186 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Fleetwood Town (a)

by Clyde1998 » 16 Feb 2024 15:17

traff
skipper
72 bus
I'm well are that it's quite a common theme towards the end of games under pressure, but you don't need all ten outfield players in the area to defend.
For their equaliser nobody knew where the ball was going as nobody had sight of the ball in that congested space, you are far better leaving a couple of players outside to try and get on the clearances and run the ball into safe areas.
Had Smith been on the pitch or Ehibhatiomhan being able to last 90 + mins as any 20 year old should be able to manage comfortably it might have turned out differently.
All that and then bringing on the lad from arsenal who is a centre back instead of rushesha who is an actual right back in his time at swansea?
A draw was probably a great escape as it should really have been 2-1 to Fleetwood.

I quickly checked the stats, and i'm not sure why it should have been 2:1 to Fleetwood.

Their goal was offside. We had a 1v1 that should have been buried... they only had 1 more shot on target more than us. Possesion, passes and fouls were remarkably even... i dont think they deserved to win. I would have felt cheated if they had snatched it.

As there was no goal-line technology in use would VAR technology have brought a different result to this game?
Personally not a fan of VAR. Is there goal line tech at different grounds in League One or not in use at all? Can't remember if it has been needed at home this season.

IIRC, there's no technology in League One. I don't know if clubs would have to install it at their own cost or not, which may be why it's not used.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 16 Feb 2024 15:20

72 bus All that and then bringing on the lad from arsenal who is a centre back instead of rushesha who is an actual right back in his time at swansea?

I think Selles was concerned about height, as I don't see any other reason for taking Abrefa off. Neither Abrefa nor Rushesha are particularly tall.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 16 Feb 2024 15:46

I couldn't see what happened with the Fleetwood goal, owing to a combination of the net at our end, Reading wearing grey, the air being grey, and me being blind as a bat. But as far as gutted goes, I felt like a cod having its heart ripped out on a slab at Fleetwood docks.

My opinions on a couple of points raised in the thread:

I like both Craig and Savage. But if they're going to be swapped, do it the way we did it at Oxford: Craig marshalled the deep midfield well till Oxford were getting knackered, and then Savage could come on and crunch the game around in midfield like Jem Karacan in disguise.

If we haven't got a target man, play Femi and Kelv as two unguided cruise missiles down the wings and tell the rest of them, "OK, you lot may not be lethal, but you are footballers so run up the middle and kick what comes over into the net, in the same way that when your mums put your dinner on a plate, you just polish it off, it's not lettuce science".

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 27 Feb 2024 13:48

https://twitter.com/BiscuitAnalytic/sta ... 6227028229

Just to rub salt in the wounds, the @EFL have told the club that Fleetwood's goal shouldn't have stood due to offside, so what was a 4 point deduction, reduced to 2 on appeal, is essentially a 4 point deduction anyway due to their officials mistakes anyway.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2024 14:01

morganb https://twitter.com/BiscuitAnalytic/status/1762457066227028229

Just to rub salt in the wounds, the @EFL have told the club that Fleetwood's goal shouldn't have stood due to offside, so what was a 4 point deduction, reduced to 2 on appeal, is essentially a 4 point deduction anyway due to their officials mistakes anyway.

We all pretty much knew this already but the 2 points dropped as a result of it would have balanced out the deduction if the flag had correctly been raised.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2024 18:05

Stranded
morganb https://twitter.com/BiscuitAnalytic/status/1762457066227028229

We all pretty much knew this already but the 2 points dropped as a result of it would have balanced out the deduction if the flag had correctly been raised.

I'm sure every club could point to points lost due to poor officiating. So that's pretty pathetic stuff from us.

186 posts