Chris Makin

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 16 Aug 2006 10:43

As for our Premiership experience, the likes of Marcus, Stack, Ivar were at Premiership clubs for a while, but they never really played and even in Osters and Makin's cases, their experience is minimal and quite a while back now. It hardly counts in my book.

Yes i agree with your point above! The very fact that a host of these players had minimal prem experience could prove a sticking point. The fact that Makin has gone just depletes this- i would argue that Makin does have the neccesary experience which is important. It may have been a while back but its not like he played 10 odd games in the prem and that was it. At Oldham,Ipswich he played at the top regularliy. I agree that by the end of the season Wigan had got more bodies in, but my point was that at CB particularily they had experienced prem players they managed to get in, even when they were finding it tough to attract players to start with.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 16 Aug 2006 10:49

I do hope someone comes in, Gouldbourne certainly is nowhere near to first team standard yet.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 16 Aug 2006 10:50

dobcheck In terms of defence our two top targets were obviously lesoctt and mensah and unfortunatley those signings didnt come off. Who they had in mind to sign after that (presuming they had other targets) who knows? but i think bikey has to be worth a look and i would bet that if sc thinks john halls can do a job in centre midfield then possibly he could do a job at centre back, not that i wouldnt mind another centre back on the books before saturday though, but what will be will be.

I take you point about Coppell looking at who can cover different positions. Having said that i think the days of 'making do' and playing players out of their normal position (ala hughes and newman) should be put behind us. Mixing up players in different positions is an excuse not to get proper additional cover that position- to say JohnHalls and Gunnarson could step in at CB in the prem would be another huge gamble.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Aug 2006 10:53

A big thank you to Chris Makin. He'll go down in history as part of the squad that put us in the Premiership and was an excellent addition, and as Partridge says he could have easily played 40+ games last season.

SC has always said every transfer he makes is a gamble, and it's no different with Bikey. If anything it's less as it's only a loan signing and we have no obligation to sign him if we don't like him.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Aug 2006 10:53

Will Chris Makin be personally refunding all those who had his name and number printed on his shirt, I hope so, especially considering they're all familly and £80 isn't going to break the bank :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2006 10:53

holsgrove breaks a leg I agree that by the end of the season Wigan had got more bodies in, but my point was that at CB particularily they had experienced prem players they managed to get in, even when they were finding it tough to attract players to start with.

Those 10 signings were BEFORE the season started and most of them played in their FIRST game of the season.

The point you make about having some experience I totally agree with, in the two centre backs they bought in they had good top flight experience. Thats my biggest worry going into this new season, we just don't have any proven players at this level to guide the inexperienced players through.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Aug 2006 10:54

Hoop Blah
holsgrove breaks a leg I agree that by the end of the season Wigan had got more bodies in, but my point was that at CB particularily they had experienced prem players they managed to get in, even when they were finding it tough to attract players to start with.

Those 10 signings were BEFORE the season started and most of them played in their FIRST game of the season.

Before the end of August would be more appropriate.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 16 Aug 2006 10:54

I would say using a utility player at centre back would not be the scenario i would like to see.I was just trying to chuck a few ideas out there just to see possibly what people thought sc options could be come the end of the month.

Trigger

by Trigger » 16 Aug 2006 10:58

Chris Makin was excellent for us, especially when got a little run in the team in October when Murts was injured.

Top man. Thank you very much.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 16 Aug 2006 10:58

dobcheck I would say using a utility player at centre back would not be the scenario i would like to see.I was just trying to chuck a few ideas out there just to see possibly what people thought sc options could be come the end of the month.

fair point. I know its not for the want of trying but it has suprised me that thus far, Coppell has not sorted out the most obvious position being CB. Well still a few weeks to go, maybe we will be part of the scramble come the End Of August- i certainly hope so!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2006 11:02

Wycombe Royal
Hoop Blah

Before the end of August would be more appropriate.

It would for two of the ten signings yes, so pedantic point taken. The other 8 were all before the season.

The fact still remains that including Kavanagh they had 6 or 7 new players in the first fixture against Chelsea when compared to the team that most felt were the best in the Championship the season before. Obviously we're starting from a slighty better base having cruised the division last season but it doesn't stop me worrying about our lack of strengthening, especially when we've now lost a versatile defender who played a valuable role last season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2006 11:16

Hoop Blah As for our Premiership experience, the likes of Marcus, Stack, Ivar were at Premiership clubs for a while, but they never really played and even in Osters and Makin's cases, their experience is minimal and quite a while back now. It hardly counts in my book.

Indeed: Marcus, Ivar and Stack have never played in a single Prem match.

Glen was a sub 4 times on loan for Bolton - managing a grand total of 29 minutes of Prem football!

Most of Oster's Prem experience was from the bench and has had just 3 starts since 2000 (and managed to get sent off in one of them)

We are crying out for an experienced Prem campaigner for defence and/or midfield. The Henchoz type.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 16 Aug 2006 11:30

I agree with Platypus. When Jaidi and N'Gotty were available, we mad eno attempts to sign either of them. In my opinion, we were crying out for them.

I'd like to see someone like Matty Holland come in the midfield area.

I'm also surprised that there were no offers for Matt Upson. If we are willing to pay 3.4 for Mensah, surely a bid for Upson is worth it?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 Aug 2006 11:40

Isn't Upson injured at the moment?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2006 11:41

79Royal I agree with Platypus. When Jaidi and N'Gotty were available, we mad eno attempts to sign either of them. In my opinion, we were crying out for them.

I'm also surprised that there were no offers for Matt Upson. If we are willing to pay 3.4 for Mensah, surely a bid for Upson is worth it?

Agreed on the Jaidi and N'Gotty.

Isn't Upson out for another 3-6 months yet?

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 16 Aug 2006 11:45

79Royal I agree with Platypus. When Jaidi and N'Gotty were available, we mad eno attempts to sign either of them. In my opinion, we were crying out for them.

Good points. As it currently stands I think we are entering the Premiership with the least amount of new signings that any promoted club has ever done before--slightly worrying.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Aug 2006 11:46

Ruptured achilles, and he signed a new deal with City just after getting relegated.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 16 Aug 2006 12:04

Tilehurst Mike

Good points. As it currently stands I think we are entering the Premiership with the least amount of new signings that any promoted club has ever done before--slightly worrying.

...which would appear to go cap in hand with the fact that we are entering the premeirship on the back of a promotion by gaining the the most points that any club has ever done before....so perhaps not so worrying.

reading98

by reading98 » 16 Aug 2006 12:14

RFCSinceBury1971 Why the panic? Makin is not a regular in the first team. Its no big deal.

This is a huge blow he is one of two players with premiership experience great player to have on the fringe and as coppell said probably would of played more if Murty had not come back when he was injured. We need defensive players ASAP COPPELL!!!! :? :?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2006 12:17

The infantile obsession with "Prem experience" grows more wearing by the day.

Thanks for last season, Chris, you gave us good service whenever it was needed whilst being unfortunate not to have played more often.

I guess if we'd spent £5m on Emile Heskey there wouild be a few less soiled under pants in these parts....................

Reading fans showing a complete lack of faith in their own team, whatever next............