A message from BBC Radio Berkshire

301 posts
Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 24 Jul 2006 10:56

CocoPops I had a reply from Hilary Scott just now

Thanks Lee. We've had a lot of letters so will be running them all week.
We also have John Madejski explaining his reasons on front page today.
Kind regards
Hilary

Sounds ominious.
I don't want to start lambasting the guy, afterall where would we be without him, but unless 107 are gong on DAB or something then he is really out of touch with the fans in my opinion over this.
There's a lot of respect to win back here JM, don't be an ass for the sake of a few quid.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 Jul 2006 12:35

The Evening Post Madejski: Why I ditched the Beeb

Royals chairman John Madejski has defended his decision to axe BBC Radio Berkshire’s right to cover Reading matches, saying its offer of £65,000 would “hardly pay one month’s salary” for one of his players.

Many fans are furious with the move, which sees the rights to air matches pass exclusively to Mr Madejski’s own station, Reading 107fm which reaches fewer people than the BBC station according to official statistics.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening Post, Mr Madejski said: “I asked for £100,000 from BBC Radio Berkshire to cover both home and away games. I think that is commensurate with the value they would be getting.

“Things are so much more steamy in the Premiership these days – £65,000 hardly pays for one month’s salary for one of my players.

“Fans should appreciate how much more expensive being in the Premiership is.”

Mr Madejski continued: “I have to look after the interests of Reading FC.”

With spare tickets to watch next season’s matches scarcer than ever, thousands of loyal Royals planned to follow their heroes over the airwaves.

But according to figures issued by Radio Joint Audience Research Limited (RAJAR) and highlighted by Supporters’ Trust at Reading (STAR), Reading 107 has a potential reach of just 257,000 people aged over 15, while BBC Radio Berkshire can reach some 771,000.

When the Evening Post put it to Mr Madejski that half a million listeners would lose out on hearing live matches, he said: “Okay, tell them to send me a pound each and I’ll give it [the rights] back to Radio Berkshire.”

By this morning, 768 fans had signed an online petition calling for the BBC to be reinstated, while internet fanzine Hobnob has been bombarded all weekend with messages from supporters unanimously blasting the move.

Jon Keen, who chairs STAR, said the group was extremely disappointed with the decision and urged the chairman to reconsider the move.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/2002/2 ... d_the_beeb
Last edited by TFF on 24 Jul 2006 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 24 Jul 2006 12:39

That Friday Feeling

Royals chairman John Madejski has defended his decision to axe BBC Radio Berkshire’s right to cover Reading matches, saying its offer of £65,000 would “hardly pay one month’s salary” for one of his players.

Many fans are furious with the move, which sees the rights to air matches pass exclusively to Mr Madejski’s own station, Reading 107fm which reaches fewer people than the BBC station according to official statistics.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening Post, Mr Madejski said: “I asked for £100,000 from BBC Radio Berkshire to cover both home and away games. I think that is commensurate with the value they would be getting.

“Things are so much more steamy in the Premiership these days – £65,000 hardly pays for one month’s salary for one of my players.

With spare tickets to watch next season’s matches scarcer than ever, thousands of loyal Royals planned to follow their heroes over the airwaves.

But according to figures issued by Radio Joint Audience Research Limited (RAJAR) and highlighted by Supporters’ Trust at Reading (STAR), Reading 107 has a potential reach of just 257,000 people aged over 15, while BBC Radio Berkshire can reach some 771,000.

When the Evening Post put it to Mr Madejski that half a million listeners would lose out on hearing live matches, he said: “Okay, tell them to send me a pound each and I’ll give it [the rights] back to Radio Berkshire.”

By this morning, 768 fans had signed an online petition calling for the BBC to be reinstated, while internet fanzine Hobnob has been bombarded all weekend with messages from supporters unanimously blasting the move.

Jon Keen, who chairs STAR, said the group was extremely disappointed with the decision and urged the chairman to reconsider the move.

so he can change his decision and looking after Reading f.c ? how about reduced exposure?

fund raiser anyone ? :roll:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2006 12:41

That has just proved the shortsighted view the club have taken. For the sake of £35,000 their commentary will now not reach over half a million extra fans or potential fans. I think that could cost the club more than £35,000 in the long run.

His attitude comes across as "the players are greedy so I will be as well".

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 24 Jul 2006 12:41

That Friday Feeling

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/2002/2 ... d_the_beeb

I didn't think we payed our players over 15k a week :roll: :x

Oh and 'get them all to send me a pound then' - Doug Ellis anyone?

Doesn't matter, they offered 65k as that is the average, you don't pay £100 for a £65 MP3 player, do you?

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 24 Jul 2006 12:42

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 24 Jul 2006 13:28

That Friday Feeling
That Friday Feeling http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/2002/2002747/radio_berkshire_loses_live_royals_commentary

The Evening Post BBC Radio Berkshire has lost the rights to broadcast Royals matches as the club prepares to play its first season in the Premiership.

Rival station Reading 107fm, owned by Royals’ chairman John Madejski, has won exclusive rights to the coverage after a £65,000 bid by the Beeb was turned down by Reading FC.

The move means listeners outside Reading 107’s range will not be able to follow Royals games on air unless they are on national station BBC Radio Five Live.

A BBC spokesman said: “The club asked for a huge increase in their rights fee, over three times what we paid last season.

“We’ve offered a substantial increase, in line with similar clubs in the league, but are not prepared to meet the club’s financial demands.”

Reading 107 managing director Jeff Lee said: “This is great news for Reading 107. Our coverage of the biggest season in Reading Football Club’s history will be second to none.”

See Monday’s Evening Post for the full story and reaction

You can comment on the story here http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/commen ... id=2002747

or email Hilary Scott here hscott@reading-epost.co.uk

let's make sure they know how we feel.

No comments added to the article yet. Are the EP ignoring us?

EDIT: Comments now added! Be interesting to see how it's reported in today's paper.

How did this one get through?

I'm well pleased.. that Tim deller and Joel Hufford... used to give me the shits anyhow....goodluck to 107fm and The Royals of course...
peter, Winnersh
21/07/2006 at 17:49

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/comments/view.html?story_id=2002747&page=2

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2006 13:34

In purely business terms - how many companies in the entetainment business would forego a potential extra 500000 listeners just for a measly £35k?

His continual complaints over players being completely money driven with no regard for loyalty (where is the loyalty to BBCRB?) progressively ring rather hollow.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Jul 2006 13:41

I'd just like to say that I find Mr. Madejski's attitude rather disappointing, not to mention surprisingly short-sighted.

And that is all.

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 24 Jul 2006 13:42

Platypuss In purely business terms - how many companies in the entetainment business would forego a potential extra 500000 listeners just for a measly £35k?

His continual complaints over players being completely money driven with no regard for loyalty (where is the loyalty to BBCRB?) progressively ring rather hollow.

True - in business terms it is a basic mistake.

Which makes you think that there might be something else going on here ?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Jul 2006 13:43

We damn well know John, we damn well know! Wouldn't mind betting there are a fair number of supporters now spending a greater proportion of their disposable income on the club than you are!

Perhaps it's time for you to trade places and have a short spell as a normal football supporter trying to pay their bills and support the club they have followed from childhood.

"When the Evening Post put it to Mr Madejski that half a million listeners would lose out on hearing live matches, he said: “Okay, tell them to send me a pound each and I’ll give it [the rights] back to Radio Berkshire.” "

Well he's certainly not worried about how he comes across is he!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 24 Jul 2006 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 24 Jul 2006 13:43

Pedant mode on/

£35,000 / 514,000 people = 7p per person

/Pedant mode off

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2006 13:43

Maguire I'd just like to say that I find Mr. Madejski's attitude rather disappointing, not to mention surprisingly short-sighted.

And that is all.

Indeed - it's the sort of thing I'd have expected from a plum like Rupert Lowe.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 24 Jul 2006 13:46

Why didn't they invite 210 to bid ? I know it's format radio etc etc, but they have a greater broadcast area than 107 and could probably stump up the cash via advertising.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Jul 2006 13:48

Maguire I'd just like to say that I find Mr. Madejski's attitude rather disappointing, not to mention surprisingly short-sighted.

And that is all.

That follows his response at the fans forum where he refused to show any sympathy in relation to the massive increases in season ticket prices 'We are not going to apologise'.

Refreshingly blunt and honest in these days of spin or bordering on the arrogant and uncaring?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 24 Jul 2006 13:49

Platypuss In purely business terms - how many companies in the entetainment business would forego a potential extra 500000 listeners just for a measly £35k?

There must be a nice pot of £35k sitting around from the 0870 number alone.
Seriously £35k is a bargain for getting the fans respect back and giving access to commentary for 500,000 others.
All this 'best interest for the club' bollox is a smoke screen and shows little respect to fans intelligence.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 24 Jul 2006 13:49

Just to corect this error - I don't Chair STAR - Chris Witcher does.

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 24 Jul 2006 13:51

Skin

There must be a nice pot of £35k sitting around from the 0870 number alone.
Seriously £35k is a bargain for getting the fans respect back and giving access to commentary for 500,000 others.
All this 'best interest for the club' bollox is a smoke screen and shows little respect to fans intelligence.

A year ago the club were trying to get as many people on board as possible, now, it seems, they are trying to get rid of fans.

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 24 Jul 2006 13:51

BBCRB vs Hobnob footie match fundraiser anyone?

i know we wouldnt raise half a million ......... but enough to get shared coverage?

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 24 Jul 2006 13:58

I quite like the idea of fundraising - I know it probably should be against our principles to give in to the £££-grabbing ways of the "new" RFC, but if we could get a fighting fund off the ground it would give this subject lots of publicity and also give JM something to think about.

And never mind the "legally binding" contract with 107 - if there is one, I'm sure JM can figure a way to get out of it.

301 posts