The season starts now

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

The season starts now

by floyd__streete » 15 Aug 2007 23:23

In the cold light of day, for our team purchased from the bargain bin at Lidl to take 1 point from 2 games against Harrods food hall sides is a start at least. Everton at home is no easier in reality but there is a lesser financial gulf. We were more than competitive first half tonight and I want to see that again Saturday, anything less won't be good enough to get anything out of the game. I am sure that we will be - tactically speaking - more positive on Saturday too.

I am now going to eat my toasted bagle with Brussel's pate' before retiring to bed. Adieu.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 15 Aug 2007 23:25

ReLOLegation Candidates

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 15 Aug 2007 23:29

Second Season SyndROFLome

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 16 Aug 2007 09:54

you may say that, but I believe that we have started the season better than last year. My logic? If we can equal or better last seasons corresponding fixtures we will have a good saeson.

06/07 - (A) MU - 0 points - 07/08 - (A) MU - 1 point

06/07 - (H) CH - 0 points - 07/08 - (H) CH - 0 points

Already 1 point better than last year.

06/07 - (H) EV - 0 points - 07/08 - (H) EV - ??????

So after three games we will definately be better off than last year.

Be positive, Trust in God and all his decisions.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2007 09:57

That synopsis is all well and good, but it relies on us then matching our results from last year when we play Bolton and West Ham.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Aug 2007 09:59

I think looking back on the two games if we were offered 1 point, we'd have taken it. Saturday is a tough match for Reading but they are capable of getting something.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2007 10:00

we ran chelsea ragged in the 1st half
had loads of pressure, played great football, should have scored 2
chelseas superstars came back with 10 minutes of exceptional stuff
and we then managed to pile more pressure on even when down to ten men, with chelsea trying to play keep ball

great performance in my opinion

added to the superb defensive display from sunday im more than happy with our season so far

3 points on saturday would make it a dream start.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 16 Aug 2007 10:01

Both oof those results are acheivable. I was just trying to highlight that we dont have to be negative about the start we have had. Prior to the MU game I hoped for one point from the opening two games - I thought it would have come last night, but it was early.

Me, I'm quite happy at the moment. A big positive was Bikey (apart from his passing....)

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 16 Aug 2007 10:08

Alan Partridge Saturday is a tough match for Reading but they are capable of getting something.

..if Arteta and Johnson are out, sure.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Aug 2007 10:09

The whole year inn
Alan Partridge Saturday is a tough match for Reading but they are capable of getting something.

..if Arteta and Johnson are out, sure.

They both played at their place didn't they? in the 1-1?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 16 Aug 2007 10:11

Arteta missed that game IIRC.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2007 10:20

One Beer is never enough. Both oof those results are acheivable. I was just trying to highlight that we dont have to be negative about the start we have had. Prior to the MU game I hoped for one point from the opening two games - I thought it would have come last night, but it was early.

Me, I'm quite happy at the moment. A big positive was Bikey (apart from his passing....)

Yes they are but I'm not going to get carried away about us being in a "better position" until we have the points on the board.

Yep, if we get any result on Sat we're have got more points from these fixtures then last but if we then say lose at Bolton and draw with West Ham, we'll have say 3 points from 5 games and be in the bottom 3.

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 16 Aug 2007 10:23

I was just starting another thread saying exactly the same thing but I deleted it.

If we can get 3 points against Everton that will give us 4 more points than last season having played the same teams.

If we have 4 more points then it gives us a cushion meaning we don't have to exactly replicate the same results as last season.

hiro

by hiro » 16 Aug 2007 10:26

One Beer is never enough. you may say that, but I believe that we have started the season better than last year. My logic? If we can equal or better last seasons corresponding fixtures we will have a good saeson.

Does make a sense to me.

Remembering beating French Champ Lyon in Seoul a month ago, players should not be afraid of opponent too much, just concentrate on how they can bring the best out of each other, and good performance and right result may come.
Anything more than relegation is a huge achievement, so if we beat favourite Everton on Saturday, we may be able to dream something like top half finish again this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2007 10:28

Harps stay sharp I was just starting another thread saying exactly the same thing but I deleted it.

If we can get 3 points against Everton that will give us 4 more points than last season having played the same teams.

If we have 4 more points then it gives us a cushion meaning we don't have to exactly replicate the same results as last season.

Seriously looking at last season will just give you an ulcer. It's gone, forget about it. So we beat Everton and have 4 more points from these 3 games, great! Lose at Fulham (a), Bolton (a) and West Ham (a) and were suddenly 2 points down overall.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 16 Aug 2007 10:37

Strangely our results wont replicate themselves this season.

Its all about confidence. That point at Man Utd was vital for us.

Expecting a win a draw and a loss from next three games. Which would eman 5 points in 5 games - no too bad given the hard start - we then need one of our winning runs however.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 16 Aug 2007 10:41

Well so far we have taken 1 point from one of the superteams. All well and good, especially if we can pick up another one later on. If we can draw against the likes of Everton (maybe the occasional win) and beat the relegation candidates (like Bolton) more often than not then we'll be perfectly fine and we can all enjoy the season. I will, anyway.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 16 Aug 2007 10:45

One Beer is never enough. you may say that, but I believe that we have started the season better than last year. My logic? If we can equal or better last seasons corresponding fixtures we will have a good saeson.

I like it - positive mental attitude (though steady on the God there). Had exactly the same thought myself.

Saying that we might not replicate all the other results is beside the point entirely. The simple fact is that we've done better in these two fixtures. A good platform for improvement.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2007 10:47

Fred Sharpe's Nose

I like it - positive mental attitude (though steady on the God there). Had exactly the same thought myself.

Saying that we might not replicate all the other results is beside the point entirely. The simple fact is that we've done better in these two fixtures. A good platform for improvement.

If you want to do this properly, we're actually 10 points down as of now as we've lost the 11 points we gained from the relegated sides.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 16 Aug 2007 11:00

Stranded If you want to do this properly, we're actually 10 points down as of now as we've lost the 11 points we gained from the relegated sides.

Ah yes, but then we've got six fewer games to play --- :wink: ?!

If we ever felt inclined to "do this properly", rather than just enjoy another season of football, we would simply transfer the results against the relegated teams to fixtures against the promoted teams, then work out the mean length of pitches, crowd size, weather conditions, length of grass, state of confusion and disorder in the players' personal lives, pressure from the media, and other ancillary factors, and might then reach a satisfactory scientific conclusion. It's simple.