Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

527 posts
working class hero

Re: Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

by working class hero » 17 Aug 2008 18:57

We'll always be Reading, meaning we'll always be preyed upon by more prestigious clubs. No-one is immune from this anymore. SAF at Man Utd has stopped the rot slightly with the Ronaldo stance he's taken and partly so had M'ON at Villa. So whatever we do, whatever we spend, we'll always feel hard done by.

So SAF stood up to predatory Real.....

And in the past has tapped up how many players? And is Berbatov settled after all the SAF crap over the summer?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Aug 2008 18:58

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Big Ern it is equally plausible that our success was a by-product of his ultimate aim with the club of buying it, increasing the assets and then selling it off for a huge profit after using the clubs money to fund this investment in Stadium etc..

given that he bought the club in 1990, an era when even top clubs changed hands for peanuts (Michael Knighton "bought" Man Utd for £10 million in 1989) it seems absurd to suggest he would have thought he could have got £50 million or so from selling Reading at some time in the future.

Last year he was hoping for £150 million so no wonder buyers weren't knocking down his door in the rush.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 17 Aug 2008 20:26

Royal Lady Why is it absurd to have thought that? In all probability, irrespective of what he paid for us in 1990, he was hoping to make a big profit - he's certainly not in this game for the love of football.

because there was no money in football at the time. We were a third division club, in debt, with worse than average support. We had a ground that cost a lost in maintenance costs, and to build a new one, even a very cheap £5 million one, would cost well over 10 times the annual income of the club. Even if you got a club to the top division, there just weren't any investors about wanting to buy clubs, because they invariably lost money. Buying a lower division club was like throwing money down the drain.

There's a very good reason why there are investors in Asia and the USA looking to buy clubs now, but none at all back than. And nobody at all was looking at Reading and thinking we should build a 24,000 seat stadium as were were likely to get into the top division if we did.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Aug 2008 20:40

Buying into RFC got Mr Madejski a lot of local coverage, I dont think he did it to make money, however it has turned out that he may well make a turn.

dont see many saying he is not due a return, but many of us are not too happy with the continual theme that we have no money and need to keep things real, times have changed and football turns over a vast amount of monet at this level, however we need to stay in a sound finacial state, and no one is complaining about that, what we are unhappy about is the apparant weakneeses in the squad, and the seeming lack of action to rectify them.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Aug 2008 21:13

Super Kevin Bremner! So how many people ever thought we'd start a 2nd tier season as favourites to go up?

How many people, not having known 4 years ago what success was imminent, would have bitten someone's hand off if offered that.

And, who made that a reality? How did that become a reality?

By slowly building and empowering the likes of Coppell and Pardew to do a job however they wanted without going crazy with the cheque book.

It's a joke that people can even think about slating JM.

If I ever have millions of pounds then I'm buggered if I'll give a toss about how anybody thinks I should spend it.

And for the guy who replied that 'all we want is to get an LB and an RM in - not go mad with the money like Leeds', well you have missed the whole point of the thread. This isn't a 'why haven't we got the players in we need' debate, it's about Madjeski's attitude to the inappropriate way money is spent on the game.

And on that note, when we've needed to bring players in for certain positions in the past, we've done it, and almost always for sensible prices and with a successful outcome.

If you'd just seen 2.5m pissed down the drain on Greg Halford (albeit we got the money back) and then even more on Emerse Fae, then wouldn't you become synical about spending vast sums of cash?

Stand up and applaud JM's what I say.

Well said.

Streets

by Streets » 17 Aug 2008 21:15

Super Kevin Bremner! So how many people ever thought we'd start a 2nd tier season as favourites to go up?

How many people, not having known 4 years ago what success was imminent, would have bitten someone's hand off if offered that.

By slowly building and empowering the likes of Coppell and Pardew to do a job however they wanted without going crazy with the cheque book.

If I ever have millions of pounds then I'm buggered if I'll give a toss about how anybody thinks I should spend it.

And for the guy who replied that 'all we want is to get an LB and an RM in - not go mad with the money like Leeds', well you have missed the whole point of the thread. This isn't a 'why haven't we got the players in we need' debate, it's about Madjeski's attitude to the inappropriate way money is spent on the game.

And on that note, when we've needed to bring players in for certain positions in the past, we've done it, and almost always for sensible prices and with a successful outcome.

If you'd just seen 2.5m pissed down the drain on Greg Halford (albeit we got the money back) and then even more on Emerse Fae, then wouldn't you become synical about spending vast sums of cash?

Cracking post!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Aug 2008 21:20

Are you now agreeing with SKB, Jay? Only I thought you were moaning about Mr Mad yesterday and threatening not to go to the game, and saying you wouldn't clap him if he came out on the pitch??

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Aug 2008 21:30

That struck me as weird too, (almost schizo) but I gave Jay the benefit of showing due respect to a very eloquent and persuasive post.

Is he due that respect? :| Or is he just a complete tool?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Aug 2008 21:38

HNA can be a bizzarre place.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 17 Aug 2008 21:51

When Vision congratulated the eloquence of an opponent the other day, did anyone think "what a schizo"?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 17 Aug 2008 21:52

The 17 Bus HNA can be a bizzarre place.

Its always a bizzare place :lol:

Royal We
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal We » 17 Aug 2008 22:02

Isn't it just the spelling that's bizarre?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Aug 2008 22:06

nope I often speel stuff wrong and leave out apostrphys, it keeps some on their toes.

Royal We
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal We » 17 Aug 2008 22:36

The 17 Bus nope I often speel stuff wrong and leave out apostrphys, it keeps some on their toes.

fare enuff.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Aug 2008 23:22

Super Kevin Bremner! If I ever have millions of pounds then I'm buggered if I'll give a toss about how anybody thinks I should spend it.

This is one of the most irrelevant comments in the whole debate. You don't run a football club. Chairmen cannot afford this mentality if they want to keep paying customers.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Aug 2008 23:24

Streets

Cracking post!

On the same thread you say Madejski Out!

You change your tune more times than an orchaestra!

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 17 Aug 2008 23:41

FiNeRaIn
Super Kevin Bremner! If I ever have millions of pounds then I'm buggered if I'll give a toss about how anybody thinks I should spend it.

This is one of the most irrelevant comments in the whole debate. You don't run a football club. Chairmen cannot afford this mentality if they want to keep paying customers.

out of curiousity, how much, typically, do you think Madejski should pay out of his own pocket each season, either in this division or the premiership?

It's strange, but he's been saying for at least the past decade that he's never had any intention of being a Jack Walker type chairman and that the club should pay its own way, but people seem to be reacting to the news like its some kind of revelation.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Aug 2008 23:50

out of curiousity, how much, typically, do you think Madejski should pay out of his own pocket each season, either in this division or the premiership?

None, he should use the 8 million of the CLUBS money we got for transfers.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2008 11:19

FiNeRaIn

None, he should use the 8 million of the CLUBS money we got for transfers.

so in our 1st season in the top flight we made 6 million profit-despite the increased season ticket prices, and increased gates

this season we cut season ticket prices substatially, and are looking at having possibly a 5th less through th egates for each game

plus losing 22 million in TV money- and you think that the majority of that 8 million shouldnt be goint just to balance our books!

LOL!

football turns over a vast amount of monet at this level

cant remember who said this above-but can i just say profit>>>>>>turnover

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Aug 2008 11:22

Royal Rother That struck me as weird too, (almost schizo) but I gave Jay the benefit of showing due respect to a very eloquent and persuasive post.

Is he due that respect? :| Or is he just a complete tool?

I'm still struggling with how he got home so quickly from the game

527 posts