Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Womens euros 2022 thread

by Dirk Gently » 01 Aug 2022 12:19

Greatwesternline
Sanguine
Greatwesternline
Welcome to capitalism.

I understand capitalism. We chat about stuff here. You're intelligent. I can be at times. Up to you, but you don't need to do the patronising shit.

In the football ecosystem, elements of 'capitalism' can be affected, is my point.

I wasn't trying to be patronising. There's just a blur here between the warm afterglow of a tournament success and the reality of how sport works. Everyone love the British gold medal winning velodrome stars, but outside of the olympic fortnight they survive on lottery grants which are about £20k a year. plus funding for coaches.

It is capitalism. The football ecosystem is a ruthless capitalist machine. Clubs cut the entire womens set up when in administration because it doesnt pay any bills.

Maybe football should be applauded more for being the only sport outside of tennis that has established a professional womens sport without government subsidy.

But ... there's a whole football promotion & journalism ecosystem geared up to promote and report football (with a global value greater than football itself, incidentally). This is always voraciously looking for new markets and new things to write about/promote/monetise.

Once that properly gets its hooks into women's football and puts its full weight behind it things could be quite different than it would be for cycling, as there just isn't that same promotion & journalism mechanism in place for a few people on bikes. But the world of consumers understands football already, so it'll probably be an easy sell.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Aug 2022 12:29

Greatwesternline
Sanguine
Greatwesternline
Welcome to capitalism.

I understand capitalism. We chat about stuff here. You're intelligent. I can be at times. Up to you, but you don't need to do the patronising shit.

In the football ecosystem, elements of 'capitalism' can be affected, is my point.

I wasn't trying to be patronising. There's just a blur here between the warm afterglow of a tournament success and the reality of how sport works. Everyone love the British gold medal winning velodrome stars, but outside of the olympic fortnight they survive on lottery grants which are about £20k a year. plus funding for coaches.

It is capitalism. The football ecosystem is a ruthless capitalist machine. Clubs cut the entire womens set up when in administration because it doesnt pay any bills.

Maybe football should be applauded more for being the only sport outside of tennis that has established a professional womens sport without government subsidy.

Well put.
I read somewhere that the women were due to get a £50,000 bonus for winning and now presumably those elite players will earn loads more from commercial deals.

It is the ultimate in capitalism in that winners reap big rewards.
The shame about the men's game at many levels is that players can earn comfortable salaries in excess of £1 million per year without winning anything and actually not being very good.

I tend to agree with Dirk that when it all dies down the legacy may be as little as that post 2012 London Olympics and the interest was compounded by being broadcast on mainstream TV at no additional cost.

It's just a game and ,as with rugby, fine if girls want to do it but it is no more important IMHO to the lives of girls than encouraging them to eat and drink well and to exercise, regardless of which form of exercise is taken.

BTW the result was surely written in the stars with the 2 star Spanish players being injured and then Germany's Harry Kane getting injured in the warm -up.
Well done ladies and 9/2 wasn't a bad price at the outset for a team playing on home ground that had made the last 4 semi-finals.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 Aug 2022 12:47

Dirk Gently
Greatwesternline
Sanguine

But ... there's a whole football promotion & journalism ecosystem geared up to promote and report football (with a global value greater than football itself, incidentally). This is always voraciously looking for new markets and new things to write about/promote/monetise.

Once that properly gets its hooks into women's football and puts its full weight behind it things could be quite different than it would be for cycling, as there just isn't that same promotion & journalism mechanism in place for a few people on bikes. But the world of consumers understands football already, so it'll probably be an easy sell.

Football probably already gets too much coverage compared to all other sports as it is. There is now men's football 7 days a week on TV. It'll be very hard for the women's game to ever try and get coverage when the men's game is so grabby at taking up the TV schedule.

The women's game merely experiences what its like to be any other sport other than football and perhaps F1 and tennis. Almost no coverage and almost no money. When the men's game has placed itself on prime time tv every day of the week there is probably no room for domestic women's football in the public's attention span, similarly to mens county cricket and to a large extent mens domestic rugby. I do think there is enough interest to sustain a england cricket team style set up, or england mens rugby team. Mass attention for the international team at big events, but not much more.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Aug 2022 13:09

Dirk Gently
Greatwesternline
Sanguine

Spot on IMO.

It’s going to be massive.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Aug 2022 13:09

Greatwesternline
Dirk Gently
Greatwesternline

Football probably already gets too much coverage compared to all other sports as it is. There is now men's football 7 days a week on TV. It'll be very hard for the women's game to ever try and get coverage when the men's game is so grabby at taking up the TV schedule.

The women's game merely experiences what its like to be any other sport other than football and perhaps F1 and tennis. Almost no coverage and almost no money. When the men's game has placed itself on prime time tv every day of the week there is probably no room for domestic women's football in the public's attention span, similarly to mens county cricket and to a large extent mens domestic rugby. I do think there is enough interest to sustain a england cricket team style set up, or england mens rugby team. Mass attention for the international team at big events, but not much more.

Yes, but there's a media geared up to cover football and a lot of what is on 7 days a week is repetitive or scraping the barrel. The football media would jump at the chance to have more options to cover - especially though the summer - so I can certainly see them pushing the women's football agenda further into the mainstream. And when they do that, advertising revenue and profile will follow. If nothing else, this gives advertisers and broadcasters an opportunity to use football to sell to another sector of the public who thus far have been pretty much untouched by football advertising.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 Aug 2022 13:15

Dirk Gently
Greatwesternline
Dirk Gently

Yes, but there's a media geared up to cover football and a lot of what is on 7 days a week is repetitive or scraping the barrel. The football media would jump at the chance to have more options to cover - especially though the summer - so I can certainly see them pushing the women's football agenda further into the mainstream. And when they do that, advertising revenue and profile will follow. If nothing else, this gives advertisers and broadcasters an opportunity to use football to sell to another sector of the public who thus far have been pretty much untouched by football advertising.

Perhaps, but if you look at Germany, which has won 8 womens Euros and two womens world cups, and doesnt have other sports such as cricket and rugby U or rugby L to block up the coverage, and is a bigger economy than England, and yet still women's football cant get a look in tv wise. Maybe english people will be inherently more interested in women's football than german people are, once success is established, im not sure why that would be the case though.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Aug 2022 13:19

Greatwesternline
Dirk Gently
Greatwesternline

Perhaps, but if you look at Germany, which has won 8 womens Euros and two womens world cups, and doesnt have other sports such as cricket and rugby U or rugby L to block up the coverage, and is a bigger economy than England, and yet still women's football cant get a look in tv wise. Maybe english people will be inherently more interested in women's football than german people are, once success is established, im not sure why that would be the case though.

I think you're not appreciating the point that I'm making, which isn't about the intrinsic appeal of the sport that will make it grow, but is more about how the promotion and exploitation of it by all those who exist to make money out of football will drive it to a bigger better place. Once people are constantly being told how big it is as a sport and how big the stars are by the football media and by advertisers, they'll happily believe it - just as they do with a vast multitude of reality TV shows.

In football the marketing drives the appeal, not the other way round.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 Aug 2022 13:22

Dirk Gently
Greatwesternline
Dirk Gently

I think you're not appreciating the point that I'm making, which isn't about the intrinsic appeal of the sport that will make it grow, but is more about how the promotion and exploitation of it by all those who exist to make money out of football will drive it to a bigger better place. Once people are constantly being told how big it is as a sport and how big the stars are by the football media and by advertisers, they'll happily believe it - just as they do with a vast multitude of reality TV shows.

In football the marketing drives the appeal, not the other way round.

It's a good point and one i will ponder.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 01 Aug 2022 15:51

Our American ladies are very successful and they were able to take mens sponsorship money for themselves to be paid equally. Maybe England women should be demanding some of the mens football pie. They deserve it.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 01 Aug 2022 16:39

Greatwesternline
karbota Congrats to the English Women's football team, a great win over the old enemy, also congrats due to both teams for ditching the Political BLM knee gesture, Gareth Southgate please take note.

The did the knee. You blind racist. Right at the moment the RAF did the fly over.

Can someone please translate into English?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2022 18:39

Many thanks to gwl for coming on here to bask in the glow of success of the Lionesses by talking about capitalism and how women footballers shouldn't be paid more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2022 18:41

karbota
Greatwesternline
karbota Congrats to the English Women's football team, a great win over the old enemy, also congrats due to both teams for ditching the Political BLM knee gesture, Gareth Southgate please take note.

The did the knee. You blind racist. Right at the moment the RAF did the fly over.

In English, it reads: "fuck off you massive racist bigot arsehat."

Hth.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 01 Aug 2022 19:02

Snowflake Royal
karbota
Greatwesternline

In English, it reads: "fuck off you massive racist bigot arsehat."

Hth.

Link, please?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Aug 2022 08:49

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Aug 2022 09:28

No bus parade for the team is pretty shabby, ffs.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Aug 2022 10:25

Sanguine No bus parade for the team is pretty shabby, ffs.

Perhaps that has been put on hold until after their World Cup.

Incidentally, I never understood the OTT reactions to our 2005 Ashes victory when we won one series and it wasn't as if we hadn't won the Ashes before.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Aug 2022 10:59

South Coast Royal

Incidentally, I never understood the OTT reactions to our 2005 Ashes victory when we won one series and it wasn't as if we hadn't won the Ashes before.

I think they over-reacted because the Aussies had been completely dominant for so long at that time.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Aug 2022 11:11

South Coast Royal

Massively OTT, and didn't they all get MBEs or something? Ridiculous.

But if the parade was well attended and gave a nice feel good factor for a short while who are we to moan I guess?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Aug 2022 11:53

Royal Rother
South Coast Royal

But if the parade was well attended and gave a nice feel good factor for a short while who are we to moan I guess?

It's probably an age thing where you and Dirk seem to be in the same camp as me.
As you say, if it makes people happy then why not and put it down to people nowadays ,desperately needing that sense of belonging and a requirement for a feelgood fix which maybe they don't get from their own lives, with an element of National pride thrown in.

BTW, talking of open bus tops I associate them with the seaside but I do remember going on one now and again when we had trips into Reading town centre from Infant and Junior schools to line Broad Street and waive and cheer as a Royal (usually the Queen or Margaret) drove through waiving back having come to the town for some ceremony.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Aug 2022 12:12

South Coast Royal
Royal Rother
South Coast Royal

It's probably an age thing where you and Dirk seem to be in the same camp as me.
As you say, if it makes people happy then why not and put it down to people nowadays ,desperately needing that sense of belonging and a requirement for a feelgood fix which maybe they don't get from their own lives, with an element of National pride thrown in.

There may well be a political dimension to it, also, This was not too long after Blair had his Britpop-inspired Downing St receptions etc - probably just another facet of trying to big up Britain as a "brand".

176 posts