World Cup Build Up Thread

208 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: World Cup Build Up Thread

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jun 2014 20:20

Never felt so disinterested/disenfranchised about a WC ever.

I do think that Roy is doing all the right things, but, with what he has at his disposal, we are hardly likely to capture the admiration of the world stage.

I do hope they do well.

I do hope that they don't get crucified when they inevitably fail.....

I do believe that the young nucleus of this squad will serve us well in four years time.

Meanwhile, as a preferrence, and to quote Public Enemy....Don't believe the hype

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jun 2014 20:34

Genuinely excited about this world cup. And England.

Not about our chances to do well obviously. But about the chance to see the next generation coming through who might be able to make us serious competitors in a future major tournament.

Our group is also fascinating. You'd probably expect Italy and Uruguay to go through, but we have a chance. All three of these teams are capable of screwing up badly enough through hilarious shitness to give Costa Rica an outside chance of sneaking through past two of them. Although it is extremely unlikely.

Excited to see how Germany do and to hopefully see some teams that play exciting football put the tedious dirge from Spain to shame.

Woo hoo!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Jun 2014 21:58

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 11 Jun 2014 22:03

I think this going to be a gr8 world cup. I genuinely believe the last one was ruined by the ball, every shot from outside the area flew way over the bar. From what I've seen so far, the ball from this one stays true when there's a long shot.

A host with a huge football tradition, South American sides likely to over perform compared to mediocre european sides. Memories of one of my favourite tournaments - Argentina '78. I suspect England will crash and burn but really looking forward to it.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Jun 2014 22:04

Schards#2 I think this going to be a gr8 world cup. I genuinely believe the last one was ruined by the ball, every shot from outside the area flew way over the bar. From what I've seen so far, the ball from this one stays true when there's a long shot.

A host with a huge football tradition, South American sides likely to over perform compared to mediocre european sides. Memories of one of my favourite tournaments - Argentina '78. I suspect England will crash and burn but really looking forward to it.

Plus 1.... But I think we might surprise a few.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 11 Jun 2014 22:38

AthleticoSpizz
Meanwhile, as a preferrence, and to quote Public Enemy....Don't believe the hype

What fucking hype?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Jun 2014 22:40

I can't wait for the WC, being in Brazil is perfect as it means I can watch every game from the comfort of my inflatable England chair 8)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jun 2014 19:21

AthleticoSpizz Never felt so disinterested/disenfranchised about a WC ever. WRONG I'm loving watching the Big Boys struggle a bit against some of the lesser nations.

I do think that Roy is doing all the right things, but, with what he has at his disposal, we are hardly likely to capture the admiration of the world stage.

I do hope they do well.

I do hope that they don't get crucified when they inevitably fail.....

I do believe that the young nucleus of this squad will serve us well in four years time.
just thought I'd bounce it back out there...ignore...as usual

208 posts