan 2024 12:22

All I'd say is i moved from Sussex to the East Mids just after covid and have a bigger house, smaller mortgage and a better quality of life. And I can get into London when i need to for work in 80 mins

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Jan 2024 13:46

Brogue
Royal_jimmy
Brogue Cheltenham away > pretty much all of the championship away days

Indeed I stayed the night and had a mooch around the town on that Saturday. Very nice indeed

Exactly why I moved over here and now call this area "home". Don't miss Reading/Wokingham at all.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jan 2024 17:53

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?
Royal_jimmy

Fair enough. Let’s be honest by most definitions it’s pretty South and Portsmouth is one of the pikiest towns in the UK.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 01 Jan 2024 19:25

blythspartan I have to work in Chesterfield a lot and I like it so much I am going to buy a house in the town. It’s a fantastic place to live with the Peak District close by and the people are really friendly. You just have to get used to everyone calling you “duck”.

I have unhappy memories of getting spat on after a match at Chesterfield, although I’m not sure they were Chesterfield fans so much as bored local teenagers.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Jan 2024 13:24

YorkshireRoyal99 None of the places mentioned are shitholes, but most do have their bad areas, but I suspect that's the same for most/any places in the UK. Our capital city is probably 60% of a "shithole".

Halifax is a nice place, it's (now) my local town. Between Broad Street Plaza, Piece Hall and Snooker Hall alongside the done up bus station, it looks a lot healthier than what you'd associate it with. Unfortunately, there are still some of the dregs about the place up by the top end of the town as you go out towards Burnley, but it's far better than what it's given credit for.

I worked for a Company based in Fearnley Mill in Halifax, which had been converted 35 Years ago into Hi Tech Industry usage; we always used to stay in a pub called the Hobbit Inn which was located in a small village on the outskirts. Fabulous town and area even then.

235 posts