Reading FC DVD's

North Eaat royal
Location: Part of that defence that didn't turn up after 2.45 on Sunday

Reading FC DVD's

by North Eaat royal » 09 Mar 2010 10:51

A guy on Youtube has managed to put some games from the simod cup, 94/95 and 00/01 on youtube. Which makes me think a lot of these season reviews were released on video... as i don't have a video player doe's anybody know if these are available on DVD?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading FC DVD's

by Jackson Corner » 09 Mar 2010 12:42

Simple answer is no. Which is a real shame as I am sure like me there are plenty of fans who would like footage from EP or early days at the Mad stad on DVD.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Mar 2010 13:14

Jackson Corner Simple answer is no. Which is a real shame as I am sure like me there are plenty of fans who would like footage from EP or early days at the Mad stad on DVD.

Maybe, but sadly "plenty" isn't enough to make it worthwhile (i.e. cost-effective) for a commercial release.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Mar 2010 14:14

Dirk Gently
Jackson Corner Simple answer is no. Which is a real shame as I am sure like me there are plenty of fans who would like footage from EP or early days at the Mad stad on DVD.

Maybe, but sadly "plenty" isn't enough to make it worthwhile (i.e. cost-effective) for a commercial release.

The club could release them for download however......

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 09 Mar 2010 16:17

Wimb
Dirk Gently

The club could release them for download however......

They've stuck a bit of historical stuff up on Player, but I think it's the time needed to convert them all that would cause the problems I think.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Mar 2010 16:53

Winchester Royal
They've stuck a bit of historical stuff up on Player, but I think it's the time needed to convert them all that would cause the problems I think.

It would take less time then you think, the club has already produced many season review DVD's and the conversion of the VHS into digital format wouldn't take too long either.

Plus if it makes the club a few quid isn't it worth the time? I know If I could buy a digital copy of the Simod Final for £3-4 I would.

I suppose the only sticking point would actually be over who owns the rights, and whether the club actually has the right to sell such footage for a fee?

Magnus

by Magnus » 09 Mar 2010 17:33

Can't imagine them selling more than double digits for such an offering - from a purely commercial viewpoint Dirk is right, this has no legs.

Not to say it shouldn't happen however, but I don't think the club are the right people to produce this. Not sure what STAR do but perhaps they could get involved?

North Eaat royal

by North Eaat royal » 09 Mar 2010 20:48

well the guy that has put this onto youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/user/strapuk10#p/u/9/PGCgRUXxQWY

... has obviously converted VHS to digital to put it onto youtube so it can't be stupidly hard to do?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 10 Mar 2010 02:59

You would need permision from the club as they own the rights to any RFC footage. Even to transfer over the videos from 93-95 to DVD Would not cost that much to do? Just the printing and packaging I would guess they would sell at least 500 at £15 each? £7,500

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Mar 2010 07:43

I thought the footage was owned by the TV stations, feel sure that ITV South and meridian own some of it.

Magnus

by Magnus » 10 Mar 2010 10:26

Jackson Corner You would need permision from the club as they own the rights to any RFC footage. Even to transfer over the videos from 93-95 to DVD Would not cost that much to do? Just the printing and packaging I would guess they would sell at least 500 at £15 each? £7,500

Not that simple.

If you're paying £15 a pop, you're going to expect a certain production standard - you can't just have grainy VHS footage with no commentary or preamble.

Plus it would cost a certain amount to design and print covers for the DVD case as well, it's not pure profit. And 500 sales is ambitious.

Not saying money can't be made, but the amount would be tiny so from a commercial point of view it's not really worth it. Far better off designing another mini kit or fleece for example.

Magnus

by Magnus » 10 Mar 2010 10:27

Harpers So Solid Crew I thought the footage was owned by the TV stations, feel sure that ITV South and meridian own some of it.

I imagine every man and his dog would expect a cut to be honest, the TV stations, the football league, the FA.

Corporate fat cats.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Mar 2010 12:21

easier to just find a nobber with the facilities to copy em.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 Mar 2010 01:08

Magnus
Jackson Corner You would need permision from the club as they own the rights to any RFC footage. Even to transfer over the videos from 93-95 to DVD Would not cost that much to do? Just the printing and packaging I would guess they would sell at least 500 at £15 each? £7,500

Not that simple.

If you're paying £15 a pop, you're going to expect a certain production standard - you can't just have grainy VHS footage with no commentary or preamble.

Plus it would cost a certain amount to design and print covers for the DVD case as well, it's not pure profit. And 500 sales is ambitious.

Not saying money can't be made, but the amount would be tiny so from a commercial point of view it's not really worth it. Far better off designing another mini kit or fleece for example.

I was refering to the 2 videos the club bought out for the 93-94 94-95 season's. They already have commentry on them so it would just be case of copying them and re printing or photo copying the original sleeves. You could even do a double dvd from those two seasons and maybe throw the play off final in as well? I'm sure there would be a few takers even just for the Elm Park nostalga value?

fridays child

by fridays child » 11 Mar 2010 09:14

If it wasn't for copyright issues...:cry:

Magnus

by Magnus » 11 Mar 2010 11:32

I didn't realise that. If they've already been on sale, albeit in a now defunct format, then surely the potential paying audience is even smaller.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Mar 2010 16:24

Magnus I didn't realise that. If they've already been on sale, albeit in a now defunct format, then surely the potential paying audience is even smaller.

Exactly why a digital download solution makes far more sense IMHO

Magnus

by Magnus » 11 Mar 2010 16:39

You really think people that own the VHS will shell out £15 for a DVD of the same thing?

North Eaat royal

by North Eaat royal » 11 Mar 2010 21:43

Magnus You really think people that own the VHS will shell out £15 for a DVD of the same thing?

how many people have a VHS player still? and if they do come 2012 with the digital switchover they won't be too many kicking around so there will be more of a market

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Mar 2010 21:46

North Eaat royal how many people have a VHS player still?

We have - primarily due to the amount of Disney films we have on video for the kids. Never seen the point in sheeling out for the same films on DVD when the VHS player works fine.