England - the future....

1644 posts
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Nov 2020 20:12

2-0 England after 25 minutes. Iceland now with a MOUNTain to climb.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sanguine » 25 Nov 2020 12:35

Good stat this.

When Jude Bellingham came on for his England debut against Ireland, he became one of the 4th pair of non-British club teammates to appear at the same time for England, with his Dortmund team-mate Jadon Sancho already on the pitch. The other such pairs are David Beckham and Michael Owen (Real Madrid, 7 times), Mark Hateley and Ray Wilkins (Milan, 4), and Hateley and Glenn Hoddle (Monaco, 1).

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by South Coast Royal » 25 Nov 2020 15:09

Sanguine Good stat this.

When Jude Bellingham came on for his England debut against Ireland, he became one of the 4th pair of non-British club teammates to appear at the same time for England, with his Dortmund team-mate Jadon Sancho already on the pitch. The other such pairs are David Beckham and Michael Owen (Real Madrid, 7 times), Mark Hateley and Ray Wilkins (Milan, 4), and Hateley and Glenn Hoddle (Monaco, 1).

My only comment on this is that it is still the case after so many years of International football that so few English players plie their trade abroad.
Bellingham and Sancho are still very much the exceptions.

I suspect that nothing will change much whilst the Premier League remains just about the biggest gravy train in world football.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sanguine » 25 Nov 2020 15:14

South Coast Royal
Sanguine Good stat this.

My only comment on this is that it is still the case after so many years of International football that so few English players plie their trade abroad.
Bellingham and Sancho are still very much the exceptions.

I suspect that nothing will change much whilst the Premier League remains just about the biggest gravy train in world football.

First, you're right, still few players of international calibre abroad (just six across the senior and u21 squads - Bellingham, Sancho, Trippier, Panzo, Musiala, Sessegnon [loan]). Second, I'd perceived this to be different, with it being so hard for young English players to break into PL and Championship sides, I expected we'd be seeing more and more players making the move abroad.

1644 posts