Portsmouth pitch invasion

Ashfordroyal

Portsmouth pitch invasion

by Ashfordroyal » 15 Mar 2007 11:27

Any one else at Elm Park when Porstmouth fans invaded the pitch from the South Bank to get to the Tilehurst end to smash 7 bells out of everyone?
I`m guessing it was about 76

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Mar 2007 12:27

Yep. The 'ref whistled for a free kick and Pompey took that as cue for the end of the match (about 5 minutes to go). They were mainly in the Southbank and stormed the Tilehurst End.

I was in the Tilehust End. There was a Reading fan having a go at the Pompey players all through the match. Nothing unusual there except that he was surrounded by Pompey fans (they took the whole ground (including the Southbank). They warned him to keep his mouth shut but he kept on having a go. In the melee (above) they stabbed him. Was in a coma. We ran for our lives (don't know if they finished the match or not). Perpetrator(s) went to prison for 2 years I think.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 15 Mar 2007 12:46

Very scary day, luckily I think I was too young for them to worry about.

Seem to remember they wrecked quite a lot of cars around the ground as well.

bcroyal

by bcroyal » 15 Mar 2007 13:22

Was kicked around Friar St by Pompey fans, I remember being outside the Butts Centre & seeing a copper trying to protect a Reading fan from getting a hiding when a load of Reading came out & started having a go at the Pompey fans & the copper had to try and protect the Pompey fans -never happened the copper left them to it.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 15 Mar 2007 13:29

boycey

by boycey » 15 Mar 2007 14:02

like to see them try on saturday .
They's have me , gimpy dave and one legged barry to deal with first .

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 Mar 2007 14:21

I was in the Tilehurst End. An invading little runt said "do you want that scarf?" (I was 15 and wearing a cool silk Reading scarf), I said I did and he said "right, do you want a broken nose?" I was going to try to be brave (he was a real little spotty weakling), but I realised he was with about five other bigger cahunts, who were doing similar robberies and so meekly gave him my scarf.

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 15 Mar 2007 14:36

I was sat on top of the wall at the back of the Tilehurst end, we jumped down into the alley at the back, must have been a good 12 foot, nearly broke my ankle, then legged it!

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 15 Mar 2007 14:59

why did you run?!! stand your ground a fight!!

fcking 6.57 my ass

:wink:

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 15 Mar 2007 15:07

boycey like to see them try on saturday .

Are you Skorpions?

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 15 Mar 2007 15:22

Yes your right Sharpy, should have stood and fought, but in moments like that, you forget that Reading schoolboys are harder than Pompey roughnecks!

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 15 Mar 2007 15:25

Ashfordroyal Yes your right Sharpy, should have stood and fought, but in moments like that, you forget that Reading schoolboys are harder than Pompey roughnecks!

:wink:

come upto twickers sometime....we'l sort out the local chelscum out :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Mar 2007 15:25

That Friday Feeling

Are you Skorpions?

the wind of change has swept all thoughts of thuggery away from modern football

boycey

by boycey » 15 Mar 2007 15:28

That Friday Feeling

Are you Skorpions?

no mate , but we'll be 5 handed saturday . mobbing up in the tickled squirrel at midday .
I think even pete with the gammy eye is up for this one .

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Mar 2007 15:31

I recall that day rather well as I still have a scar to prove it.

Got to the ground at around 1.40pm and the south bank was packed with Pompey fans already.

So stood on the Town End in the corner. Bit later a few more Reading fans started to arrive and I was stood in a group of around 20 on Town End.

Of course the Pompey fans spotted us and hundreds of them scaled the wall from the South Bank and came running straight at us across the pitch.

I was stood at the front of our group and turned round to see everyone else legging it.

Not being brave enough to take on 300 hundred Pompey fans on my own, I legged it back towards the entrance onto Norfolk road across the terracing.

Big mistake, the old wooden doors were shut and locked.

Everyone was panicking and trying to climb up the gates to get out clambering over each other.

Lot of people got out but I was not so lucky and took a load of punches and kicks from the Pompey fans and got smashed up against a gate (hence now barely visible scar on back.)

The weird think is, I can't really remember how I got out of it. I never got out of the ground. I think maybe the few police in the ground at the time got rid of the Pompey fans from the Town End or maybe they got bored kicking the sh*t out of us.

I watched the rest of the match in brown trousers until the invasion at the end when they went into the Tilehurst end where most of the Reading fans who'd bothered to stick around, were.

I'd take issue with the guy who said that somebody got stabbed on the Tilehurst End and was in a coma.

To my knowledge, the guy who was in a coma was attacked on the South Bank after he had tried to protect a girl from the Pompey fans and got nearly killed for his trouble.

The last think I remember about that awful day was making my way home and having to hide when hundreds of Pompey thugs stormed down the Wantage Road laying waste to anything in their sight.

There was some talk at the time that there was an almighty ruck in town later with some Reading effnics but don't know much about that.

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 16 Mar 2007 06:14

To my knowledge, the guy who ended up in coma was in the Tilehurst End at the front of the terrace by the goal, he was badly beaten, never heard of a stabbing, but it wouldnt surprise me.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Mar 2007 08:26

Ashfordroyal To my knowledge, the guy who ended up in coma was in the Tilehurst End at the front of the terrace by the goal, he was badly beaten, never heard of a stabbing, but it wouldnt surprise me.

There was no stabbing and to my knowledge he was on the south bank, but nothing would surprise me.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 16 Mar 2007 08:27

I wonder if all these fond memories will be retold in the matchday programme or if there will be a different spin on events so as not to embarrace the away support.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 16 Mar 2007 09:10

M4 Junction 11 I wonder if all these fond memories will be retold in the matchday programme or if there will be a different spin on events so as not to embarrace the away support.

tbf i doubt pompey would be embaressed they take alot of pride in their travelling firm

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Mar 2007 10:49

Was this the game where a whole load of them came charging across the pitch from the away seats just before kickoff? Jumped over the wall and into the Southbank before it all kicked off on the terraces?