-5 massively underwhelmed
15%

Total votes: 27
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Euro 2024 whelmgage

by Silver Fox » 18 Jun 2024 09:41

genome Anyone else fed up of Laura Woods' face

A long time ago, if you're squinting that much you should probably look into getting glasses

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 18 Jun 2024 09:50

The only thing irritating me about the tournament so far is Rio Ferdinand. So, so many words, telling us so, so little. I don't care how great a player you were if you can't give viewers any actual insight into the match/tactics you shouldn't be a pundit. Just let Fabregas talk and try and learn from him.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 19 Jun 2024 13:00

Fabregas has been excellent, probably the pick of the pundits. Dealt with Micah's Foden nonsense perfectly.

Would like to see Moyes and Frank given more airtime. When does Ange start his stint with ITV?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jun 2024 15:53

Finally worked out why I'm not whelmed by this tournament in the slightest. As others have said it's the lack of any jeopardy for anyone half decent i.e. finish 3rd and you're more than likely to progress, it just kills a lot of the interest in games. Really should go to 32 teams and 8 groups of 4 with 2 progressing rather than this whole load of :|

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Jun 2024 18:00

Whore Jackie Would like to see Moyes and Frank given more airtime. When does Ange start his stint with ITV?

Should be no surprise that generally managers >>> ex-players at being pundits. After all it is their job to analyse and understand different tactics/formations and get those idea across in a way that players can understand. They'll be exceptions to that of course.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jun 2024 21:00

Sutekh Finally worked out why I'm not whelmed by this tournament in the slightest. As others have said it's the lack of any jeopardy for anyone half decent i.e. finish 3rd and you're more than likely to progress, it just kills a lot of the interest in games. Really should go to 32 teams and 8 groups of 4 with 2 progressing rather than this whole load of :|

Been talking about exactly that at home tonight

The rules governing the third place qualifiers are … :roll: :lol: :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2024 08:36

Franchise FC
Sutekh Finally worked out why I'm not whelmed by this tournament in the slightest. As others have said it's the lack of any jeopardy for anyone half decent i.e. finish 3rd and you're more than likely to progress, it just kills a lot of the interest in games. Really should go to 32 teams and 8 groups of 4 with 2 progressing rather than this whole load of :|

The flip of that is it means there are close to zero dead rubbers in the final round of games. If it was just top 2 going through, then Scotland v Hungary would just be a glorified friendly baring a 6 goal swing. Still not a massive fan esp as we end up with 2 Round of 16 games involving sides that finished 2nd.

Biggest flaw of the 3rd qualifers was shown when Portugal won it in 2016 - they didn't win a game in normal time until they beat Wales in the semi - qualified after 3 draws, ET win in 2nd, Pens in QF. No team should stand a chance to win the tournament if they fail to win a game in the groups and finish outside the top 2.

In good news for Scotland - getting to 4 points should be enough to get through as in both 24 team tournaments at least 1 team has made it through with 3 points.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Jun 2024 13:47

Stranded
Franchise FC

The flip of that is it means there are close to zero dead rubbers in the final round of games. If it was just top 2 going through, then Scotland v Hungary would just be a glorified friendly baring a 6 goal swing. Still not a massive fan esp as we end up with 2 Round of 16 games involving sides that finished 2nd.

Biggest flaw of the 3rd qualifers was shown when Portugal won it in 2016 - they didn't win a game in normal time until they beat Wales in the semi - qualified after 3 draws, ET win in 2nd, Pens in QF. No team should stand a chance to win the tournament if they fail to win a game in the groups and finish outside the top 2.

In good news for Scotland - getting to 4 points should be enough to get through as in both 24 team tournaments at least 1 team has made it through with 3 points.

Bad news for Scotland - they’re going to have to win a game to get that

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2024 15:25

Anyone elses whelmgauge collapsed after England yesterday? I can't be arsed with the Euros today

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2024 15:29

genome Anyone elses whelmgauge collapsed after England yesterday? I can't be arsed with the Euros today

You'll have until Tuesday to start being arsed, though I'm sure England's probable draw with Slovenia will finally put an end to everybody's whelm - and any last remaining goodwill to Southgate.

But, on the bright side, at least we're not Belgians.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Jun 2024 16:21

Sutekh
genome Anyone elses whelmgauge collapsed after England yesterday? I can't be arsed with the Euros today

You'll have until Tuesday to start being arsed, though I'm sure England's probable draw with Slovenia will finally put an end to everybody's whelm - and any last remaining goodwill to Southgate.

But, on the bright side, at least we're not Belgians.

Nice waffles, frites, beers etc

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Jun 2024 17:11

Lost pretty much all my enthusiasm for it somehow.

Maybe I just need a few pints, a controversial refereeing decision and a narrow victory against a side we're expected to be comfortably to put me back on track.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 25 Jun 2024 20:50

Green Lost pretty much all my enthusiasm for it somehow.

Maybe I just need a few pints, a controversial refereeing decision and a narrow victory against a side we're expected to be comfortably to put me back on track.

Maybe purchase a white plastic chair and practice throwing it in your back garden

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2024 20:56

The sooner England go out and I can focus on the Germans the better right now.