What one thing about modern football annoys you most?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: What one thing about modern football annoys you most?

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Aug 2022 12:17

windermereROYAL
SouthDownsRoyal I’m sure it’s been covered but players who are fouled and go down and roll around like they have been shot then as soon as they get the free kick or penalty they stop and get up.

Saw it again on the Wolves Fulham game, bit 50/50 but Fulham player brought down in penalty area, but not big contact and clearly no injury but he was rolling around like he was In dire pain, whistle goes, penalty, oh I’m ok now.

It’s a bit boring

Same when they go own holding their faces when are brushed by an arm or not near the face at all.
In the same game Mitrovic committed a bookable foul from behind and then stuck his head in the guys face, both got a yellow, but he should have got two plus a red.

Agree re face.

And yes I saw the mitrovic incident, the foul plus getting in his face should have been a red

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Aug 2022 14:53

VAR

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Aug 2022 22:40

Players not celebrating when scoring for their current side against an old team . Sure fine if you’re Denis Law scoring to send your old club down or maybe if you’ve been at a club for over ten years and got a testimonial but otherwise no. People say it’s a lack of respect for your old club but I say not celebrating is an ever bigger lack of respect for your new club .

I think Conte is a lunatic but part of me was very happy with how ballistic he went when Spurs scored today .

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Aug 2022 13:50

Vision Players not celebrating when scoring for their current side against an old team . Sure fine if you’re Denis Law scoring to send your old club down or maybe if you’ve been at a club for over ten years and got a testimonial but otherwise no. People say it’s a lack of respect for your old club but I say not celebrating is an ever bigger lack of respect for your new club .

I think Conte is a lunatic but part of me was very happy with how ballistic he went when Spurs scored today .

That’s right up there for me.
If you didn’t want to leave, why did you ?
If you were told to leave then celebrate away

It’s there with kissing the badge then leaving the following week

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Aug 2022 15:18

Got another one - how could i forget and it grates with me big time...

putting their hand over the mouth before, during, after a game - when speaking to opponents or team mates. I get why, but it irks me.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 Aug 2022 23:39

paultheroyal Got another one - how could i forget and it grates with me big time...

putting their hand over the mouth before, during, after a game - when speaking to opponents or team mates. I get why, but it irks me.

This is quite a new thing I think, but agree

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 Aug 2022 23:39

When did kick off become one man kicking the ball back? Used to always be two at the centre circle

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Aug 2022 08:26

SouthDownsRoyal When did kick off become one man kicking the ball back? Used to always be two at the centre circle

Few years ago, they removed the law which said the ball had to go forward at kick off.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Aug 2022 10:09

Well the players leaving the pitch when subbed at the nearest exit point lasted a long time didn`t it?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Aug 2022 10:49

the intentional over complication of football discussions. I swear some people try to make it sound vastly more complex than it is to then try and make out they are some kind of football brainiac for understanding it better than anyone else.

Assist stats. Total and utter nonsense. And because the assist stat lovers weren't making it enough of a conversation they have started trying to bundle them in with goal stats to create a single 'g&a' number or even 'goal involvement' number. It's an attempt to pretend that assists have an equal value as goals.

Roy Keane pointing his finger at someone, which seems to have became mythologised as the most violent, explosive & jaw dropping moment in sport. A bloke pointed his finger at another bloke.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Aug 2022 11:02

Winston Biscuit the intentional over complication of football discussions. I swear some people try to make it sound vastly more complex than it is to then try and make out they are some kind of football brainiac for understanding it better than anyone else.

Assist stats. Total and utter nonsense. And because the assist stat lovers weren't making it enough of a conversation they have started trying to bundle them in with goal stats to create a single 'g&a' number or even 'goal involvement' number. It's an attempt to pretend that assists have an equal value as goals.

Roy Keane pointing his finger at someone, which seems to have became mythologised as the most violent, explosive & jaw dropping moment in sport. A bloke pointed his finger at another bloke.

Your break from here has turned you into the king of awful takes on the game. You generally can't score a goal without an assist.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 16 Aug 2022 12:52

That is true, but not all assists are equal. And that's where assist stats become questionable. Does the 'value' of, for example, De Bruyne's assist for Haaland's second goal against West Ham equal James Milner's assist for Luis Diaz last night? Not in the same ballpark, yet the PL rank them equally.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Aug 2022 13:03

Whore Jackie That is true, but not all assists are equal. And that's where assist stats become questionable. Does the 'value' of, for example, De Bruyne's assist for Haaland's second goal against West Ham equal James Milner's assist for Luis Diaz last night? Not in the same ballpark, yet the PL rank them equally.

Yeah that's my line of thinking.

Assist stats make all assists of equal value, and then creating a combined assist and goal stat puts them on the same value level as goals.

Why should a defender who has taken the ball from the goalkeeper and casually knocked it 10 yards further forward to a midfielder who then runs and puts it in from 30 yards, have the same value attached as, say, De Boer's pass to Bergkamp for his 98 WC goal, or TAA's quick thinking corner for the 4th against Barca?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Aug 2022 13:05

Yeah, that's fair, but I'd suggest that the proportion of assists that don't really involve the assist-er doing much is quite small. A through-ball, a cross, a cut-back from the by-line, winning an attacking header, a one-two - all valuable contributions to a goal.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Aug 2022 13:46

windermereROYAL Well the players leaving the pitch when subbed at the nearest exit point lasted a long time didn`t it?

on a par with goalkeepers holding onto the ball for 6 seconds.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Aug 2022 14:10

paultheroyal
windermereROYAL Well the players leaving the pitch when subbed at the nearest exit point lasted a long time didn`t it?

on a par with goalkeepers holding onto the ball for 6 seconds.

I don't mind the 6 seconds, it's the 20 seconds that they regularly get away with that gets me.

Crowds should start counting immediately a keeper gets he ball

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Aug 2022 21:20

The fact the ball is in play for less than hour. Think Villa managed a game that was 47 minutes in total.

Wish they would bring back the 10 second rule for keepers that they used 20 odd years ago. What happened to that?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Aug 2022 10:49

Ascotexgunner The fact the ball is in play for less than hour. Think Villa managed a game that was 47 minutes in total.

Wish they would bring back the 10 second rule for keepers that they used 20 odd years ago. What happened to that?

The refs have been instructed to clamp down on keepers taking too much time, and multi ball has been introduced.

Now to the main gripe that I started this thread with, QPR V Blackpool last night, 5 minutes added time, Pool sub 4 minutes 45 seconds, ref blows full time whistle 5 minutes 12 seconds.
I give up, if managers are allowed to waste time without the ref adding it on WTF can you do?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 Aug 2022 16:21

having womens football shoved in our faces

it is shit, there I said it

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Aug 2022 09:45

Loafer having womens football shoved in our faces

it is shit, there I said it

Our England women's team would make you look like a pant-pissing under 10s player on the pitch. In fact, having played and struggled against the Fulham Ladies side (in a non-competitive charity game, and they aren't even a top tier side), I can conclude that your post is nonsense bravado.